The Student Room Group

Why I left Islam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord_Mediocre
I’ve been seeking God for a while......

How have you sought Him?
Original post by Racoon
How have you sought Him?

Well, I went in store, looking for him? Didn’t hear much.

Then I tried looking for him on eBay, found a few fakes but couldn’t find the real thing.

At this point I shout in to the emptiness of the midnight darkness, still not found the big man.
Original post by Lord_Mediocre
Why do I need/want to be beautiful in heaven?

Why do I need/want to have sex in heaven?

Why do I need/want to have any form of food in heaven?

It just seems like all the earthly needs and desire have been wrapped up in their greatest form and presented as heavenly.

Almost as if they were all made up by a human, someone from a few hundred years ago perhaps.

"Why do I need/want to be beautiful in heaven? Why do I need/want to have sex in heaven? Why do I need/want to have any form of food in heaven? It just seems like all the earthly needs and desire have been wrapped up in their greatest form and presented as heavenly. Almost as if they were all made up by a human, someone from a few hundred years ago perhaps".

That's how I view the description of paradise. It does nothing for me, I would hate to live an eternity there.
Reply 503
i think some frustrated person has written quran......................its very irrationali am a non muslim and in my religion whatever banned thing has been done and stil been doing...........and i dont think i m under cursegod doesnt tells anyone to slaughter someone for doing literally anything
Reply 504
Original post by LadiesMan99
Muslims believe the Quran to be the perfect word of God. So after having concerns with Islam in general, I analyzed the Quran. The following are some of my major objections derived from the Quran that made me leave my faith.

Heaven and Hell:Why would you put me eternally in one of two places for what I did during some few years? Isn't that injust? And you know what is also injust? The fact that Satan got away from punishment when he disobeyed god. But why is that? Can't god control him? Or is he more powerful? The answer is unclear because no one recorded what he saw, I can't believe in what a person in the middle of the desert said, that he ascended to the highest heavens with an unnatural creature. And if god was as smart why didn't he send Muhammed in the 21st century where he could have recorded what he saw somehow so people can have strong faith. Moreover, heaven is somehow made for men especially because of mentionning gorgeous women over and over with wine and everything that god prohibited, that makes no sense.

Islamic Heaven:The image of heaven is painted like it's a fantasy of a 6th century arab; Lavish silk clothing, jewelery, young boys circulating wine, full breasted, large beautiful eyed virgins, shades of palm and banana tress, rivers of honey and milk, meat of the fowl etc. That heaven is not for anyone else or for all times. And it's not intended to be a metaphor. (the verses are spread out in the Quran).

Murdering a child and Moses: In an event, a man kills a child in front of Moses. Upon inquiring,Moses is told that the child would have grown up to be a non believer and that would burden his Muslim parents (verse 18:74- verse18-82). Implying it's ok to murder a child because he may not grow up to be a Muslim.

Miracles: The many fables about miracles. Moon splitting in two, fish swallowing a prophet, miracles of Moses and Jesus etc.

Transforming his cane into a python, making a road in the middle of the sea by hitting a stick on the ground, traveling to heaven with an unnatural creature are all some fairy tales that I used to believe when I was 5 years old. That's the least I can say.

People who wrote the book didn't believe them to be metaphors. They believe it literally happened. How's that any different from myths found in other religions?

Adam and Eve:The story of Adam and Eve as the initiation of creation on earth. It doesn't relate with evolution, which makes sense. There are many holes in the story. Are we then the product of incest? One couple can't populate the earth. Why would God create his own game set the rules, watch as Satan tells them about the tree and then freaks out afterwards. Unless that too is somehow a metaphor.

6 days of Creation:At one point it states , God says be and it happens. But then He needs 6 days to create the universe. Theists say, the time is different for us. For us it's 6 days, for Him it's a moment. But that's only speculation and an excuse for this inconsistency. (verses : 32:4, 50:38, 7:54, 57:4, 25:59)

Allah controls everythingAllah chooses not to interfere, hence our free will. But Quran has inconsistencies on the matter. At several points it says Allah guides those whom He wills, He controls who becomes a Muslim. If I'm searching for Him and He decides that He doesn't want me as a Muslim, i can't do anything about it. Also He says that family and children are less important than him, which doesn't sit will with me. A religious person can leave his family if God tells them too, can murder his child, can do anything if God tells them to. And how does one know that the voices or dreams they're having are a mere product of their mind and not some universal celestial being sending vague signals?

Expressing loudly is frowned upon: Verse 31:19 indicates that if you speak or laugh loudly you sound like a donkey. This expression, one would expect from a child, not from an All knowing God. He created the donkey to be ridiculed? And to use this analogy, a celestial being can do better.

Aggressive language: Killing an LGBT person, murdering atheists and hitting your 10 years old child because he doesn't pray are all barberic deeds for a religion that claims to be the most peaceful ever. In fact that's what made Okba Ibnou Nafaa and other savage military leaders to invade people that didn't even harm them like Amazighs, kill their children, rape their women, take their land and force their religion on them. This is all downgrading for a nation that was described in the Quran as the best nation that was sent to earth.

Christians and Jews: Earlier on Quran says they are both allies, people of the book. When they don't acknowledge the prophet or Islam and keep their faith, Quran curses them. The Jews were cursed first, when their relationship got bitter with Muslims, during the battle of trench. Quran said Christians are nice as they have monks and priests who are truthful. Then they were cursed too. It said not to take either of them as allies and may Allah destroy them. And then Jews are prohibited fat of animals. This sounds more like the intentions of the prophet rather than inconsistent commands of Allah. But you can marry their women to spread Islam, in hopes that they'd convert. (verses : 5:51, 5:82, 9:30, 6:146)

Context based signs:Allah talks about signs in the universe for His existence. But all these signs were observable in the 6th century desert. Ships, seas, childbirth, moon, sky without pillars like a plane, rain, sun, palm trees, pomegranates, grapevines, creation from sperm, rivers,earth laid out,mountains, having sons as wealth, hunting and tents from hides etc. Nothing even outside of the context. Elm and oak trees provide a greater shade than palm trees. They're never mentioned. The evidence of signs is not convincing to a person looking for God in modern times.

Battles:Violent verses during battles aren't really objectionable. Except a few. For example the verse 8:67 says to not have slaves unless you spread massacre across the land. But the tone of the verses is barbaric. Striking necks, fingertips, slaughter etc. The same message could be delivered in a much better way if the said God is humble, kind and hates unnecessary violence.

God, punishments and genocide: One can't really judge God on the scale of human morality. But His kill count is much higher. He admits He kills nations in their sleep at night or noon. He's no divine, humble, mature celestial being. He's jealous and vindictive. He creates pigs and monkeys as symbols of insult and mockery, then turns humans into those animals. He says when you're in power, do not show mercy. But then the prophet showed mercy at conquest of Mecca. Maybe that's another inconsistency. Cursing an ancient Arab like Abu Lahab in the divine Book of guidance seems trivial and petty for a God. He says don't attend the funerals of your non Muslim friends. And there's even a verse (22:15) that says if you don't believe in the prophet, try and hang yourself with a rope from the ceiling and see if that changes anything. That's an All wise God’s message. And He says if you're told to kill yourself for God, that is better for you .Verse 59:5 justifies the cutting down of trees in a desert. It's all a game, He creates and destroys. (verse: 32:26, 5:60, 7:4, 66:9, 111:1, 5:33, 4:65)

Rulings: Marrying your adopted son's wife is totally fine. You can never call him your true son. The person you see as your daughter in law can be your wife. This would only induce feelings of hatred between the son and his father.100 lashes to a couple who consensually has premarital sex. Why? You don't know them, they're not hurting you, no one's being raped. You barge into their lives, lash them in front of an audience, humiliate them and be pleased with yourself of having done a noble deed. If you want to educate people about sex, it's their parents job. It's their families concern. It's not Allah's concern. It's not your job to lash anyone.Cursing gays when it's not a choice and God made them that way.

Slavery:Yes, Islam liberated slaves of the 6th century. They were treated as daughters, sons, sisters, brothers. They were fed and clothed like their masters. They could demand freedom. But God knows better that in the modern world, good treatment of a slave is no excuse to own a human being. Slavery wasn't banned by Allah like wine or pork was. There was a contract that stated this man or woman is your property. Owning a human being is wrong. If God could add a clear verse about not consuming pork, what prevented him to add a clear verse about not owning human beings? Why leave that to vague examples and Muslims doing mental gymnastics trying to somehow make it sound reasonable?

LGBT: The traditional schools of islamic law based on Quranic verses and Hadith, and influenced by Islamic scholars such as Imam Malik and Imam Shafi, consider homosexual acts a crime punishable by death and a sin even it was proven scientifically that it is a human nature.

Women:Woman were given many rights and they too were liberated in Islam. But then it stopped. It's clear from reading the Quran that it's from a male's perspective in which woman at times are treated as inferiors.She can't divorce in the same way a man canThere has to be two female witnesses for one man, so if one female forgets the other can remind herMarrying any four women and amongst your many many concubines, but women don't have the same choicesIf a woman is raped and can't produce four witnesses. She might even get punished herself. She wouldn't get justiceVerse 24:31 says “…. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment…” Meaning, a woman should not move in a way that reveals her body. It restricts you in illogical ways. You play sports, you're sinning. You can't dance, get excited and express it.One can beat women if she cheats (yes I've heard the miswaq example) the woman can't beat a man.Outside of the Quran, there are many other problems with the mere idea of God. One look at innocent children dying of horrible diseases, being tortured in pain, may make a logical believer question the idea of a merciful loving God.Or if one digs deep into history and looks at the religion's role models, they're found to have done some questionable things. They were people of their time. Who did some good and some bad things. Definitely not the perfect examples of character.And if one does a philosophical analysis of religion. It's about getting rid of your own individuality to serve men in power who claim to talk to God. To obsessively idolize a man, called the perfect human being. If you're born different in this religion, you're labeled a sinner. Organized religion suffocates dreamers and free thinkers. It makes them guilty of their ability to fly and many cut of their wings to fit in. I for one am glad I took the leap of faith away from my indoctrination.

Let's not even talk about the hadith's.

Islam has made my life miserable. I live in a country(Islamic Republic of Pakistan) where where I could be killed for leaving Islam. My parents would probably kill me if they found out before the state or people do. My life is pretty much a lie. I have no one I can share my views with or openly and freely talk about them because I fear for my life.
I have to pretend to be a good muslim in front of family,friends and everyone.

I'm sorry I know this was very long and if you didn't read all of it then I don't blame you.

Thanks for reading.

May Allah guide you to the right path. Clearly each and every point you have made has a misconception.
Original post by Af23
May Allah guide you to the right path. Clearly each and every point you have made has a misconception.

The guy is free to do whatever they want. Plus they aren’t active anymore.
Reply 506
Original post by Professional G
The guy is free to do whatever they want. Plus they aren’t active anymore.

That depends upon your beliefs but I am just doing my job to help clear the misconceptions:smile:
Original post by Af23
That depends upon your beliefs but I am just doing my job to help clear the misconceptions:smile:

Trust me. You aren’t the only one but religion is a personal choice and should be up to the person themselves. Trying to persuade them won’t really help especially when they leave that certain faith.
Original post by Af23
why does Allah insist in misguiding the OP, leaving him to his misconceptions ?

35:8 "For indeed, Allah sends astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. So do not let yourself perish over them in regret"

for Pete's sake, why should we not worry about the OP's destiny ? an eternity in hellfire is at stake and if OP does not find the right path, the responsibility sits squarely on the shoulders of Allah, who has apparently decided to lead him astray

best.
Avoid using the G word it is very offensive. If instead you replace it with the term "invisible sky fairy" you will soon realise how ridiculous ALL religion is.
Original post by LadiesMan99
Muslims believe the Quran to be the perfect word of God. So after having concerns with Islam in general, I analyzed the Quran. The following are some of my major objections derived from the Quran that made me leave my faith.

Heaven and Hell:Why would you put me eternally in one of two places for what I did during some few years? Isn't that injust? And you know what is also injust? The fact that Satan got away from punishment when he disobeyed god. But why is that? Can't god control him? Or is he more powerful? The answer is unclear because no one recorded what he saw, I can't believe in what a person in the middle of the desert said, that he ascended to the highest heavens with an unnatural creature. And if god was as smart why didn't he send Muhammed in the 21st century where he could have recorded what he saw somehow so people can have strong faith. Moreover, heaven is somehow made for men especially because of mentionning gorgeous women over and over with wine and everything that god prohibited, that makes no sense.

Islamic Heaven:The image of heaven is painted like it's a fantasy of a 6th century arab; Lavish silk clothing, jewelery, young boys circulating wine, full breasted, large beautiful eyed virgins, shades of palm and banana tress, rivers of honey and milk, meat of the fowl etc. That heaven is not for anyone else or for all times. And it's not intended to be a metaphor. (the verses are spread out in the Quran).

Murdering a child and Moses: In an event, a man kills a child in front of Moses. Upon inquiring,Moses is told that the child would have grown up to be a non believer and that would burden his Muslim parents (verse 18:74- verse18-82). Implying it's ok to murder a child because he may not grow up to be a Muslim.

Miracles: The many fables about miracles. Moon splitting in two, fish swallowing a prophet, miracles of Moses and Jesus etc.

Transforming his cane into a python, making a road in the middle of the sea by hitting a stick on the ground, traveling to heaven with an unnatural creature are all some fairy tales that I used to believe when I was 5 years old. That's the least I can say.

People who wrote the book didn't believe them to be metaphors. They believe it literally happened. How's that any different from myths found in other religions?

Adam and Eve:The story of Adam and Eve as the initiation of creation on earth. It doesn't relate with evolution, which makes sense. There are many holes in the story. Are we then the product of incest? One couple can't populate the earth. Why would God create his own game set the rules, watch as Satan tells them about the tree and then freaks out afterwards. Unless that too is somehow a metaphor.

6 days of Creation:At one point it states , God says be and it happens. But then He needs 6 days to create the universe. Theists say, the time is different for us. For us it's 6 days, for Him it's a moment. But that's only speculation and an excuse for this inconsistency. (verses : 32:4, 50:38, 7:54, 57:4, 25:59)

Allah controls everythingAllah chooses not to interfere, hence our free will. But Quran has inconsistencies on the matter. At several points it says Allah guides those whom He wills, He controls who becomes a Muslim. If I'm searching for Him and He decides that He doesn't want me as a Muslim, i can't do anything about it. Also He says that family and children are less important than him, which doesn't sit will with me. A religious person can leave his family if God tells them too, can murder his child, can do anything if God tells them to. And how does one know that the voices or dreams they're having are a mere product of their mind and not some universal celestial being sending vague signals?

Expressing loudly is frowned upon: Verse 31:19 indicates that if you speak or laugh loudly you sound like a donkey. This expression, one would expect from a child, not from an All knowing God. He created the donkey to be ridiculed? And to use this analogy, a celestial being can do better.

Aggressive language: Killing an LGBT person, murdering atheists and hitting your 10 years old child because he doesn't pray are all barberic deeds for a religion that claims to be the most peaceful ever. In fact that's​ what made Okba Ibnou Nafaa and other savage military leaders to invade people that didn't even harm them like Amazighs, kill their children, rape their women, take their land and force their religion on them. This is all downgrading for a nation that was described in the Quran as the best nation that was sent to earth.

Christians and Jews: Earlier on Quran says they are both allies, people of the book. When they don't acknowledge the prophet or Islam and keep their faith, Quran curses them. The Jews were cursed first, when their relationship got bitter with Muslims, during the battle of trench. Quran said Christians are nice as they have monks and priests who are truthful. Then they were cursed too. It said not to take either of them as allies and may Allah destroy them. And then Jews are prohibited fat of animals. This sounds more like the intentions of the prophet rather than inconsistent commands of Allah. But you can marry their women to spread Islam, in hopes that they'd convert. (verses : 5:51, 5:82, 9:30, 6:146)

Context based signs:Allah talks about signs in the universe for His existence. But all these signs were observable in the 6th century desert. Ships, seas, childbirth, moon, sky without pillars like a plane, rain, sun, palm trees, pomegranates, grapevines, creation from sperm, rivers,earth laid out,mountains, having sons as wealth, hunting and tents from hides etc. Nothing even outside of the context. Elm and oak trees provide a greater shade than palm trees. They're never mentioned. The evidence of signs is not convincing to a person looking for God in modern times.

Battles:Violent verses during battles aren't really objectionable. Except a few. For example the verse 8:67 says to not have slaves unless you spread massacre across the land. But the tone of the verses is barbaric. Striking necks, fingertips, slaughter etc. The same message could be delivered in a much better way if the said God is humble, kind and hates unnecessary violence.

God, punishments and genocide: One can't really judge God on the scale of human morality. But His kill count is much higher. He admits He kills nations in their sleep at night or noon. He's no divine, humble, mature celestial being. He's jealous and vindictive. He creates pigs and monkeys as symbols of insult and mockery, then turns humans into those animals. He says when you're in power, do not show mercy. But then the prophet showed mercy at conquest of Mecca. Maybe that's another inconsistency. Cursing an ancient Arab like Abu Lahab in the divine Book of guidance seems trivial and petty for a God. He says don't attend the funerals of your non Muslim friends. And there's even a verse (22:15) that says if you don't believe in the prophet, try and hang yourself with a rope from the ceiling and see if that changes anything. That's an All wise God’s message. And He says if you're told to kill yourself for God, that is better for you .Verse 59:5 justifies the cutting down of trees in a desert. It's all a game, He creates and destroys. (verse: 32:26, 5:60, 7:4, 66:9, 111:1, 5:33, 4:65)

Rulings: Marrying your adopted son's wife is totally fine. You can never call him your true son. The person you see as your daughter in law can be your wife. This would only induce feelings of hatred between the son and his father.100 lashes to a couple who consensually has premarital sex. Why? You don't know them, they're not hurting you, no one's being raped. You barge into their lives, lash them in front of an audience, humiliate them and be pleased with yourself of having done a noble deed. If you want to educate people about sex, it's their parents job. It's their families concern. It's not Allah's concern. It's not your job to lash anyone.Cursing gays when it's not a choice and God made them that way.

Slavery:Yes, Islam liberated slaves of the 6th century. They were treated as daughters, sons, sisters, brothers. They were fed and clothed like their masters. They could demand freedom. But God knows better that in the modern world, good treatment of a slave is no excuse to own a human being. Slavery wasn't banned by Allah like wine or pork was. There was a contract that stated this man or woman is your property. Owning a human being is wrong. If God could add a clear verse about not consuming pork, what prevented him to add a clear verse about not owning human beings? Why leave that to vague examples and Muslims doing mental gymnastics trying to somehow make it sound reasonable?

LGBT: The traditional schools of islamic law based on Quranic verses and Hadith, and influenced by Islamic scholars such as Imam Malik and Imam Shafi, consider homosexual acts a crime punishable by death and a sin even it was proven scientifically that it is a human nature.

Women:Woman were given many rights and they too were liberated in Islam. But then it stopped. It's clear from reading the Quran that it's from a male's perspective in which woman at times are treated as inferiors.She can't divorce in the same way a man canThere has to be two female witnesses for one man, so if one female forgets the other can remind herMarrying any four women and amongst your many many concubines, but women don't have the same choicesIf a woman is raped and can't produce four witnesses. She might even get punished herself. She wouldn't get justiceVerse 24:31 says “…. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment…” Meaning, a woman should not move in a way that reveals her body. It restricts you in illogical ways. You play sports, you're sinning. You can't dance, get excited and express it.One can beat women if she cheats (yes I've heard the miswaq example) the woman can't beat a man.Outside of the Quran, there are many other problems with the mere idea of God. One look at innocent children dying of horrible diseases, being tortured in pain, may make a logical believer question the idea of a merciful loving God.Or if one digs deep into history and looks at the religion's role models, they're found to have done some questionable things. They were people of their time. Who did some good and some bad things. Definitely not the perfect examples of character.And if one does a philosophical analysis of religion. It's about getting rid of your own individuality to serve men in power who claim to talk to God. To obsessively idolize a man, called the perfect human being. If you're born different in this religion, you're labeled a sinner. Organized religion suffocates dreamers and free thinkers. It makes them guilty of their ability to fly and many cut of their wings to fit in. I for one am glad I took the leap of faith away from my indoctrination.

Let's not even talk about the hadith's.

Islam has made my life miserable. I live in a country(Islamic Republic of Pakistan) where where I could be killed for leaving Islam. My parents would probably kill me if they found out before the state or people do. My life is pretty much a lie. I have no one I can share my views with or openly and freely talk about them because I fear for my life.
I have to pretend to be a good muslim in front of family,friends and everyone.

I'm sorry I know this was very long and if you didn't read all of it then I don't blame you.

Thanks for reading.

Hey it’s all right . Anyway whatber u said was so true lol . No wonder islamophobia exists . I’m guessing ur family is strict af
VERY very interesting thread.
Original post by TychoPhotiou
Avoid using the G word it is very offensive. If instead you replace it with the term "invisible sky fairy" you will soon realise how ridiculous ALL religion is.

:eek: :colonhash:
What do Muslims think they are going to do with 30 virgin in heaven??? Float over them and puff a bit of steam at them?
Original post by TychoPhotiou
What do Muslims think they are going to do with 30 virgin in heaven??? Float over them and puff a bit of steam at them?

It's actually 72 virgins.
Ha ha ha 70 virgin and no c**k.. . What a tragedy!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending