The Student Room Group

GP forcing me to pay for a letter

I requested a doctor's letter (diagnosis confirmation). I had to pay for it before I see it, but I opened at the counter and it turns out it contains mistakes. It looks like they typed my information into another patient's letter, and forgot to edit properly. I said I'm not paying for it, and requested my money back. They said they can't do that - they can ask the doctor to rectify the mistakes, but they can't pay me back. Can they actually do that and keep my money just like that?
Just get the mistakes fixed and be done with it.
Original post by uncapitalised
I requested a doctor's letter (diagnosis confirmation). I had to pay for it before I see it, but I opened at the counter and it turns out it contains mistakes. It looks like they typed my information into another patient's letter, and forgot to edit properly. I said I'm not paying for it, and requested my money back. They said they can't do that - they can ask the doctor to rectify the mistakes, but they can't pay me back. Can they actually do that and keep my money just like that?

Hi,
Yes I think they can because if they rectify the mistakes you'll still be taking a letter which you'll have to pay for. I know it sucks I've had to pay for a couple with mistakes as well
Original post by Misssal2014
Hi,
Yes I think they can because if they rectify the mistakes you'll still be taking a letter which you'll have to pay for. I know it sucks I've had to pay for a couple with mistakes as well
Did they correct the mistakes then make you pay for the corrected one as well!?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Meany Pie
Just get the mistakes fixed and be done with it.
That sounds reasonable... still, I can't believe they can effectively force to you pay for a defective letter.
That sounds reasonable... still, I can't believe they can effectively force to you pay for a defective letter.

Just refuse to pay for the amended copy. You paid for an item or service which you did not receive, therefore they should make good on the agreement since you have paid already.

Simple.
Did they correct the mistakes then make you pay for the corrected one as well!?

I didn't tell them to rectify them as I was in a rush to hand it in but I don't see why they should charge again if the mistake is on their part

Have they said they'll charge you again for the rectified copy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
Have they said they'll charge you again for the rectified copy?
No, but I didn't want go through the process again and wait for a rectified version.

I wanted to hand back the defective one and take my money. They said insisted no.

What Meany Pie said, stop faffing around and get it sorted.

You either need the letter or you do not. if you do not , then why did you apply for it?
No, but I didn't want go through the process again and wait for a rectified version.

I wanted to hand back the defective one and take my money. They said insisted no.

What process is this? Why are you making such a big issue about it?
Its very simple, just send a copy back and highlight the mistakes, then get the corrected copy in return.

If you wish I can give you advice on how to go through the small claims procedure in the County Court and start litigation?
Original post by 999tigger
What Meany Pie said, stop faffing around and get it sorted.

You either need the letter or you do not. if you do not , then why did you apply for it?
I didn't apply for a ****ing trainwreck. Even if they sort out the factual mistakes, it's a horribly written piece of garbage.

It leaves out big part of my diagnosis, and gets the diagnosis date wrong by a decade for example! A DECADE! Not a typo either, wrong month and everything.
Doctors are busy people as you're aware. Do keep in my mind they can't sit down for hours and go over these things. If they made mistakes, highlight those mistakes and have them amended. They probably won't pay you back because regardless of the mistake, the doctor still spent time developing that letter for you. As long as they will amend the changes, I am not sure why you're so upset over it?

I can understand both sides, I suppose. Naturally you must feel frustrated, as you paid for something that wasn't useful in its current state. But similarly, they will have put at least some time into it already, and they will fix it for you without additional charge, which seems fair.

I am a little confused as to why you no longer need the letter, as I assume it was requested for a purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they offered to fix it without charge then that would be understandable they didnt give you a refund, gp's are pretty short on time hence charging for letters as the nhs doesn't pay for them to do that
I didn't apply for a ****ing trainwreck. Even if they sort out the factual mistakes, it's a horribly written piece of garbage.

It leaves out big part of my diagnosis, and gets the diagnosis date wrong by a decade for example! A DECADE! Not a typo either, wrong month and everything.

So you are unhappy and you have a stalemate because they wont give you your money back?

What do you wish to do and how legal do you wish to go? I think you are overreacting and should just get a replacement.

As it is you appear not to want a replacement so you can either complain to the practice manager or start threatening legal action. I think someone mentioned they are under a duty to exercise reasonable skills and care under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You can check but as I understand it you have a right to repeat performance under S55 and if they fail then a right to priced reduction under S56, unless the service was time critical, in which case you can have a price reduction.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/54/enacted

You can start legal proceedings here, but first write them a letter informing them of your request, your rights, their failure and threatening legal action unless they refund your money. they might pay up just to make you go away. they will probably remove you from their list as well.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online
Original post by 999tigger
So you are unhappy and you have a stalemate because they wont give you your money back?

What do you wish to do and how legal do you wish to go? I think you are overreacting and should just get a replacement.

As it is you appear not to want a replacement so you can either complain to the practice manager or start threatening legal action. I think someone mentioned they are under a duty to exercise reasonable skills and care under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You can check but as I understand it you have a right to repeat performance under S55 and if they fail then a right to priced reduction under S56, unless the service was time critical, in which case you can have a price reduction.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/54/enacted

You can start legal proceedings here, but first write them a letter informing them of your request, your rights, their failure and threatening legal action unless they refund your money. they might pay up just to make you go away. they will probably remove you from their list as well.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I appreciate all the advise from you and others in this thread. Thanks.

I have calmed down now - I'm letting them fix the letter, so it's all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending