V1210 - Northern Ireland (Abortion) Bill 2017 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (26)
56.52%
On the contrary, No (5)
10.87%
Abstain (15)
32.61%
This discussion is closed.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Northern Ireland (Abortion) Bill 2016, Rt Hon TheDefiniteArticle MP

Northern Ireland (Abortion) Act 2016

An Act to except abortion policy from the competency of the Irish Assembly

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions

Within this Act, 'excepted matters' and 'transferred matters' hold the same meaning as they do under s4(1) Northern Ireland Act 1998.

2: Abortion competency

Abortion is to be regarded as an excepted matter, and no longer to be regarded as a transferred matter.

3: Amendments and repeals

(1) Add to Schedule 2, Northern Ireland Act 1998:
(1) "23 Abortion law and policy."
(2) Amend Section 7, Abortion Act 1967 from:
(1) "This Act does not extend to Northern Ireland."
to:
(1) "This Act shall extend to the United Kingdom."

4: Commencement, Short Title and Extent

(1) This Bill may be cited as the Northern Ireland Act 2017;
(2) This Bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately.

NotesIn R (A and B) v Secretary of State for Health [2017] UKSC 41, it was held that due to abortion being a devolved matter to Northern Ireland, in no circumstances would Northern Irish women be entitled to abortions on the NHS, despite being UK citizens. This remedies this gross injustice by excepting abortion from the Northern Irish devolution settlement.

After the passage of V1212, the House has a clear democratic imperative from the people of Ireland to pass this Bill.

NotesIn R (A and B) v Secretary of State for Health [2017] UKSC 41, it was held that due to abortion being a devolved matter to Northern Ireland, in no circumstances would Northern Irish women be entitled to abortions on the NHS, despite being UK citizens. This remedies this gross injustice by excepting abortion from the Northern Irish devolution settlement.

After the passage of V1212, the House has a clear democratic imperative from the people of Ireland to pass this Bill.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Forgot about the passing of the last bill and cannot tag on phone: please change my vote to an aye when this is seen.
cranbrook_aspie
Kalail
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No uterus, no opinion
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
While I agree with the motivations of the honourable member, I maintain that Westminster has no right to legislate for any part of Ireland.
Abstain.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
While I agree with the motivations of the honourable member, I maintain that Westminster has no right to legislate for any part of Ireland.
Abstain.
The Irish Assembly requested that Westminster take this action in V1212.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
The Irish Assembly requested that Westminster take this action in V1212.
Still nah.
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
Forgot about the passing of the last bill and cannot tag on phone: please change my vote to an aye when this is seen.
cranbrook_aspie
One No has been changed to an Aye for Seat 35.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
Abstain.
Legit same.
Nay for this reason. The job of the Irish Assembly isn’t to ask Westminster if they could possibly accommodate the needs of the people of their own island. This is an Irish matter, so a UK matter shouldn’t extend to the people of NI, when it has to be approved by the UK.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by frankielogue)
Legit same.
Nay for this reason. The job of the Irish Assembly isn’t to ask Westminster if they could possibly accommodate the needs of the people of their own island. This is an Irish matter, so a UK matter shouldn’t extend to the people of NI, when it has to be approved by the UK.
That's all well and good but it requires a totally different constitutional settlement.
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Order!
The Ayes to the right, 26.
The Noes to the left, 5.
Abstentions, 15.

I think the Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.97%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.77%
No, but I want to start (319)
36.84%
No, I am unable to (220)
25.4%
No, I chose not to (234)
27.02%