The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For anyone who's starting an access course this September, the new thread specially for you guys can be found here :heart:
Original post by Dominicque2
Had an overview of how well we did in Psychology. Got a Distinction in the exam, she said it was one of the best papers and I'm one of the only people that answered it correctly. :redface:

The research project, that I was nervous for on the other hand... She marked it at a Merit, but it was split in the marking criteria. Silly little things I could have fixed, like alphabetizing my references. I may have given her the wrong version to mark. She's gonna get the Moderator and another teacher to look at it. *There goes Dominicque's hopes of getting 45 Distinctions.* :frown:

Let's hope Birmingham accepts 39 Distinctions and 6 Merits. :redface:

Oh, I see. (Don't know why this didn't come up in my messages. It happens all the time, now.)

Yes, there seems to be an issue with the notifications for some people at the moment (me included :frown: ) - I think the big people up top are looking into it! Also, nicely done, good luck!

Original post by Sophielw95
Hi both of you! I am starting Access in Social Work in September. I suffer from anxiety so I have to over prepare for everything so can you help me.How are you both finding it?Do you have any advice?What are your timetables like?What textbooks did you use??Can any of you private message me ?Thanks so much Sophie

First off, try and get support for your anxiety. I'm autistic and have GAD, so had weekly sessions with someone to help me manage workload/anxiety etc; if you're diagnosed you should be able to access something similar depending on college provisions, if you're not diagnosed they still might be able to help you but it depends on their funding. Speak to them about it.

Most of the subjects are around A-level work, so A-level textbooks will help. Timetables vary but usually consist of 4 classes (3 for subjects and one for study skills) of 2.5 hours blocks over the course of the week. Main advice is the usual thing of time management - start working on stuff pretty soon after receiving it, don't let it pile up if you can avoid it, and prioritise based on deadlines/difficulty.
(edited 5 years ago)
Guys is it true that some universities don't accept online access courses?
Original post by wonderuss
Guys is it true that some universities don't accept online access courses?

Not heard of that. So long as it's an actual access course and not something weird they're trying to fob off as one I wouldn't see a problem. But it's down to the uni to decide I guess, so you're best off talking to admissions departments.
Original post by AmeliaLost
Not heard of that. So long as it's an actual access course and not something weird they're trying to fob off as one I wouldn't see a problem. But it's down to the uni to decide I guess, so you're best off talking to admissions departments.

I hadn't ever heard of it too but someone recently mentioned this to me. My access course is definitely an actual access course, QAA approved. I'll still email the uni's i'm interested in to make sure, though. Thanks.
Original post by wonderuss
I hadn't ever heard of it too but someone recently mentioned this to me. My access course is definitely an actual access course, QAA approved. I'll still email the uni's i'm interested in to make sure, though. Thanks.

A quick google tells me that back in 2010 some courses (e.g. midwifery) wouldn't accept DL Access courses... maybe some more hands on courses want some lab experience? Access courses used to be less well regulated though, and I think there's been a big push over the past 10 years or so to get unis to warm to access courses full stop :smile: But yeah, hopefully it will be fine. Let us know!
Original post by AmeliaLost

First of all thanks, I tried to quote your message, but it didn't come up.

I also finally heard back from Birmingham over the essay, and they said 'No'. Haha. :frown:
First of all thanks, I tried to quote your message, but it didn't come up.

I also finally heard back from Birmingham over the essay, and they said 'No'. Haha. :frown:

Birmingham said no about missing 6 distinctions?
Final portfolio has been submitted! :woo: Still bloody waiting on chem units back though, so they're going to have to submit them themselves. Three weeks wait til I know my final results...! Sat at 39/45 right now...

ed: One more grade in. 42/45! C'moonnnnn
(edited 5 years ago)
Ive just finished my access course today 😃
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Birmingham said no about missing 6 distinctions?

My admissions essay, that I basically wrote blind. I could only guess what they were looking for. :s-smilie:
My admissions essay, that I basically wrote blind. I could only guess what they were looking for. :s-smilie:

I haven't had to do any admissions essays! Is it standard for your course at Birmingham?
I haven't had to do any admissions essays! Is it standard for your course at Birmingham?

As far, as I'm aware Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences is the only course that requires an admissions essay.
(Makes you doubt yourself, man. :s-smilie:)
As far, as I'm aware Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences is the only course that requires an admissions essay.
(Makes you doubt yourself, man. :s-smilie:)

What did you have to write about?
What did you have to write about?

There were three questions, but I chosen the third one, which was to "Write about a text written or performed, that's had a significant impact in your life. Make sure to consider different perspectives."

Talked about 1984 and linguistics. Considered the Historical, Psychological, sociological and philosophical aspects of Newspeak, and how this fueled my interest in constructed languages.

But, I guess it wasn't enough...
There were three questions, but I chosen the third one, which was to "Write about a text written or performed, that's had a significant impact in your life. Make sure to consider different perspectives."

Talked about 1984 and linguistics. Considered the Historical, Psychological, sociological and philosophical aspects of Newspeak, and how this fueled my interest in constructed languages.

But, I guess it wasn't enough...

Sounds tough! Did your tutors give you any advice on how to answer it?
Sounds tough! Did your tutors give you any advice on how to answer it?

Nope! Only what was in the small brief, which wasn't very much. Who knows what it is that were actually looking for. Gave it to one of the college staff members and she thought it was great and very interesting. So, at least there's that. :dancing2:
(edited 5 years ago)
Engineering access course looks to be all done, finally got my last unit result back for my lab report on digital electronics. (pending examiner approval next week) 39 distinction, 6 merit.

Place at Bath for Computer Science looks pretty secure.
Original post by mongodb
Engineering access course looks to be all done, finally got my last unit result back for my lab report on digital electronics. (pending examiner approval next week) 39 distinction, 6 merit.

I would love to live in Bath- it's such a beautiful part of the country! It's a great university too, although they don't offer Law strangely.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mongodb

Awesome!! Friend did compsci there and loved it; doing rather well for himself now too. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience aha :smile:

It's so nice seeing people making their offers. :heart: We're all going to big school!!! :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending