The Student Room Group

I'm stuck... how do I start my personal statement?!

I'm currently trying to rewrite my personal statement and i dont know how to start it. the courses that i want to do are either environmental/wildlife conservation or environmental management and sustainability.

Please help
Original post by Freyamaryf
I'm currently trying to rewrite my personal statement and i dont know how to start it. the courses that i want to do are either environmental/wildlife conservation or environmental management and sustainability.

Please help

I'd start out by stating what you want to study and why. What is it that has drawn you to this area? Have you had an experience that you can relate?
Reply 2
Start with why you want to study this subject at uni - try to show you are interested and don't add a cliche like, 'I've always wanted to study ... since I was a baby.' Be clear as to exactly why and when you decided to study your subject.

Then talk about extra-curricular activities you have done that have prepared you for this subject. Try to add any work experiences here too

Then talk about how your other subjects link to this subject.

The final paragraph is the personal touch. Talk about the things you like - you don't necessarily need to link these to your subject. And just mention whatever you like. Maybe the person reading your statement likes it too.
Think of a moment when you were really engaged with this subject - when did you realise it was this that you wanted to study? 'I was at a science fair and I saw a demonstration of/a lecture about.....', or 'a topic with my Geography A level led me to think/find out more about ...'. Or, just why do you think this subject is important? Why does it matter?
Original post by returnmigrant
Think of a moment when you were really engaged with this subject - when did you realise it was this that you wanted to study? 'I was at a science fair and I saw a demonstration of/a lecture about.....', or 'a topic with my Geography A level led me to think/find out more about ...'. Or, just why do you think this subject is important? Why does it matter?

I agree with this! I started with this idea of an experience and I got offers from all unis for Environmental science!

Good luck :smile:
I promise once you really sink your teeth into it, writing your PS can be quite enjoyable
Original post by Freyamaryf

Please help

You don't have to to do the introduction bit first, perhaps do the other parts of your ps if you have been given a structure?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending