Hooke's Law and Young's Modulus

Watch
marinacalder
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys! I'm a bit confused regarding formulae for the two...

when studying SHM the tension in a spring was F= (lambda)x/l which could be shortened as F=kx (what is the relation between k and lambda?)

and studying young modulus... F=kx is used to simplify E= Fl/Ax where E = young modulus- how do all of these variables relate to one another? what is k? what is lambda? WHAT IS GOING ON?!! xD

many thanks

ALSO;

for the energy stored for young modulus graph, it is area under graph, i.e. Fx/2. But since this is a straight line i thought hooke's law would apply, giving E= (lambda) x^2/2l (obtained by integrating T= (lambda)x/l
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marinacalder)

when studying SHM the tension in a spring was F= (lambda)x/l which could be shortened as F=kx (what is the relation between k and lambda?)
F=kx=\lambda\frac{x}{l}=\frac{\lambda}{l}x

\therefore k=\frac{\lambda}{l}

\therefore \lambda=kl

and studying young modulus... F=kx is used to simplify E= Fl/Ax where E = young modulus- how do all of these variables relate to one another? what is k? what is lambda? WHAT IS GOING ON?!! xD
For a wire or rod, you can calculate the spring constant from a few other variables. Young's modulus is stress / strain, whereas the spring constant is force / extension. You can therefore calculate either from the remaining variables.
marinacalder
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
F=kx=\lambda\frac{x}{l}=\frac{\lambda}{l}x

\therefore k=\frac{\lambda}{l}

\therefore \lambda=kl

For a wire or rod, you can calculate the spring constant from a few other variables. Young's modulus is stress / strain, whereas the spring constant is force / extension. You can therefore calculate either from the remaining variables.
Oh thank you so much, this makes sense! You're explanation is so clear and to the point! Much appreciated!
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

many thanks
F/x = k = lambda/L = EA/L

That's 3 formulae linked together with proportionality constants k, lambda and E. Formulae apply when object behaves elastically i.e) obeys Hooke's Law.

k is stiffness constant (spring constant in context of springs). Represents stiffness of an object.

E is Young's Modulus. Represents stiffness of a material (not the object, by accounting for A and L).

Lambda is modulus of elasticity. Like E, but can include other moduli (shear, volumetric) in 2D/3D. E is a 1D tensile modulus. E has units Nm^-2, Lambda (as defined here) has units N.

ALSO;

for the energy stored for young modulus graph, it is area under graph, i.e. Fx/2. But since this is a straight line i thought hooke's law would apply, giving E= (lambda) x^2/2l (obtained by integrating T= (lambda)x/l
Energy = Fx/2 = (kx)(x/2) = (kx^2)/2 ... what you'd get when integrating F = kx.

Energy = Fx/2 = (lambda)(x/L)(x/2) = (lambda)(x^2/2L) ... what you'd get when integrating F = (lambda)(x/L).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads