The Student Room Group

Why are student finance so insensitive?

So, basically here is the story. I've applied for student finance and I am living with my mother only as I am in a family where my step father is abroad in a less developed country with no access to technology of any kind. Now, I stated to student finance that my parents are married and filled in the financial side of things for my mother and clearly stated to them on the phone that my stepfather does not earn or give us any income as he is abroad. They said okay and took that into consideration. However, they have now sent me my full finance of what I can get and they gave me the minimum amount 3000 and something for maintenance loan. That is no where near going to cover for my accommodation. After speaking to a colleague of student finance, they said that it's because my stepfather has not filled in his financial forms. I said what the hell am I supposed to do I said he has no access to technology and can't possibly fill in the form. I said he doesn't earn anything and the guy in quite an abrupt tone said "He needs to put £0 on the form and it can only be done by paper as the application has proceeded" Please explain to me how the f*** he is meant to get the forms and why the f*** would he fill in the form just to put £0. I said on the phone that why can't you just put £0 over the phone. They simply did not care and said that he needs to fill it in. He has no access to anything and doesn't earn anything as he is living with his parents over there. I am really pissed off and tbh had enough of this as all this stress has really affected my a level grades.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why don't you just fill his portion yourself?
Original post by The A-level kid
So, basically here is the story. I've applied for student finance and I am living with my mother only as I am in a family where my step father is abroad in a less developed country with no access to technology of any kind. Now, I stated to student finance that my parents are married and filled in the financial side of things for my mother and clearly stated to them on the phone that my stepfather does not earn or give us any income as he is abroad. They said okay and took that into consideration. However, they have now sent me my full finance of what I can get and they gave me the minimum amount 3000 and something for maintenance loan. That is no where near going to cover for my accommodation. After speaking to a colleague of student finance, they said that it's because my stepfather has not filled in his financial forms. I said what the hell am I supposed to do I said he has no access to technology and can't possibly fill in the form. I said he doesn't earn anything and the guy in quite an abrupt tone said "He needs to put £0 on the form and it can only be done by paper as the application has proceeded" Please explain to me how the f*** he is meant to get the forms and why the f*** would he fill in the form just to put £0. I said on the phone that why can't you just put £0 over the phone. They simply did not care and said that he needs to fill it in. He has no access to anything and doesn't earn anything as he is living with his parents over there. I am really pissed off and tbh had enough of this as all this stress has really affected my a level grades.

Typical student finance. They will accuse of lying and that its always your fault and never admit to themselves making a mistake.
Original post by TraineeBMS

What if they know it's fake because of the signature and stuff
Original post by TraineeBMS

he needs to sign it I believe and the OP cant sign it for him
What's the point university is just for the rich few 😪 Probably ain't got the grades anyway after all this
Can you not post him the papers and get him fill it out and post it back to you?
They're acting really insensitive. In situations like this, they should allow your mother to sign and declare that you're not receiving anything from your father.
Original post by Mr Optimist
Can you not post him the papers and get him fill it out and post it back to you?
They're acting really insensitive. In situations like this, they should allow your mother to sign and declare that you're not receiving anything from your father.

No unfortunately, we had tried sending him mail in the past and he don't receive it. Bangladesh is just underdeveloped like that
Honestly tbh kids who still have both their parents living together really don't know how lucky they are
No unfortunately, we had tried sending him mail in the past and he don't receive it. Bangladesh is just underdeveloped like that

Can your mother not sign it on his behalf? why don't you try and ringing them again and see if you can talk to a senior staff like a manager. Say your mother is willing to sign and declare that you are not receiving anything from your father.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Post in there. They can check your account and tell you how to proceed.

Quick Reply

Latest