renerowe147
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am a college student who finished his first year at college, Now time to start applying for uni and I really want to do Business management, Finance and accounting or Economics but I don't have the GCSE requirements as they require a B in maths and only got a C. I can get the A level grades but does this mean I will get rejected if I applied to university for any of these course because I don't reach the entry requirements at GCSE?

I can't see myself doing anything else other than Business or Economics and most university require a grade B at GCSE at maths!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by renerowe147)
I am a college student who finished his first year at college, Now time to start applying for uni and I really want to do Business management, Finance and accounting or Economics but I don't have the GCSE requirements as they require a B in maths and only got a C. I can get the A level grades but does this mean I will get rejected if I applied to university for any of these course because I don't reach the entry requirements at GCSE?

I can't see myself doing anything else other than Business or Economics and most university require a grade B at GCSE at maths!
You can ask but dont be surprised if they say no. Why didnt you just resit?
renerowe147
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You can ask but dont be surprised if they say no. Why didnt you just resit?
I would've done but they only offered it for students who needed to resit GCSE maths
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
I would've done but they only offered it for students who needed to resit GCSE maths
You can resit as a private candidate. That means you pay yourself. If you are only applying to unis now, then resit your exam and you can put the fact you are doing so on your application. That might stop you being screened out.

You can also discuss this dilemma with admissions before you apply.
Muffscuit
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.learndirect.com/help/abou.../maths-course/

Have a look on the website above. They offer Maths qualifications at a GCSE level. It's a good alternative to do it through them if your college is not letting you resit Maths.
James9078
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Both Business and Economics are maths related, with some very difficult maths in Economics at University, I've been told. The entry requirement is there because that's the level you have to be in order to understand the course. Unless you're planning to do maths at A Level I'd suggest resitting the GCSE. Even if a university accepts you with a C in Maths at GCSE it's likely without the foundation that you'll find the course much harder.

Hope that helps. Either way your subject choices moving forward sound great.
Krissie LA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
Here in Study Britannia we will help and advise you which university to choose. Please if you would like you can come and visit us /or contact me for more information.

Regards,
Kristiana
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads