Asdfghannah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I dropped out of my first year of college as I can't risk failing my a levels in the second year. I was wondering if you are able to do a btec level 3 extended diploma over the space of one year. This meaning I wouldn't be behind a year. Is this possible?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asdfghannah)
I dropped out of my first year of college as I can't risk failing my a levels in the second year. I was wondering if you are able to do a btec level 3 extended diploma over the space of one year. This meaning I wouldn't be behind a year. Is this possible?
I dont think so, especially as a lot of the coursework is marked as they go along. the best way to check is by asking: You cna do a self taught A level in a year because its just based on an exam.I thought extended diplomas were for 2 years and equivalent to 3 A levels? I sometimes get a bit mixed up, but will check.

1. Your college.
2. The customer services exam board. Most btecs are Pearson/ Edexcel
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You definitely will not be able to do an entire extended diploma in the space of one year, it is just not feasible. There are 18 units that need to be studied in order for you to get the Extended Diploma, each unit would require teaching, then time for actually completing the assignment and then a 2-week resubmission deadline if required.

You could do a BTEC Level 3 90 credit diploma and a BTEC certificate on the side and that would give you a reasonable amount of UCAS points to get you into a university.
Asdfghannah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by squirrology)
You definitely will not be able to do an entire extended diploma in the space of one year, it is just not feasible. There are 18 units that need to be studied in order for you to get the Extended Diploma, each unit would require teaching, then time for actually completing the assignment and then a 2-week resubmission deadline if required.

You could do a BTEC Level 3 90 credit diploma and a BTEC certificate on the side and that would give you a reasonable amount of UCAS points to get you into a university.
Thank you. By doing the alternative option you said, would it put me at a disadvantage when applying to university in anyway?
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you. By doing the alternative option you said, would it put me at a disadvantage when applying to university in anyway?
Yes, some universities would not accept you on the course because you do not have the full Extended Diploma, however, there would be some universities that may accept you due to the UCAS point value (Mainly low ranking universities) but you would have to get the full grades in the course, FOR EXAMPLE, if you get Distinction star* Distinction star* in the 90 credit and Distinction* in the Certificate - In the new UCAS point system that would be equivalent to 112 UCAS points, that would make you eligible to get on a *for example* Accounting and Business Management course at De Mont Fort University for 2018 entry as their requirements are 112 UCAS points. Though I would recommend emailing each individual university you want to attend first before going down this option.
Student_Kirsty
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can do it over one year but you would have to take the double corse and drop it after the first year leaving you with one A level equivalent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads