Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Remarks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    that's terrible but still not surprised it's edexcel... i'm considering getting a remark for one of my papers for french. i needed an A in french for my firstchoice uni, i ended up not getting it because of this E and I had As in almost all the other modules, afew of them with 90/90 but that stupid E kept me 6 points from an A.... however the fact that it is edexcel and nothing is likely to change i'm wondering if i should bother.

in general i agree tho, i don't see the point in getting a remark unless u really felt u did better on a particular paper altho i can see y some people may confuse how well they performed with what they thought they deserved.
    LOOK AT www.geocities.com/edexhell !!! they agree!!!

seriously tho, do you think you got an E or do you think it was marked wrongly? i think you should ask for the french paper photocopy to be sent back (takes a week costs £8.50) and get the teacher and you to look at it with the 2004 june mark scheme.if its wrong, then ask for a remark. as you did good in the other modules, its likely its wrong.

by the way, it is likely to change. sometimes examiners miss out pages, questions, misunderstand things....one of my math papers got sent back due to low grade, and i found the last quarter of the paper hadnt been marked!! by looking at a photocopy, you can see if is right. but hurry-only have until 20th sept if remarking!!!HURRY THE TIME IS NOW!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    LOOK AT www.geocities.com/edexhell !!! they agree!!!

seriously tho, do you think you got an E or do you think it was marked wrongly? i think you should ask for the french paper photocopy to be sent back (takes a week costs £8.50) and get the teacher and you to look at it with the 2004 june mark scheme.if its wrong, then ask for a remark. as you did good in the other modules, its likely its wrong.

by the way, it is likely to change. sometimes examiners miss out pages, questions, misunderstand things....one of my math papers got sent back due to low grade, and i found the last quarter of the paper hadnt been marked!! by looking at a photocopy, you can see if is right. but hurry-only have until 20th sept if remarking!!!HURRY THE TIME IS NOW!!!
    LOL - great link, i'm gonna show it to all the edexcel victims i know... thanks for the advice, i do really think it was marked wrongly coz i came out of the exam feeling i had a B or C and when the class talked to the french teacher about it straight after the exam, almost everything he said should have been in the answers i did actually write. but i will ask for the photocopy before asking for the remark. thanx again.

ReputationRep:
    All papers should be remarked, before the results are given back.

If the mark that both markers come up with is not identical, it should be marked by a more experienced marker.

This would help to cut down on the amount of badly marked papers there are.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, there are way too many errors in marking exam papers nowadays........Far too many :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Well I agree to some of what you have said,but also sometimes you feel really unjustified,like when you are after the exam sure of most of your answers,and then suddenly you get a lower mark than really expected,when you know you have done better,I think remarking is the best solution,you could atleast first ask for a photocopy,then chose to remak the paper or not

ReputationRep:
    couldn't agree with u more habosh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I recently put in one of my modules for a remark even though I had an A overall. This was because I got a D in that module and almost 100% in the rest and this module was the one I was most confident about. I wanted a remark because I know that essay was better than a D and I put in so much work for it that getting a D is a big joke. I want a remark for my own peace of mind, and to get some recognition for all my effort.
    Same here! I got 100%s for 2 modules, and a D for another. What subject was this for? Mine was for British History. I can recite the essay in my head, and I know all the points really well. All my classmates had the same patterns of grades for History
    i.e. ADA, BEB, BEC etc.

The middle module gave us really crap grades.
    However, our school is getting the scripts sent back first, then getting a remark. It's weird... I KNOW I could have gotten 100% for that module because it was easy.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like remarks, just put up with the grades you've got...its seems like a lot of people are getting papers remarked and examiners cant have made that many mistakes...just resit, assume you had a bad day when you got the D or woteva... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    I dont like remarks, just put up with the grades you've got...its seems like a lot of people are getting papers remarked and examiners cant have made that many mistakes...just resit, assume you had a bad day when you got the D or woteva... :rolleyes:

NO!!! when we have worked HARD these grades are IMPORTANT they decide our FUTURE we arent causing troble, merely asking for what is JUST!
    my AEA in chem last year sooo made me MAD!! and its so easy for the examiners to eg miss out a page, a question, turn over two pages. at £3 per paper, and edexcel's 1 million to do over 2 months, plus the backlog from the doss up last year, mistakes are easy.

but i do agree about the rich posh toffs remarking a high grade B in the hope of getting an A. it devalues education.

IM GETTING THE RESULT OF MY PHOTOCOPY INTERNAL REMARK ON THURS!!!! IT TELLS ME IF I REALLY DID FAIL!!!! IM EVEN MORE SCARED NOW!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    OH YEA, WE CANT RESIT, ITS THE FINAL ALEVEL PAPERS (UNIT 6) WHICH WE'RE GETTING REMARKED. RESIT MEANS DOING THE WHOLE A2 AGAIN, AND PAYING £150 TO DO SO. B*STARDS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    That's what I'm saying. It's become a case of 'I don't like that grade, give me a better one'. I think it's a bit of a stupid system.
    It's not the system that's the problem, so much as the students who choose to exploit it! Last year, at my college, apparently, nearly everyone got Us for Paper 2 of AS Politics which was blatantly dodgy and in that situation you can understand why people go for remarks. As you said though, it does sound as if people at your school are attempting to get their papers because they can rather than because they've genuinely been cheated out of a higher mark. They might be in for a shock though, if the examiners lower their marks rather than raise them!

ReputationRep:
    When I read some of your experiences. e.g getting AAAAAU because of marking errors, I get scared! It's as if all your hard work and achievement is being taken away from you and it's out of your control ... I really hope this doesn't happen to me in my A2 year

ReputationRep:
    why do u have to do the whole A2 again?
    We just have to reject our grade and pay £11 to retake the module we didn't do well in january.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont think my school offers this.
    do you know if the errors are rare? cos i got AAAAEA in phys and this is definately 100% wrong but im not going to remark cos i got an A overall as my other modules were so good. but my AAAAAU in chem brought me down to a B so im getting a remark. both these were for edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think my school offers this.
    do you know if the errors are rare? cos i got AAAAEA in phys and this is definately 100% wrong but im not going to remark cos i got an A overall as my other modules were so good. but my AAAAAU in chem brought me down to a B so im getting a remark. both these were for edexcel.
    have you got into uni or missed out because of this??

ReputationRep:
    no thankfully my insurance uni was CCD and i got AAABB
    but im sure and certain some of my units are wrong. only with edexcel tho:
    AQA english AAAAAA
    AQA art AAAAAA
    OCR math AAABCD but this is right- maths is too hard B overall
    EDEXCEL phys AAAAEA
    EDEXCEL chem AAAAAU - B overall

do any of you remember when edexcel printed a mistake in a math ques and it was impossible i always knew.....!!
    but has this happened with anyone else's edexcel? cos 3 of my chem units were well over 90% and i know i didnt fail. i know i didnt get an E in phys, especially cos unit 5 was 1/2 practical and 1/2 exam, so i couldnt have had a bad day, and as i did good in the synoptic, it couldnt have been that i didnt know it.

im waiting for the photocopy of my chem u6 to be sent back

ReputationRep:
    no thankfully my insurance uni was CCD and i got AAABB
    but im sure and certain some of my units are wrong. only with edexcel tho:
    AQA english AAAAAA
    AQA art AAAAAA
    OCR math AAABCD but this is right- maths is too hard B overall
    EDEXCEL phys AAAAEA
    EDEXCEL chem AAAAAU - B overall

do any of you remember when edexcel printed a mistake in a math ques and it was impossible i always knew.....!!
    but has this happened with anyone else's edexcel? cos 3 of my chem units were well over 90% and i know i didnt fail. i know i didnt get an E in phys, especially cos unit 5 was 1/2 practical and 1/2 exam, so i couldnt have had a bad day, and as i did good in the synoptic, it couldnt have been that i didnt know it.

im waiting for the photocopy of my chem u6 to be sent back
    can u u still get a remark even though ur in uni? why do u want one?
    i reckon they added your sypnoptic score but forgot to add the practical!! its not unusual for them to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Same here! I got 100%s for 2 modules, and a D for another. What subject was this for? Mine was for British History. I can recite the essay in my head, and I know all the points really well. All my classmates had the same patterns of grades for History
    i.e. ADA, BEB, BEC etc.

The middle module gave us really crap grades.
    However, our school is getting the scripts sent back first, then getting a remark. It's weird... I KNOW I could have gotten 100% for that module because it was easy.
    lol. Same here. Did you do AQA? I did British history ww1 and it was very similar to the question i had in a "mock" exam where i was two maks off an A. But in the real thing it scraped a D? I came out of the exam feeling really confident than any of my other exams. The same happened with European, which i got a lower mark for. But i did better in my coursework (3 marks off an A) and that was an exam in itself:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    can u u still get a remark even though ur in uni? why do u want one?
    i reckon they added your sypnoptic score but forgot to add the practical!! its not unusual for them to do this.
    yes im getting the chem remark by 20th sept after the photocopied paper. i want one cos i got a B overall, but i dont think i failed unit6 so i think it should have been an A. unless i get a remark i'll always wonder about this.

if they forgot to add my phys prac, they should go to hell. KILL THOSE B*STARDS!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 4, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.