Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard0328)
    Do you have a list of modules yet? I have finished that course. Very interesting but there was a lot on it

I haven't had a list just had confirmation for start date and where to meet, what modules did you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaGlypta)
    I haven't had a list just had confirmation for start date and where to meet, what modules did you study?
    Let me get home from work (I left at 0845 yesterday morning and haven't been home yet) and I will give you the full detailed list from my certificate.

ReputationRep:
    Let me get home from work (I left at 0845 yesterday morning and haven't been home yet) and I will give you the full detailed list from my certificate.
    Ouch, don't envy you there. What do you do?! And thanks very much it's much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, don't envy you there. What do you do?! And thanks very much it's much appreciated.
    oral communication
    written communication
    accessing information
    providing/creating information
    critical thinking
    criminology: forensic psychology
    historical study: Scottish
    information and communication technology (ICT)
    literature 1
    philosophy: arguements in action
    psychology: individual behaviour
    psychology: research
    psychology: social behaviour
    sociology: culture and identity
    sociology: human society
    sociology: social issues
    morality and belief (we debated the morality of capital punishment)
    mathematics: applications
    mathematics: expressions and forulae
    mathematics: relationships

these are all 12 week modules over the course of a single academic year (august 29th to 16th june). they will vary between colleges as they are designed by each college and then each lecturer chooses the specific topics for each module.

i have been driving trucks for the last 15 years which is why i am going to uni in september. i can make a reasonable income but at the expense of having a life. 60-70 hour weeks is quite normal in this industry but there is more to life than money.

ReputationRep:
    oral communication
    written communication
    accessing information
    providing/creating information
    critical thinking
    criminology: forensic psychology
    historical study: Scottish
    information and communication technology (ICT)
    literature 1
    philosophy: arguements in action
    psychology: individual behaviour
    psychology: research
    psychology: social behaviour
    sociology: culture and identity
    sociology: human society
    sociology: social issues
    morality and belief (we debated the morality of capital punishment)
    mathematics: applications
    mathematics: expressions and forulae
    mathematics: relationships

these are all 12 week modules over the course of a single academic year (august 29th to 16th june). they will vary between colleges as they are designed by each college and then each lecturer chooses the specific topics for each module.

i have been driving trucks for the last 15 years which is why i am going to uni in september. i can make a reasonable income but at the expense of having a life. 60-70 hour weeks is quite normal in this industry but there is more to life than money.
    Oooh how interesting! Which module did you enjoy best?

I have a relative who also drives trucks, extremely long working hours but I don't think he minds it.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh how interesting! Which module did you enjoy best?

I have a relative who also drives trucks, extremely long working hours but I don't think he minds it.
    social psychology without a doubt. i finished my research methods essay early so i had started reading social psychology a month early and started the essay on the first day of the topic. it is a very interesting topic and i went on to buy 2nd hand OU books from ebay on social psychology. it turns out that i am doing modules on it as part of my uni course anyway so it is lucky that i enjoy it. non-verbal communication is interesting too but we didnt cover that on the access course.
    speaking of which, when you write essays you are writing as if the reader knows nothing about the topic, not to a psychologist so describe and explain everything and back it up with research. they will teach you how to reference and in-text reference but they will want both in any sociology and psychology work that you submit although possibly not until block 2.

ReputationRep:
    social psychology without a doubt. i finished my research methods essay early so i had started reading social psychology a month early and started the essay on the first day of the topic. it is a very interesting topic and i went on to buy 2nd hand OU books from ebay on social psychology. it turns out that i am doing modules on it as part of my uni course anyway so it is lucky that i enjoy it. non-verbal communication is interesting too but we didnt cover that on the access course.
    speaking of which, when you write essays you are writing as if the reader knows nothing about the topic, not to a psychologist so describe and explain everything and back it up with research. they will teach you how to reference and in-text reference but they will want both in any sociology and psychology work that you submit although possibly not until block 2.
    Did you find the overall work load easy to manage? What course are you studying and where?

ReputationRep:
    Did you find the overall work load easy to manage? What course are you studying and where?
    most of the coursework is ok but it did get very heavy around easter. finishing block 2, starting all new topics for block 3 plus a sociology project, psychology project and preparing for the maths exam. keep the projects simple and manageable for your own sake and if one is secondary data (using someone elses research rather than collecting your own) then find something that you know about and simply find research on it plus a newspaper article for the common sense perspective. i collected materials for my sociology project, changed my mind on the subject then wrote it up in under 2 days. a primary data project (you design and gather everything yourself) takes much longer so do it bit by bit and again, keep it simple.

i have my confirmed place at Stirling studying Psychology plus i will choose philosophy as my 2nd subject (compulsory to make up the UCAS points in the first 2 years)

ReputationRep:
    most of the coursework is ok but it did get very heavy around easter. finishing block 2, starting all new topics for block 3 plus a sociology project, psychology project and preparing for the maths exam. keep the projects simple and manageable for your own sake and if one is secondary data (using someone elses research rather than collecting your own) then find something that you know about and simply find research on it plus a newspaper article for the common sense perspective. i collected materials for my sociology project, changed my mind on the subject then wrote it up in under 2 days. a primary data project (you design and gather everything yourself) takes much longer so do it bit by bit and again, keep it simple.

i have my confirmed place at Stirling studying Psychology plus i will choose philosophy as my 2nd subject (compulsory to make up the UCAS points in the first 2 years)
    Oh well done! I can't wait to see how my college compares. I'm excited and want to get going now but also nervous at the same time. I want to achieve and get onto my chosen course at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well done! I can't wait to see how my college compares. I'm excited and want to get going now but also nervous at the same time. I want to achieve and get onto my chosen course at uni.
    i was nervous too but i was driving 25 miles to college and i didnt get on the course until the friday before it started. i guessed there would be people in my class who had just left school and knew each other whereas i was from a different region.
    you will probably find a mixture in the class so dont worry about it plus the lecturers want you to pass so talk to them. they are really down to earth and at college they recognise you as an adult so there is no nonsense like putting your hand up to go to the toilet.
    you will probably get the course schedule before you start or on day 1. if there are any topics that i have done then you are welcome to a copy of anything i have on file. i somehow had a file on research methods saved to my USB stick (make sure you have one) which i shared with my class. i still have no idea where i got the file from but it covers everything. i am happy to help you understand anything that i have done although psychology was my subject so it might be wise to stick to that.

ReputationRep:
    i was nervous too but i was driving 25 miles to college and i didnt get on the course until the friday before it started. i guessed there would be people in my class who had just left school and knew each other whereas i was from a different region.
    you will probably find a mixture in the class so dont worry about it plus the lecturers want you to pass so talk to them. they are really down to earth and at college they recognise you as an adult so there is no nonsense like putting your hand up to go to the toilet.
    you will probably get the course schedule before you start or on day 1. if there are any topics that i have done then you are welcome to a copy of anything i have on file. i somehow had a file on research methods saved to my USB stick (make sure you have one) which i shared with my class. i still have no idea where i got the file from but it covers everything. i am happy to help you understand anything that i have done although psychology was my subject so it might be wise to stick to that.
    Ooh thanks. I'll pm you my email if that's ok. Are you going to be commuting to uni? I'm hopefully going to be moving out when the time comes

ReputationRep:
    Ooh thanks. I'll pm you my email if that's ok. Are you going to be commuting to uni? I'm hopefully going to be moving out when the time comes
    i am commuting but it is half the distance that i travelled to college

ReputationRep:
    HI all I'm 38 and about to start my access course in teaching in September! I'm a qualified TA but have decided to take the next step into primary teaching eeek!!

Has anyone done this course or is about to?

Hayley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by life before 40)
    HI all I'm 38 and about to start my access course in teaching in September! I'm a qualified TA but have decided to take the next step into primary teaching eeek!!

Has anyone done this course or is about to?

Hayley
    I am!, Im doing the access course with the Education Pathway and am applying to University for 2018 entry for the Primary Education with QTS course

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am dead excited now, just got my email for induction day on the 15th, so will finally find out what days will be in and what subjects will be doing. Very nervous and didn't sit my GCSE's and been out of education for 20 years! I also have two kids (3 & 5) so imagine it will be hard work and hectic for the next year but so worth it.

Name: Rachel
    Access pathway: Social Sciences
    Hoping to study: Either History & Philosophy or History & Latin American Studies at Stirling or if I decide commuting is not too stressful and time consuming then History & Archaeology or Archaeology & Celtic Studies at Glasgow Uni.

I am going to open days at Stirling and Glasgow in October.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when CAVA send out the certificates soon??? Need it for my condition for uni??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellisha2101)
    I am!, Im doing the access course with the Education Pathway and am applying to University for 2018 entry for the Primary Education with QTS course
    HI!! i will be doing the early years degree without QTS as its not offered at the uni near me :-( i will have to do another year after that as a paid job placement for my QTS status!

It would be great to have a online buddy through this course :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemadder)
    Hi everyone,

I am dead excited now, just got my email for induction day on the 15th, so will finally find out what days will be in and what subjects will be doing. Very nervous and didn't sit my GCSE's and been out of education for 20 years! I also have two kids (3 & 5) so imagine it will be hard work and hectic for the next year but so worth it.

Name: Rachel
    Access pathway: Social Sciences
    Hoping to study: Either History & Philosophy or History & Latin American Studies at Stirling or if I decide commuting is not too stressful and time consuming then History & Archaeology or Archaeology & Celtic Studies at Glasgow Uni.

I am going to open days at Stirling and Glasgow in October.
    Good luck!

I've just come back from enrolling onto my social sciences access course. I'm all official now!
    Feels so weird to know I'll be a full time student again after 20 years.

I'll be at college on Mondays, Tuesdays (9.30-2.30) and Wednesday morning (9.30-12.30).
    Perfect for me as my husband has Monday and Tuesday off work so can do school runs
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you need to chat im here! =), Im quite lucky that I have 3 universities very close t me that all do Primary Education with QTS. This is dependant on me passing my Maths GCSE though :cry2:

(Original post by life before 40)
    HI!! i will be doing the early years degree without QTS as its not offered at the uni near me :-( i will have to do another year after that as a paid job placement for my QTS status!

It would be great to have a online buddy through this course :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltedmoments)
    Good luck!

I've just come back from enrolling onto my social sciences access course. I'm all official now!
    Feels so weird to know I'll be a full time student again after 20 years.

I'll be at college on Mondays, Tuesdays (9.30-2.30) and Wednesday morning (9.30-12.30).
    Perfect for me as my husband has Monday and Tuesday off work so can do school runs
    Thanks, you too. Am hoping it's like riding a bike 😁.

Those are good hours, I am hoping my days will be similar to that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.