The Student Room Group

Acid attacks on Muslims by racist, islamophobic right-wingers

Acid attacks have been very common mostly in London. The people who are doing this are targetting mainly Brown individuals.

First of all can right-wingers condemn these acts?

Second of all what are right-wingers doing to try and stop these individuals?

Acid attacks are disgusting, I'm pretty sure BnQ sells them. Anyone can get hold of them and we don't know their intentions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zezno
Acid attacks have been very common mostly in London. The people who are doing this are targetting mainly Brown individuals.

Acid attacks are disgusting, I'm pretty sure BnQ sells them. Anyone can get hold of them and we don't know their intentions.

Lol, you almost sound happy about the whole thing. 'OHHH look, at those racist islamphobes, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO STOP THEM cuz you expect muslims to try and stop isis DONT YA'
This thread is just stupid. It should be reworded completely as it creates a misrepresentation of the right. Should I, a muslim, condemn this atrocity because I am a right winger or shall I do it because I am human?
Original post by Ciel.
Lol, you almost sound happy about the whole thing. 'OHHH look, at those racist islamphobes, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO STOP THEM cuz you expect muslims to try and stop isis DONT YA'

Ignorance is bliss.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.

Well, if you had a brain I'm doing what most right-wingers are saying to Muslims about terrorist attacks. "Muslims need to do more" etc etc.
Acid attacks are horrendous. And very cowardly. Should be mandatory life imprisonment.
These right wingers/extremists always end up mirroring one another. We have previously heard about such savagery from Islamic extremists in places like Afghanistan, now some right winger in Europe use the same strategy to attack Muslims. The Irony. In the midst of this stupidity, innocent people suffer. All sane, decent people should condemn all forms of extremism.
Reply 7
Original post by zezno
Well, if you had a brain I'm doing what most right-wingers are saying to Muslims about terrorist attacks. "Muslims need to do more" etc etc.

That's the whole point and the reason why I was mocking you *facepalm*, you are being a hypocrite.
Original post by zezno

I am almost certain that all people regardless of their position on the political spectrum would condemn such a deplorable act.

You are however making a serious false equivalence. These random acid attacks are not preventable, whereas most radicalisation take places in tight knit Muslim communities at the local mosque. Just look at the profiles of those extremists who are on the terror list or have carried out terrorist attacks in the past. They were well known within the local Islamic communities. Therefore, it wouldn't be out of place to try and encourage Muslims to flag those individuals who are showing patterns of extremist behaviour. The other aspect which you are overlooking is that the right wing expect Muslims to at least acknowledge that there are problematic parts of their scripture - only then can you hope to honestly tackle problems of extremism. Despite this, Muslims will always deny any problem within their scriptures and deflect the blame onto something else. You are spinning it as if the right expect Muslims to go out of their way to prevent extremism, but I don't think this is true.
Original post by zezno

It is mostly gang related.
Reply 10
Original post by Meany Pie
It is mostly gang related.

That may be a different issue. All I've been seeing are White males throwing acid on Muslims. Both are an issue ofcourse
Original post by zezno

Then it's not really Islamophobic then is it... It's pretty racist to assume all brown people are Muslim. A large proportion of the victims may be Muslim, but you can't paint with that broad of a brush.
Reply 12
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
I am almost certain that all people regardless of their position on the political spectrum would condemn such a deplorable act.

You are however making a serious false equivalence. These random acid attacks are not preventable, whereas most radicalisation take places in tight knit Muslim communities at the local mosque. Just look at the profiles of those extremists who are on the terror list or have carried out terrorist attacks in the past. They were well known within the local Islamic communities. Therefore, it wouldn't be out of place to try and encourage Muslims to flag those individuals who are showing patterns of extremist behaviour. The other aspect which you are overlooking is that the right wing expect Muslims to at least acknowledge that there are problematic parts of their scripture - only then can you hope to honestly tackle problems of extremism. Despite this, Muslims will always deny any problem within their scriptures and deflect the blame onto something else. You are spinning it as if the right expect Muslims to go out of their way to prevent extremism, but I don't think this is true.

Well first of all, we can prevent it by asking those buying acid in the first place what their intentions are and asking for proof.

Secondly, not everyone attacker is quiet, I think you'd agree with that. Same with extremist Muslims, someone is/groups are bound to know the person and what they're planning, or even a hutch of what their intention is.
Original post by zezno
That may be a different issue. All I've been seeing are White males throwing acid on Muslims. Both are an issue ofcourse

Have you got a link to it?
Reply 14
Original post by orderofthelotus
Then it's not really Islamophobic then is it... It's pretty racist to assume all brown people are Muslim. A large proportion of the victims may be Muslim, but you can't paint with that broad of a brush.

True, there have been acid attacks on Brown women not wearing the hijab. But you never know, for the attackers, any Brown person may be Muslim in their eyes.
Original post by zezno

Source?
Evidence?
Original post by zezno
Well first of all, we can prevent it by asking those buying acid in the first place what their intentions are and asking for proof.

Secondly, not everyone attacker is quiet, I think you'd agree with that. Same with extremist Muslims, someone is/groups are bound to know the person and what they're planning, or even a hutch of what their intention is.

I really don't think that 'ask the question' will work. You can buy a lot of caustic material online as well. It doesn't take Walter White to figure out how to inflict serious chemical damage on an individual.

Also do you mind providing statistics of these acid attacks on brown individuals?
Reply 17
I really don't think that 'ask the question' will work. You can buy a lot of caustic material online as well. It doesn't take Walter White to figure out how to inflict serious chemical damage on an individual.

Also do you mind providing statistics of these acid attacks on brown individuals?

I'm not saying the majority of attacks are on Brown people, it's just there has been a sudden rise. Look up some articles, I've received constant warnings everyday by other people in my area
Original post by zezno

It seems pretty irresponsible to make such sweeping statements then.
Reply 19
It seems pretty irresponsible to make such sweeping statements then.

Well if you did some research, it's been very common, there's no statistics overall yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending