The Student Room Group

How do so many 17-18 year olds have their own car?

I'm just wondering how do so many 17-18 year olds have their owns? (e.g. Use to drive to sixth form/college) I'm know they aren't exactly good cars but when you're young a car is a car. Seriously, did their parents brought it for them and is it the parents who pay for the insurance?

I'm 22 and I can't even afford my own car, not even my mum could help me out.
Original post by jamierobinson94
I'm just wondering how do so many 17-18 year olds have their owns? (e.g. Use to drive to sixth form/college) I'm know they aren't exactly good cars but when you're young a car is a car. Seriously, did their parents brought it for them and is it the parents who pay for the insurance?

Parents/job/finance/student loans
Part time jobs and Parents.

Some of my friend's parents gifted them with a car and driving lesson packages on their 17th Birthday.

My parents are going to be paying for my driving lessons for the whole summer but I'm going to have to buy my own car.
Original post by cherryred90s
Parents/job/finance/student loans

Not all of them are students, some are full time workers
Most of them I see are like working/middle class status
Not all of them are students, some are full time workers

Yeah that's why I said job
Original post by squirrology
Part time jobs and Parents.

Some of my friend's parents gifted them with a car and driving lesson packages on their 17th Birthday.

My parents are going to be paying for my driving lessons for the whole summer but I'm going to have to buy my own car.

Lucky :frown:
Most of them I see are like working/middle class status

What exactly does this mean? Working and Middle class constitute the majority of the people and most people tend to see working and middle class people. Upper class is someone who is part of the aristocracy or the super wealthy, how often do you see any super wealthy people or people with titles?
Original post by Dinasaurus
What exactly does this mean? Working and Middle class constitute the majority of the people and most people tend to see working and middle class people. Upper class is someone who is part of the aristocracy or the super wealthy, how often do you see any super wealthy people or people with titles?

There's always at least one smart arse in every thread. Try to to explain what you said again I'm English I don't understand some of the big words you said
There's always at least one smart arse in every thread. Try to to explain what you said again I'm English I don't understand some of the big words you said

Your observation is redundant because almost everyone is working or middle class. Its like saying most people you saw with cars also had noses.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Your observation is redundant because almost everyone is working or middle class. Its like saying most people you saw with cars also had noses.

Ok, don't cry
Ok, don't cry

Why would I cry?
My dad passed down his car to me. I pay for my own insurance because I have my own job
I worked constantly all summer to afford my car and thankfully at the end of the summer i was in a position to pay the insurance, tax and the car up front. My parents paid for the mechanical check on it but thats it

I had a car at 18.
Most people have part time jobs while at 6th form/college/uni to pay for it. And you insurance does go down a lot after your first year.
Only a few people get things paid for by parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending