Should Creationism be taught in schools?

Watch
TheDuo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
just as evolution is taught as fact in Science lessons, do you think Creationism should be taught too?
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, because it isn't fact.
username2997138
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
isn't it already taught in schools though? when I was doing my bio GCSE we had to learn why people at the time weren't accepting of the idea of evolution - the main reason being creationism and religious ideas.
it shouldn't be taught fully though - it's not that useful
nitrogenousBase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDuo)
just as evolution is taught as fact in Science lessons, do you think Creationism should be taught too?
Should be taught in religious studies, but never in science - because it aint science.
TheDuo
Rep:
?
isn't the most sensible and acceptable solution a combination of both Evolution and Creationism?
nitrogenousBase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
isn't the most sensible and acceptable solution a combination of both Evolution and Creationism?
Why is it sensible to teach something that has no empirical evidence as fact?
TheDuo
Rep:
?
(Original post by nitrogenousBase)
Why is it sensible to teach something that has no empirical evidence as fact?
I mean the theory that is was GOD who kick-started evolution, not just a random accident, but once again, teaching it as a THEORY.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is pseudoscientific nonsense and has absolutely no place in science teaching.
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, leave creationism in RE lessons. Next question.
username2997138
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tfw you respond to a thread thinking it has pure intentions but realise that "TheDuo" made it

ur dumb
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No evolution is a fact.By your logic we should also teach that the earth may be flat even though we have pictures from space showing it's a sphere.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I mean the theory that is was GOD who kick-started evolution, not just a random accident, but once again, teaching it as a THEORY.
That isn't a theory as scientists use the word, and as the word should be used in science class, because it has no evidence to support it and also isn't really falsifiable.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, because creationism is demonstrably bullsh*t.
nitrogenousBase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) That is a Deistic view, vastly different from creationism. Creationism supposes that the first few verses of Genesis were literally true. There is no evidence for this.
2) It's still barely a theory with no evidence to support it, unlike evolution.
3) Both creationism and deism should be taught as worldviews in religious studies because they are equally unscientific.
TheDuo
Rep:
?
the idea of the earth being around for 6000 years is just pure BS.
ok, when I say creationism, I more meant the idea that GOD started whatever form of evolution or whatever you believe in.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the idea of the earth being around for 6000 years is just pure BS.
ok, when I say creationism, I more meant the idea that GOD started whatever form of evolution or whatever you believe in.
Well that isn't creationism.

Regardless of term, there is zero evidence that what you're suggesting happened. So no, it should not be taught in schools.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Creationism should absolutely be taught in RE, but never in science. To claim that a belief in a God is in any way scientific is frankly damaging to the profession of science, because faith, by its very nature, cannot be supported by empirical evidence.
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Only in RE lessons (and not as a fact)
TheDuo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Well that isn't creationism.

Regardless of term, there is zero evidence that what you're suggesting happened. So no, it should not be taught in schools.
you can't be disrespecting other's views like that! that is called being intolerant and its what immature humans do.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you can't be disrespecting other's views like that! that is called being intolerant and its what immature humans do.
It's not disrespecting, it's stating fact- There is zero evidence that what you're suggesting happened. I don't care if you believe it, and I don't care if it gets taught within RE in the context of "this is what some people believe", but it should not be taught as a viable alternative to evolution because it has absolutely zero supporting evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (115)
14.3%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (86)
10.7%
Changed course offer (35)
4.35%
Clearing (58)
7.21%
Conditional offer (11)
1.37%
Deferral (33)
4.1%
Ucas Extra (94)
11.69%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.11%
Point of Entry (56)
6.97%
Self-release (116)
14.43%
Tariff Point (65)
8.08%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.37%
Withdrawal (23)
2.86%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (70)
8.71%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads