Can someone explain Oxbridge and the colleges please?

Watch
whatfuture
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know this must sound stupid but I am not from the UK and have never lived there, but am applying there for university.
I am confused about:
King's College is part of Cambridge university, right? So if you graduate from King's, does that mean you graduate from University of Cambridge and you say you're studying at that university? If so, how come when I look at university rankings for law, it places Cambridge as first or second, and then King's as like 9th or 13th (depending on the website of course).
I'm confused, isn't King's part of Cambridge, so how do they have different rankings for law? And when you apply to Cambridge don't you apply for a specific college, so how come Cambridge is given a number rank?
Thank you!!!
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, you do graduate from Cambridge University - you were probably looking at King's College London, which is part of the University of London, not the Cambridge college.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whatfuture)
I know this must sound stupid but I am not from the UK and have never lived there, but am applying there for university.
I am confused about:
King's College is part of Cambridge university, right? So if you graduate from King's, does that mean you graduate from University of Cambridge and you say you're studying at that university? If so, how come when I look at university rankings for law, it places Cambridge as first or second, and then King's as like 9th or 13th (depending on the website of course).
I'm confused, isn't King's part of Cambridge, so how do they have different rankings for law? And when you apply to Cambridge don't you apply for a specific college, so how come Cambridge is given a number rank?
Thank you!!!
Just so you know, there is a King's College London, which has nothing to do with Cambridge, which is what you are seeing on the ranking tables. King's College, Cambridge is a part of Cambridge university, but the colleges are not seperate institutions, so Cambridge comes up as one Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whatfuture)
King's College is part of Cambridge university, right? So if you graduate from King's, does that mean you graduate from University of Cambridge and you say you're studying at that university?
The university (Oxford and Cambridge) has all the departments, handles all lectures, practicals, examinations, issuing of qualifications and other centralised services (e.g. careers).

The colleges provide tutorials, some accommodation, meals and smaller social activities. Tutors are attached to a college, but will also have a role in a department of the university.

If so, how come when I look at university rankings for law, it places Cambridge as first or second, and then King's as like 9th or 13th (depending on the website of course).
The college that you go to makes no difference to the examinations that you take, or the qualifications that are awarded - they are both done by the university. The quality of tutors may vary between colleges, but the ranking is for the quality of the university or relevant department (if subject specific).
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes it can be confusing. And here's why....

KCL is King's College London. It is a constituent college of the University of London. Similar to LSE and QMUL, but not Imperial College London which used to be, but is now separate.

And as mentioned, King's College, Cambridge is a different institution and is part of the University of Cambridge.

KCL appears in rankings, but the University of London does not.

King's College Cambridge does not appear in university rankings, but Cambridge does.

Cambridge colleges have their own public rankings, called the Tompkins Table https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/10514, but it should be treated with caution.

Oxbridge is not a university, it's a portmanteau to describe Cambridge and Oxford together. They are similar but different universities.

Simple

You could also have
Trinity College, Oxford
Trinity College, Cambridge
Trinity College, Dublin

Next you'll be asking about the rules of cricket....

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.46%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.13%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.13%
I need help with my personal statement (66)
42.31%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
24.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.69%

Watched Threads