Camy Rosen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am a student from the United States who plans on studying in the UK for undergrad. I plan on studying criminology and my top two schools are Durham and Royal Holloway. I was looking for some insight in which school has to offer socially and academically and what opinions there are on both schools. I am a super spirited student who loves to get involved in everything a school has to offer. Thank you!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Camy Rosen)
I am a student from the United States who plans on studying in the UK for undergrad. I plan on studying criminology and my top two schools are Durham and Royal Holloway. I was looking for some insight in which school has to offer socially and academically and what opinions there are on both schools. I am a super spirited student who loves to get involved in everything a school has to offer. Thank you!
Hi I sent a PM. Have you got offers from these places or are they just targets?

Have you checked the syllabus and have you considered other places?
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Camy Rosen,

I'm from the United States and recently graduated with Drama from Royal Holloway! I thought I might be able to give you a bit of an idea of my experience as an American in the UK.

One thing I found appealing was just how much there is to get involved with, from Humans vs Zombies to Rugby. No matter what you're interests are, chances are that there's a society for you. I was part of the Musical Theatre Society and Savoy Opera Society throughout my studies and met some really wonderful people from all over the world with so many different experiences to bring to the table.

In terms of the campus, Royal Holloway is only 40 minutes away from London by train, so loads of students make trips into the city. I would go to see shows, visit museums, shop or just meet up with friends. I often took class trips into the city with my tutors as well, which was a great way to get to know the whole class outside of the classroom. Having London so close was definitely a privilege to take advantage of, especially as an American.

Academically, Royal Holloway was just awarded a Silver rating for the quality of teaching by the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is ranked 27th overall in the UK in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2016/17. As part of the University of London, a Royal Holloway degree is really well esteemed, and also means that during your studies you have access to loads of resources such as the Senate House Library.

If you have any questions about Royal Holloway or moving abroad, just let me know! It's quite a scary concept, but something I've definitely found to be worth it!

Susana
Camy Rosen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hi I sent a PM. Have you got offers from these places or are they just targets?

Have you checked the syllabus and have you considered other places?

Hi! Thank you for your insight! I have actually received conditional offers from both places and it really comes down to my IB scores. I want to go to Durham uni much more but I am scared that if I don't meet there standards that I will not be happy with Royal Holloway as my insurance choice.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Hi! Thank you for your insight! I have actually received conditional offers from both places and it really comes down to my IB scores. I want to go to Durham uni much more but I am scared that if I don't meet there standards that I will not be happy with Royal Holloway as my insurance choice.
Take Durham if thats what you want and go through clearing of you dont wish to go to RH. Check RH out though otherwise it is peculiar why you applied there. Susana sent you a nice offer to answer your questions, so you should take her up on it. Have a quick google as well and you will see the campuses and locations are very different. GL.
Retrodiction
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Both campuses are bubbles to some extent, though where Durham has Newcastle as its nearest city RHUL has London (for what that's worth).

The North American students I met during my time there (2010-2014) seemed to be having a great time, but as with any bubble campus you'll get out what you put in. I can't weigh in on the quality of the criminology department, but I would check the league table subject rankings for Durham and RHUL, the structure and content of the degrees and also your experience of the campuses if you plan on visiting before deciding, and then make your decision based on whichever aspects of each university you value most.

And if you choose RHUL and decide you don't like it (it's definitely not for everyone), you can always apply for a transfer. London isn't too far away so it won't be much work to go up there and check out the many great universities in the city itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (687)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (863)
42.53%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (388)
19.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads