Best baguette from Greggs?

Watch
aarora
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've decided to get lunch from Greggs today. I almost always buy a pizza slice and drink but I want to get a baguette today as their quite big and look filling.

Which baguette would you guys say is the tastiest?
donkeydong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aarora)
So I've decided to get lunch from Greggs today. I almost always buy a pizza slice and drink but I want to get a baguette today as their quite big and look filling.

Probably the mexican chicken one. I am so happy you are going to Greggs, I have £2400 worth of shares in Greggs haha.
aarora
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by donkeydong)
Probably the mexican chicken one. I am so happy you are going to Greggs, I have £2400 worth of shares in Greggs haha.
Yeah the mexican chicken one looks quite nice, the only reason I've been put off from trying it is because I've had the mexican chicken oval bite before and I didn't really like that, it tasted quite bland.
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah the mexican chicken one looks quite nice, the only reason I've been put off from trying it is because I've had the mexican chicken oval bite before and I didn't really like that, it tasted quite bland.
https://www.greggs.co.uk/sandwiches

or roast chicken club baguette
mashbbk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tuna Crunch. With a cheese & onion or vegetable pasty.

(Might go Gregg's now today :rofl:)
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mashbbk)
Tuna Crunch. With a cheese & onion or vegetable pasty.

(Might go Gregg's now today :rofl:)
Please go, help my share price out, haha!
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd go with the chese savoury stottie. A fine culinary delicacy that celebrates the North East's food heritage.

Washed down with a bottle or two of Newcastle Brown. A perfect lunch.

Anyone ever wonder why the people of Newcastle are so fat?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
While Gregg's do some great pasties (though some poor ones) i tend to avoid their baguettes. Most of the chicken ones seem to have mayonnaise in and the cheese and ham one was awful, it tasted incredibly cheap.

You should have an open takeaway or sandwich shop nearby, get a baguette from there.
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
While Gregg's do some great pasties (though some poor ones) i tend to avoid their baguettes. Most of the chicken ones seem to have mayonnaise in and the cheese and ham one was awful, it tasted incredibly cheap.

You should have an open takeaway or sandwich shop nearby, get a baguette from there.
Help the share price out, brother!

We need higher than expected EPS, so the price gets driven up and more and more speculators jump on to drive the price even higher.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Help the share price out, brother!

We need higher than expected EPS, so the price gets driven up and more and more speculators jump on to drive the price even higher.
I certainly would consider an investment in Greggs based on their recent sustained results. What's the P/E like?

I'll keep the Pasty and Pizza myself though.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Never really understood why Greggs was successful? I would go to a traditional sandwich shop where you can see them making the sandwich and assess the quality of the ingredients.
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I certainly would consider an investment in Greggs based on their recent sustained results. What's the P/E like?

I'll keep the Pasty and Pizza myself though.
I think around 19, but the share price has been flat cos the company jumped from 400p a share to something like 1300p a share in a year and a bit, it went down because of brexit and bottomed at 900p a share. Now it has recovered and I am basically waiting on good results in August.

It's still a solid company, they have grown revenue year on year. It's a good UK centric play for the long term, don't expect to become rich off it, but expect a return higher than the FTSE 250.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'm a simple woman so I'd recommend the cheese and ham. Plain but tasty :yep:
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Never really understood why Greggs was successful? I would go to a traditional sandwich shop where you can see them making the sandwich and assess the quality of the ingredients.
Cheap, convenient, several well tasting items, decent reputation.

(Original post by Amefish)
I'm a simple woman so I'd recommend the cheese and ham. Plain but tasty :yep:
If you consider that tasty then your a cheap woman. The meat and cheese they use is awful.

But hey, they would not be in business if everybody had my tastebuds.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think around 19, but the share price has been flat cos the company jumped from 400p a share to something like 1300p a share in a year and a bit, it went down because of brexit and bottomed at 900p a share. Now it has recovered and I am basically waiting on good results in August.

It's still a solid company, they have grown revenue year on year. It's a good UK centric play for the long term, don't expect to become rich off it, but expect a return higher than the FTSE 250.
Bit warm then, still seems a reasonable hold though if your playing the long game.

I suspect the main threat to it is health related in terms of a more developed anti-obesity strategy. A lot of the items sold do have high levels of salt and sugar so i imagine in the long term the cakes will go, the pasties will change significantly (tonnes of salt on the bacon ones) and it will move more towards Paninis and baguettes.
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bit warm then, still seems a reasonable hold though if your playing the long game.

I suspect the main threat to it is health related in terms of a more developed anti-obesity strategy. A lot of the items sold do have high levels of salt and sugar so i imagine in the long term the cakes will go, the pasties will change significantly (tonnes of salt on the bacon ones) and it will move more towards Paninis and baguettes.
You want to buy companies that can dramatically increase revenue year on year. The share price is an expectation of future earnings discounted to today. The markets always look forwards.

Have a look at the income statement of Facebook and you will see how much of a beast of a company it is. So sometimes it is not always about P/E but more about buying quality companies at reasonable valuations.

Visa trades at a very high 57 times earnings, but that company is too awesome not to own. The same with Facebook, which trades around 39 to 40 times earnings.

I do agree, the healthy craze will attack greggs and the worst thing the government could do is tax fatty food, a bit like they do to alcohol and cigarettes. Greggs is quite a cynical play as you are hoping people eat the bad foods for the next 10 years at least, it's a play of lack of education to the poor and the need for pleasure over health. We will see how it plays out over time.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You want to buy companies that can dramatically increase revenue year on year. The share price is an expectation of future earnings discounted to today. The markets always look forwards.

Have a look at the income statement of Facebook and you will see how much of a beast of a company it is. So sometimes it is not always about P/E but more about buying quality companies at reasonable valuations.

Visa trades at a very high 57 times earnings, but that company is too awesome not to own. The same with Facebook, which trades around 39 to 40 times earnings.

I do agree, the healthy craze will attack greggs and the worst thing the government could do is tax fatty food, a bit like they do to alcohol and cigarettes. Greggs is quite a cynical play as you are hoping people eat the bad foods for the next 10 years at least, it's a play of lack of education to the poor and the need for pleasure over health. We will see how it plays out over time.
Agreed, there are certainly companies and people out there (Elon Musk=God on earth) that warrant such valuations and perhaps with the dominance of Greggs in the market, there's a case to be made. With all that being said, the market overreacts. It is far too bullish in valuation during the good times and far too negative during the bad.

For most people i think the time to buy was 2013-2015 when the markets in both the US and UK were fairly valued (imo) however today i think that while there are still worthy firms out there, the market is probably near the top of the bull run and a correction is due.
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agreed, there are certainly companies and people out there (Elon Musk=God on earth) that warrant such valuations and perhaps with the dominance of Greggs in the market, there's a case to be made. With all that being said, the market overreacts. It is far too bullish in valuation during the good times and far too negative during the bad.

For most people i think the time to buy was 2013-2015 when the markets in both the US and UK were fairly valued (imo) however today i think that while there are still worthy firms out there, the market is probably near the top of the bull run and a correction is due.
This is why I remember that great analogy of Mr Market by Benjamin Graham.....

"Mr Market is a chap who comes to you every day and quotes you a price to buy his part of the company or you to sell yours. Sometimes he is very optimistic and quotes a very high price, other times he is very pessimistic and quotes a very low price. Mr Market goes through bouts of optimism and pessimism, he is truly bipolar. The fact is you don't need to trade daily with Mr Market, he will always come back tomorrow with a new quote. What you need to do is take advantage of him. Buy from him when he is pessimistic and sell to him when he is optimistic."

According to Shiller (P/E) the market is nowhere near the levels of 1999. The bull could still run for another 4-5 years. The markets become overvalued when no one talks about market crashes, where optimism takes over. Right now we are quite pessimistic. Since 2015 the markets have slowed down their run, nothing like 2013-2014 which were the best years of the bull other than the immediate 2009 recovery.

We also need to take into account this market is being held up by low interest rates. When my bank account pays me 0.1% interest and inflation rages at 3%, I go outside to seek yield. Whether that is the corporate bond market or dividend paying stocks. This pushes up prices even more. When interest rates pick up, the market will cool down as the smart (and dumb) money moves into inevstment grade fixed income and bank accounts.

I know people who know nothing about finance who invest in stocks because of these low interest rates. Stocks are a very long term play, no money needed within 5 years should be in them. Markets can correct 20% in a space of a few weeks and that can take a whole year just to recover.
donkeydong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Carney and Haldane have signalled a great possibility of a rate hike if inflation keeps up. I know the vote will be 4-4 at least next time round, with carney having the deciding vote.

Financials, insurers and mortgage providers have started to pick up in share price because of this. This is is probably the best time to buy financials tbh. We are at an effective lower bound for the UK, rates can only go up.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you consider that tasty then your a cheap woman. The meat and cheese they use is awful.

But hey, they would not be in business if everybody had my tastebuds.
Cheap woman, I'm that too! I'm just very picky so I won't eat anything with a lot of sauces and stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (34)
7.8%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.73%

Watched Threads