The Student Room Group

Who isn't going to Prom?

I decided I that I wasn't going to my school prom for these reasons:

1. My best friend didn't want to go due to her anxiety so instead, we're hanging out with each other on prom day.

2. I don't want to be around people who treated me like crap.

3. I'd rather hang around with people I would truly miss when I leave school for college.

4. Don't want to be on my own, looking miserable.

I wanna know if other people aren't going to their prom and why?
Me, half of my yr is full of neeks, the people that I do respect I willl meet with between now and uni plus prom would've been dead
Reply 2
I didn't go to my Y11 prom and don't regret it at all. I hated my school, hated the people and apparently it was rubbish.
I understand your anxieties surrounding your prom. I changed school for sixth form and throughout the whole of Y12 and 13 I said I wasn't going to go for the same reasons you aren't going, I didn't want to be around people I didn't care for and even worse, being an external student I didn't know very many people. I ended up changing my mind the *week* before and I actually loved it. Everyone was really friendly and nice, even people I wouldn't usually speak to or didn't even know, so the choice really is yours, but I'm happy I went in the end but I'm sure I would've been just as happy not having gone.
Reply 3
Same, I've never actually been to a prom. I'm not in a big friend group so it'd be a bit lonely, easier to just not go
Reply 4
Original post by Sopherz
I didn't go to my Y11 prom and don't regret it at all. I hated my school, hated the people and apparently it was rubbish.
I understand your anxieties surrounding your prom. I changed school for sixth form and throughout the whole of Y12 and 13 I said I wasn't going to go for the same reasons you aren't going, I didn't want to be around people I didn't care for and even worse, being an external student I didn't know very many people. I ended up changing my mind the *week* before and I actually loved it. Everyone was really friendly and nice, even people I wouldn't usually speak to or didn't even know, so the choice really is yours, but I'm happy I went in the end but I'm sure I would've been just as happy not having gone.

Should also mention I didn't fancy spending money, but I bought my prom dress second-hand so didn't really spend more than £30 on my dress + tan, and did my own hair and makeup. So money also was a deterrent for me
Reply 5
I didn't go to my prom last year mainly because I couldn't be bothered with it all. Also I didn't want to make my parents pay so much for something that I didn't even think I was going to enjoy.

Don't feel like you have to go to prom and that you're missing out on something major because honestly it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do instead :smile:

Quick Reply