The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wonderuss
I guess I have to declare them then... I hope you're right about uni's caring more about the most recent qualification, though. I think it probs depends on the uni?

I'm currently enrolled for Access (but haven't started yet)

You must declare everything, your personal tutors will tell you this during the beginning of your Access course when UCAS stuff starts to happen. Leaving off anything is grounds to have your application voided if found out.
Reply 781
I guess I have to declare them then... I hope you're right about uni's caring more about the most recent qualification, though. I think it probs depends on the uni?

Why are you concerned?

It wasn't overly enjoyable declaring my GCSE's results as I 100% guarantee they will be by far the worst in my class, but, what matters is your recent study! You can show how you have developed, grown, and placed more emphasis on your study which has materialised in better grades.

Universities will care most about how you are doing academically now as opposed to in the past. I left with abhorrent A-level results but received offers from all unis I applied to this year - and some on my course, who had similar a-level results, have received offers to russel group unis too.
Original post by DCDCo
Why are you concerned?

It wasn't overly enjoyable declaring my GCSE's results as I 100% guarantee they will be by far the worst in my class, but, what matters is your recent study! You can show how you have developed, grown, and placed more emphasis on your study which has materialised in better grades.

Thanks
Original post by PsychTrash
Universities will care most about how you are doing academically now as opposed to in the past. I left with abhorrent A-level results but received offers from all unis I applied to this year - and some on my course, who had similar a-level results, have received offers to russel group unis too.

This is really reassuring, thanks :smile:
Does anyone know if I can claim Universal Credit whilst doing an online access course?
Does anyone know if I can claim Universal Credit whilst doing an online access course?

Nope. You are classed as a full time student so cannot claim. There may be local scholarships which you could apply for, though.

If you are not studying a full time course, you can. Not all Access courses are full time.
Original post by Notoriety
If you are not studying a full time course, you can. Not all Access courses are full time.

Mine is just an online course, it doesn't specify 'full-time' or 'part-time' ?

length of the course is 9 months - is that full time?
(edited 5 years ago)

It's still classed as full time education. They base it on how much time you're expected to be studying, which will be so many hours a week per assignment.
Hello everyone I'm starting access to health in September, to hopefully go to uni to study social work. Does anyone have any tips about the access course and if being a mature student is beneficial I'm 33 x

It used to be the case under JSA that it was full time if it was 16 hours or more of guided learning. I can only assume the same rule applies, but UC has made everything more complicated. Now they only say you may get UC if you're studying part-time rather than giving a clear-cut answer as they did under JSA.

You can ask your work coach, make a new claim or speak to a charity like CAB for advice. I would advise the latter before making any commitments.
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
It's still classed as full time education. They base it on how much time you're expected to be studying, which will be so many hours a week per assignment.

Spoiler

It is complex, so I would suggest that @wonderuss goes to CAB and sees a social security expert. It is clear UC, now eschewing the guided learning test, now ask for the course to be identified as ft or pt and specify this includes private and guided study.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sarahjw1984
Hello everyone I'm starting access to health in September, to hopefully go to uni to study social work. Does anyone have any tips about the access course and if being a mature student is beneficial I'm 33 x

Hi, I’m planning on starting a health access course next year to start child nursing in 2020 when I’ll be 33. Are you doing an online one or at a college? I think it can be beneficial, I know 2 people who are about to finish their social work degree and they are both in their 30’s. I feel the same about nursing and worry everyone will be 18 but I do think life experience is something unis like x
thanks @AndrewMarkSP @Notoriety. I'll contact CAB tomorrow.
Original post by Hopeful2020
Hi, I’m planning on starting a health access course next year to start child nursing in 2020 when I’ll be 33. Are you doing an online one or at a college? I think it can be beneficial, I know 2 people who are about to finish their social work degree and they are both in their 30’s. I feel the same about nursing and worry everyone will be 18 but I do think life experience is something unis like x

Hi im doing it at my local college I was torn between social work and midwifery but decided social work best suits myself. I have to study gcse maths along side the course too I've already done my English. I'm just finding it hard to get experience at the minute, I've worked as a hca at a nursing home but the university I'm applying to want to see more experience. I've applied at homestart but they said it could be months before they have anything. I have 4 children and not much help with childcare so i can't really get a support worker job as the hours don't suit lol. Will you be doing your course online ? Xx
Original post by Sarahjw1984
Hi im doing it at my local college I was torn between social work and midwifery but decided social work best suits myself. I have to study gcse maths along side the course too I've already done my English. I'm just finding it hard to get experience at the minute, I've worked as a hca at a nursing home but the university I'm applying to want to see more experience. I've applied at homestart but they said it could be months before they have anything. I have 4 children and not much help with childcare so i can't really get a support worker job as the hours don't suit lol. Will you be doing your course online ? Xx

I’m looking at online courses as I work part time and have a young child, I’m planning on starting my degree when she starts school so a college based course just really wouldn’t suit me now. Luckily I have my math, English and science GCSE’s (I’m guessing these don’t outdate??). Where abouts are you going to college?
Reply 797
Just submitted my last module - I am done with my Access Course!

Currently sat at 33/33 Distinctions hoping for full marks in these last remaining 12 that are to be marked.

Best of luck to everyone putting in the hard work at the end of the year. We've done it!
Just got a 6 credit maths exam to complete(next week). Ah... the joys of statistical methods. I’m so glad to be done with standard deviation and regression in exactly 1 week.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DCDCo
Just submitted my last module - I am done with my Access Course!

Currently sat at 33/33 Distinctions hoping for full marks in these last remaining 12 that are to be marked.

Best of luck to everyone putting in the hard work at the end of the year. We've done it!

Nice! :yay:Here's hoping for the last few credits!

Original post by TheJohnM
Just got a 6 credit maths exam to complete(next week). Ah... the joys of statistical methods. I’m so glad to be done with standard deviation and regression in exactly 1 week.

Good luck! (We've just started stats too...:lol:)

Latest

Trending

Trending