The Student Room Group

Cartilage Piercing With Gun

DO NOT TELL ME A NEEDLE IS BETTER - I ALREADY KNOW.

Let's say there is no other option and a piercing gun has to be used to pierce the cartilage of an ear.

Are there any MAJOR issues with this?

(please don't go on about the choice of using a gun, just answer the question thanks :smile: )

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garethbale

Let's say there is no other option and a piercing gun has to be used to pierce the cartilage of an ear.

(please don't go on about the choice of using a gun, just answer the question thanks :smile: )

I did mine with a gun and it was fine. I have a thick lobe so at once point my earring basically got covered with skin which was quite scary, but it kind of just sorted itself out once i twirled the butterfly. just keep on twirling the butterfly and make sure it's not too tight on the skin otherwise your skin could start to grow over it. keep cleaning it too!
Reply 2
Original post by nish2910
I did mine with a gun and it was fine. I have a thick lobe so at once point my earring basically got covered with skin which was quite scary, but it kind of just sorted itself out once i twirled the butterfly. just keep on twirling the butterfly and make sure it's not too tight on the skin otherwise your skin could start to grow over it. keep cleaning it too!

I have a fairly thick lobe too.

And i'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what's a butterfly?

How did you find the pain of piercing?
needle is better
Reply 4
Original post by Meany Pie
needle is better

haha at least you were quiet about that

The blunt force of a piercing gun is much more likely to cause damage to the surrounding cartilidge.

Piercing guns have a whole host of issues with regards to contamination control.

Any piercer who would use a gun is a hack who should be avoided at all costs.

The jewellery u get with piercing guns is normally extremely low quality and is thoroughly unsuitable for a cartilidge piercing.

If a needle is not an option then don't have the piercing, it really is that simple.
I have a fairly thick lobe too.

And i'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what's a butterfly?

How did you find the pain of piercing?

the butterfly is the earring back, sorry! the pain of the piercing i didn't actually find that bad. i had my seconds done and i found cartilage hurt less, but maybe the person who did my seconds wasn't that good. i got cocky tho, thinking it didn't hurt but for me it was more the aftermath that hurt. i've had it for 3 months now, and it still hurts slightly.
Reply 7
Original post by mojojojo101
The blunt force of a piercing gun is much more likely to cause damage to the surrounding cartilidge.

Piercing guns have a whole host of issues with regards to contamination control.

Any piercer who would use a gun is a hack who should be avoided at all costs.

The jewellery u get with piercing guns is normally extremely low quality and is thoroughly unsuitable for a cartilidge piercing.

If a needle is not an option then don't have the piercing, it really is that simple.

never really answered my actual question but thanks for wasting your time :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by nish2910
the butterfly is the earring back, sorry! the pain of the piercing i didn't actually find that bad. i had my seconds done and i found cartilage hurt less, but maybe the person who did my seconds wasn't that good. i got cocky tho, thinking it didn't hurt but for me it was more the aftermath that hurt. i've had it for 3 months now, and it still hurts slightly.

oh okay thank's anyway though! :wink:
never really answered my actual question but thanks for wasting your time :biggrin:

You asked about issues using a piercing gun on cartilidge and I listed some.

It is a really stupid idea but you clearly have no interest in any advice that doesn't conform to what you want to hear.
Nooo get it done by a needle!
DON"T DO IT. I did it with an AR15 and trust me it did not go down well.
Reply 12
Original post by Bobjim12
DON"T DO IT. I did it with an AR15 and trust me it did not go down well.

Original post by humerak786
Nooo get it done by a needle!

Original post by mojojojo101
You asked about issues using a piercing gun on cartilidge and I listed some.

It is a really stupid idea but you clearly have no interest in any advice that doesn't conform to what you want to hear.

Update: It's been two weeks since I got my cartilage pierced with a gun and it is PERFECT.

No issues whatsoever, many thanks :tongue:
I got mine done with a gun and everything was fine. It didn’t shatter the cartridge or get infected. The earring was good quality real silver so that was good aswell. Nothing ever happened badly so if u know the risks ( which I haven’t heard anyone personally get) go for it. Unfortunately i had to take mine out for a job and it closed up so I don’t know what the risks are of getting it re pierced with a gun but...
Original post by est 19xx
Update: It's been two weeks since I got my cartilage pierced with a gun and it is PERFECT.

No issues whatsoever, many thanks :tongue:

Make sure you clean it and don’t twist t too much as that’s how mine became infected - it finally doesn’t hurt 8 months after - glad it’s going well so far x
I didn’t know that getting your catilage done with a gun is bad what I should do my peircing is I and it’s swollen !?
I got my helix (top part of the cartlidge) pierced with a gun and nearly 2 years later I have a lump at the back of my ear from the piercing, highly suggest that anyone who is interested in a cartlidge piercing that they get it done with a needle and not a gun.
They did answer. Major issues are•contamination issues- piercing guns cant be cleaned as well and often lead to infection and increase risk of getting a disease•the gun causes more damage to surrounding area •you get lower quality jewellery when piercing with a gun which can lead to infection and/or cause your body to reject the piercing all together. 10/10 dont recommend
I am a piercer in Claire’s, it only “shatters” if it’s done wrong. Personally I feel lobes are sorer than cartilage but afterwards it’s quite sore if u do not clean it. I would always get it done with a gun as it is is so pain free I’ve had it done 3 times now !!
Not here to tell you what to do, but I’ve seen a lot of people do it and end up with cauliflower ear (google it), you’d probably even be better off buying a needle and doing it yourself tbh

Quick Reply

Latest