The Student Room Group

Grenfell tower escape

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meany Pie
Just attach it your well maintained and checked eyebolt that everyone has above their window.

yeah that was just a joke lmao however I think an external staircase would have saved a lot of people
Original post by karl pilkington
yeah that was just a joke lmao however I think an external staircase would have saved a lot of people

It wouldn't. Fire containment would have done.
It wouldn't. Fire containment would have done.

Well then why do they have them in so many apartments in New York then?
This is actually a pretty good idea. Most people from each floor wouldve survived if there was an external stair on each floor as the fire had spread on the staircase inside preventing them from escaping.

As usual though with everything, there are pros and cons to consider
Or this could be used

Take a look at this picture of the Grenfell Tower fire and tell me where your staircase would be safe for a barefoot, summer-clad sleepy resident.:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/28/baby-among-dead-grenfell-fire-death-toll-reaches-80-police-say/

Probably due to poor fire containment as they all seem to have been retrofitted.
Original post by Fermion.
This is actually a pretty good idea.

Like the internal staircase, such a stair would end up being used as storage by the residents (old mattresses blocked the internal stairs) and such stuff would be a danger to passers-by as well as a means of spreading the fire.
Reply 27
Original post by Good bloke
Take a look at this picture of the Grenfell Tower fire and tell me where your staircase would be safe for a barefoot, summer-clad sleepy resident.:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/28/baby-among-dead-grenfell-fire-death-toll-reaches-80-police-say/

It doesn't take long to put shoes on, and I imagine the adrenaline of nearly dying wakes you up pretty quickly
Like the internal staircase, such a stair would end up being used as storage by the residents (old mattresses blocked the internal stairs) and such stuff would be a danger to passers-by as well as a means of spreading the fire.

I know, I did say there are pros and cons to consider with each idea and even though there are more cons its still a good proposed idea.

Which should be picked up on the regular inspections.

Because they were built without any fire safety structures and had to retrofit them as the only means of meeting new regulations. New buildings don't use them.

https://www.quora.com/When-do-buildings-need-outdoor-fire-escapes-in-the-US
Original post by difeo
It doesn't take long to put shoes on, and I imagine the adrenaline of nearly dying wakes you up pretty quickly

The fumes kill you while you are asleep actually, which is why the emphasis is on containment.
Which should be picked up on the regular inspections.

That worked well, didn't it?
Reply 33
The fumes kill you while you are asleep actually, which is why the emphasis is on containment.

The vast majority of people were woken up and got out
Original post by difeo
The vast majority of people were woken up and got out

Hmm. I think we are concerned with those that didn't, aren't we?
Reply 35
Hmm. I think we are concerned with those that didn't, aren't we?

Point is that there was plenty of people who woke up but couldn't get out. All those flashing their lights, throwing babies and jumping
Because they were built without any fire safety structures and had to retrofit them as the only means of meeting new regulations. New buildings don't use them.

https://www.quora.com/When-do-buildings-need-outdoor-fire-escapes-in-the-US

Yes but even with an egress staircase the smoke would have stopped people using it. The building was not properly designed to have an internal fire escape there was only one staircase. Therefore they should have retrofitted another one like ones in NYC,
That worked well, didn't it?

I think it was a case of mismanagement.
Original post by 999tigger
Except how many floors is that and how tall is Grenfell tower?
Maybe if they hadnt had the defective cladding then they wouldnt have had the problem in the first place.
On the night in question the outside is where the fire spread fastest.

It should have had fireproof cladding, working sprinklers, outside fire-escape stairs and a central fire-alarm system.

The cladding was one failing among many.

Had there been adequate cladding and an outdoor fire escape, then people above whose escape was blocked by the fire in the (only) stairwell would have been able to get out without getting burned by the flames outside. In the same way this country's pathetic memeing about environmentalism lead to buildings getting covered in petroleum based cladding to save energy, I can imagine the cladding issue will be resolved but some other disaster will have to happen before people realise that having one stairwell only should also be illegal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes but even with an egress staircase the smoke would have stopped people using it. The building was not properly designed to have an internal fire escape there was only one staircase. Therefore they should have retrofitted another one like ones in NYC,

Your argument appears to be They made the building combustible so should have provided external fire stairs.

The better answer is Do not make the building combustible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending