The Student Room Group

Applied For A Job, Recruiter Already Asking For Current Salary ETC

Hi

I recently applied for a few jobs as I am going to be made redundent soon.

For one of the job applications that I put through, the recruiter has emailed me asking for my current salary, notice period, and expected salary.

The thing is, I haven't even been called for an interview yet and the HR contact is already asking me these questions. Is this a good thing? How should I respond given that I am going to be made redundant in 2 months?

Thanks
Original post by k0nzr
Hi

I recently applied for a few jobs as I am going to be made redundent soon.

For one of the job applications that I put through, the recruiter has emailed me asking for my current salary, notice period, and expected salary.

The thing is, I haven't even been called for an interview yet and the HR contact is already asking me these questions. Is this a good thing? How should I respond given that I am going to be made redundant in 2 months?

Thanks

I think they are asking to know your salary expectations and how soon you could start working with them
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I think they are asking to know your salary expectations and how soon you could start working with them

I see.

Should I be straight up with them and say that I would be available within the next two months?

It just caught me by surprise because usually companies never ask this info before even offering an interview
Original post by k0nzr
I see.

Should I be straight up with them and say that I would be available within the next two months?

It just caught me by surprise because usually companies never ask this info before even offering an interview

I would be honest yes, it's probably that they want someone to be able to start as soon as possible
Original post by k0nzr

I would give your availability. If your salary is low, then I wouldn't reveal it. Your salary requirements should be enough to see if the employer is a fit, assuming that you know what you're worth. Early in my career, I only revealed my current salary if I knew that it was high.

When I hire people, I never pay any attention to their current salary or expectations, other than to know if our offer would be attractive. I make sure that they get the appropriate salary, so that we're never in the position of having people drastically underpaid relative to others here. HR departments would gladly use the fact that candidates are currently underpaid to continue to do so. I won't - it's a recipe to lose good people.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I would be honest yes, it's probably that they want someone to be able to start as soon as possible

What about the salary etc?

I'm already missing and worrying about the fact that my current job is ending soon. As in for this new job, if they can train me up well and with the right support I think I will be a good worker.

The whole thing caught me by surprise so I am not sure if they will turn me down for being too honest
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
I would give your availability. If your salary is low, then I wouldn't reveal it. Your salary requirements should be enough to see if the employer is a fit, assuming that you know what you're worth. Early in my career, I only revealed my current salary if I knew that it was high.

When I hire people, I never pay any attention to their current salary or expectations, other than to know if our offer would be attractive. I make sure that they get the appropriate salary, so that we're never in the position of having people drastically underpaid relative to others here. HR departments would gladly use the fact that candidates are currently underpaid to continue to do so. I won't - it's a recipe to lose good people.

Thanks for this info.

It's the first time a HR contact has asked me this straight up before even offering an interview.

I am fairly junior and recently graduated from uni, so I wouldn't know much about the things mentioned on the job spec. I guess most places train you up anyways even if you don't know anything no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending