The Student Room Group

Low paid overseas software internship or MSc?

I've got an offer to study a masters course, I like the course and I do think I will benefit a lot from it, both socially and in terms of technical skills.

However I am a mature student now, just finishing a 4yr BSc, and I am quite eager to just get out into the working world.

I've been offered a job just outside Kuala Lumpur in a pretty cool tech area of Malaysia. The job seems great, seems to be quite an intense few months (or longer if I want) in software development at a start up company. I do feel I'd learn a lot and massively improve my coding skills by the end of it, making it a lot easier to get a higher paid job elsewhere afterwards most likely.

It pays really badly however, just about covering fairly basic accommodation, without doubt not only would I go there and not earn money, I'd be coming back with a lot less than I started with. I would, if it goes well, learn a lot about software engineering and should improve my coding massively. However my main goal is to get into robotics, which the coding would be useful for, but it would be somewhat unrelated (no C++, ROS, control systems, elections etc).

Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending