Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is possibly the wrong subforum, but I wanted people to chat about it, so I chose this one.
    Anyway, I want to talk about remarks of exams. I can't help but feel the system is being exploited. I go to a private school, so a lot of my friends have money to burn, and they're asking for nearly all of their exam scripts to be remarked. I know there are some genuine cases of peoples scripts not being fairly marked, but a lot of the time I feel that people are just sending off their scripts because they don't like the grades they've been given, and to me this seems to defeat the whole purpose of exams!

(Original post by Aimée123)
    This is possibly the wrong subforum, but I wanted people to chat about it, so I chose this one.
    Anyway, I want to talk about remarks of exams. I can't help but feel the system is being exploited. I go to a private school, so a lot of my friends have money to burn, and they're asking for nearly all of their exam scripts to be remarked. I know there are some genuine cases of peoples scripts not being fairly marked, but a lot of the time I feel that people are just sending off their scripts because they don't like the grades they've been given, and to me this seems to defeat the whole purpose of exams!
    or maybe they just can't accept the fact that they performed poorly in the test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABBB)
    or maybe they just can't accept the fact that they performed poorly in the test
    That's what I'm saying. It's become a case of 'I don't like that grade, give me a better one'. I think it's a bit of a stupid system.

That's what I'm saying. It's become a case of 'I don't like that grade, give me a better one'. I think it's a bit of a stupid system.
    The system is hilarious, they're giving good grades out like no tomorrow

*wonders what Pete2004 is doing right now*

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they just ask for a copy back and get their own teachers to check it?

ReputationRep:
    System is not halarious. It's just ****. Pardon my french...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIOLOG)
    System is not halarious. It's just ****. Pardon my french...
    Where was the French? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    but if there only one or two marks off a particular grade is it not worthwhile? because mistakes can be made!

or is it like there maybe 10 or 20 marks off?...then that would be defeating the purpose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceilí Aiobh)
    but if there only one or two marks off a particular grade is it not worthwhile? because mistakes can be made!

or is it like there maybe 10 or 20 marks off?...then that would be defeating the purpose!
    Sometimes 2 marks, sometimes 10 marks. What's the difference anyway? If the exam board do a proper job in the first place, then there wouldn't be a need for remarks.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes 2 marks, sometimes 10 marks. What's the difference anyway? If the exam board do a proper job in the first place, then there wouldn't be a need for remarks.
    yeah, but until everyone has confidence that the examiners are doing it exactly right, then why not get a remark? Because if you end up deservedly getting an extra mark or two then you should have got these extra few marks in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceilí Aiobh)
    yeah, but until everyone has confidence that the examiners are doing it exactly right, then why not get a remark? Because if you end up deservedly getting an extra mark or two then you should have got these extra few marks in the first place.
    I'm not convinced. I know people that have gone down grades anyway, and I think it serves them right for being greedy and trying to get grades they don't deserve.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced. I know people that have gone down grades anyway, and I think it serves them right for being greedy and trying to get grades they don't deserve.
    THis is true with many of these people you speak of but surely not all and I don't see why the non-greedy ones should be penalised. I've heard quite a few incidents of bad marking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    THis is true with many of these people you speak of but surely not all and I don't see why the non-greedy ones should be penalised. I've heard quite a few incidents of bad marking.
    I said that at the beginning of my post. I've no problem if someone got say AAU on their modules - it's obvious something's gone wrong there. But when people get say ABB in their modules and want some more marks to go up a grade, it makes a mockery of the system.

ReputationRep:
    yep ok thats true. i suppose it works both ways

ReputationRep:
    OMG!!!! this makes me sooooooo mad!! i go to a comprehensive school where we are all poor and noone else cares about how they do. for my che AS last year i got AAE. i KNOW this was wrong, so i straight away asked for a remark. but as my school was crap, my teacher said " a remark will take a long time and cost alot. it is better to resit." i resat and got an A. but it was too late, it applied to uni expecting AAB (i got a B in chem cos of the cockup).

this year i got AAAAAU for my chem modules, giving me a B overall. im poor and i cant afford a remark, so im getting the script sent back first.
    in physics i got AAAAEA (but A overall so i dont care), i know these unit marks are wrong but i dont know what to do. please help?

also, do the remarks your friends keep doing change their grades atall?

incidentally its edexcel whose c*cked up my papers. a friend of mine had their 19% remarked as 91%, ironically in maths

ReputationRep:
    I recently put in one of my modules for a remark even though I had an A overall. This was because I got a D in that module and almost 100% in the rest and this module was the one I was most confident about. I wanted a remark because I know that essay was better than a D and I put in so much work for it that getting a D is a big joke. I want a remark for my own peace of mind, and to get some recognition for all my effort.

Maybe that is the mentality of those who get things remarked? Of course, getting everything remarked is absurd, but one or two is fine because exam boards are by no means infalliable. I go to a private school but I couldn't afford a remark so my school paid for it because they knew I deserved to get a remark.

And anyway, if your mark goes up, you get your money back. It is good for your peace of mind when you know these grades will stay with you all your life. I therefore think that in a number of cases a remark is entirely worth it and their worth should not be diminished by the fact that some people can afford them while others can't.

ReputationRep:
    No I agree with you on that. If you read one of my above posts you'll see I said I could perfectly understand when people were getting AAD int heir modules or something, where obviously a mistake had been made. However, lots of my friends got BBB in their modules, but want an A, so they're sending them off for remarks because they want (although probably don't deserve) As.

ReputationRep:
    No I agree with you on that. If you read one of my above posts you'll see I said I could perfectly understand when people were getting AAD int heir modules or something, where obviously a mistake had been made. However, lots of my friends got BBB in their modules, but want an A, so they're sending them off for remarks because they want (although probably don't deserve) As.
    but do the grades actually get changed to A's??? please tell me!! cos even if i got a U in my AAAAAU chem module, i want to know if it'll change
    my schools charging me £30 per remark plus £8.50 per send back. they wont let me remark unless i send back first. i want my chem remarked, i think my phys AAAAEA should be remarked and for math i got P1 as 74% which i know is wrong, but then i'll need P2 remarking in case this could be wrong too. is it just me, or do i have more possible errors than most??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    but do the grades actually get changed to A's??? please tell me!! cos even if i got a U in my AAAAAU chem module, i want to know if it'll change
    my schools charging me £30 per remark plus £8.50 per send back. they wont let me remark unless i send back first. i want my chem remarked, i think my phys AAAAEA should be remarked and for math i got P1 as 74% which i know is wrong, but then i'll need P2 remarking in case this could be wrong too. is it just me, or do i have more possible errors than most??
    It can work both way, grades can go up or down. It's the gamble you take with remarks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    incidentally its edexcel whose c*cked up my papers. a friend of mine had their 19% remarked as 91%, ironically in maths
    that's terrible but still not surprised it's edexcel... i'm considering getting a remark for one of my papers for french. i needed an A in french for my firstchoice uni, i ended up not getting it because of this E and I had As in almost all the other modules, afew of them with 90/90 but that stupid E kept me 6 points from an A.... however the fact that it is edexcel and nothing is likely to change i'm wondering if i should bother.

in general i agree tho, i don't see the point in getting a remark unless u really felt u did better on a particular paper altho i can see y some people may confuse how well they performed with what they thought they deserved.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.