Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone place their owa(overall weighted average) on their cvs?

I imagine its a good idea since it woud allow those attaining high 2:i 's to distingush themselves from those attaining low 2:i 's. Does any practice this and do you think theres anything wrong with it?

Also is 70% and above the standard range for 1st class degrees at most uk universities? I think I read somewhere that at durham 70-80% was a 2:i.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMEGARED)
    Does anyone place their owa(overall weighted average) on their cvs?

I imagine its a good idea since it woud allow those attaining high 2:i 's to distingush themselves from those attaining low 2:i 's. Does any practice this and do you think theres anything wrong with it?
    Why not? If you have a high 2:1 then let people know that on your CV (be sure to explain your uni's marking system a bit). I think it's a good idea for people with high 2:1's as it gives them a better chance. Personally I think that it would be better if we had a good way to discern amongst that masses of 2:1's which just missed a first and which just scraped up from a 2:2 as I think there is a massive difference between the two in terms of academic ability.

Also is 70% and above the standard range for 1st class degrees at most uk universities? I think I read somewhere that at durham 70-80% was a 2:i.
    70% is the normal, but unis all have unique marking structures (hence the need for classifications).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Why not? If you have a high 2:1 then let people know that on your CV (be sure to explain your uni's marking system a bit). I think it's a good idea for people with high 2:1's as it gives them a better chance. Personally I think that it would be better if we had a good way to discern amongst that masses of 2:1's which just missed a first and which just scraped up from a 2:2 as I think there is a massive difference between the two in terms of academic ability.

70% is the normal, but unis all have unique marking structures (hence the need for classifications).
    they vary for different universities, so employers won't have a clue what the ranges are for you - I wouldn't bother as it just wastes space, all they care about is if you meet their minimum standards then they'll interview you

drawing too much attention to it could make them think that you are overly concerned about this and don't have the confidence that you will be an asset to them

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have opinions on this?

Universities tend to differentiate between high/low 2:i's. It might mean something to employers aswell, especially since the majority of people are getting 2:i's these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMEGARED)
    Anyone else have opinions on this?

Universities tend to differentiate between high/low 2:i's. It might mean something to employers aswell, especially since the majority of people are getting 2:i's these days.
    Well I agree, times are changing and I think your mark within the 2:1 boundary will become increasingly important to employers as the number of graduates increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well I agree, times are changing and I think your mark within the 2:1 boundary will become increasingly important to employers as the number of graduates increases.
    it depends on the employer

the City firms just have a checklist as to whether they want to interview you or not - most just stipulate a minimum of 2.1, so whether it is high or low is irrelevant

also, how is the employer going to check out whether you are telling the truth - I don't think they are, so they probably just won't care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    it depends on the employer
    the City firms just have a checklist as to whether they want to interview you or not - most just stipulate a minimum of 2.1, so whether it is high or low is irrelevant
    As the number of graduates increases this may change.

also, how is the employer going to check out whether you are telling the truth - I don't think they are, so they probably just won't care
    Transcript???

ReputationRep:
    I would only do something different from normal if the employer specifically asked. Otherwise, you can safely assume that they don't care.

If the increase in graduates causes problems, then the employer may well ask for this type of thing. Probably not though as there are other things they look at, not just qualifications - they also look at work experience and extracurricular activites.

At the moment, as very few, if any, people put these things down, the employer can't really compare you with anyone can they? Obviously, if someone has a low 2.1, they're not going to say that. Also, those getting high 2.1s don't mention that in most, if any, cases. Hence, the employer can only assume that everyone has high 2.1s.

At the end of the day, you want to try and fit a CV on one page. Going into detail about your degree marks isn't really going to help your case. As I've already said, they'll use the CV to decide whether you have an interview or not - then your interview will be so much more important than what was on your CV, and you could even bring this up in the interview.

However, if you suggest that you were trying hard for a first, but missed out, then this isn't likely to impress anyone - you've failed in your objective. A lot of people at uni just settle for a 2.1, even if they are capable of a first, which is why most employers specify this as their minimum.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.