The Student Room Group

I feel as though its a waste me being female.

I feel as though being female is pointless for me. I dont want kids and although im trying to keep fit and lift weights period like cramps have always prevented me frequently. Expecially when running the cramping can come on after about a mile then i have to stop, let the cramps pass for 10 mins before continuing. Its horrible sometimes ive thought i was going to pass out. This can happen anywhere from 2 weeks before a period up until a period finishes. Ive been to the gp been checked out all was normal he said it was pms. Im not taking the pill its not my thing i find pain relief does help though. I found an internet thread with others experiencing similar apparantly it could be due to an hormone involved indehydration being similar to the one released during cramping but i wont go into detail lol as I dont even know the validity of the theory.

Anyway Ive always valued strength and having a muscular body over having breasts etc. I admire the male body how its naturally more muscular rather than fat being deposited in certain areas (which i see as a waste). Ive always gained confidence from being stronger than other females (not that id hurt anyone) i didnt understand the importance of prettyness during my teens. Ive always thought like this though. Do you think that other athletic females feel similar?
Being a girl isn't defined by how many kids you pop out of your vagina;; it's not wrong for you to not want kids or periods at all.
yes
Reply 3
Original post by TheProphetsPath
Being a female doesn't just amount to feeling 'pretty'.
I'd advise not to look online for health issues like this though, very unreliable and bad.

Its not bad to learn about otjer peoples experiences and seek information if you are aware of the limitations
I can't have kids of my own because of a medical condition, doesn't mean it makes me any less of a woman. It's up to you if you want kids or not and it doesn't degrade you at all. Just do your thing.
While female body hoards fat like it's intending to survive off it for years, it's not disadvantaged when it comes to strength and athletics. Many women can lift more weight "pound for pound" than men who train. Women also advance faster in their training and have better stamina. I am generalizing to a fault here, but men can, for example, lift 30 pounds 10 times, 35 pounds 8 times, 40 pounds 4 times and so on. This is what all the popular training techniques are based on - figuring out your "one rep max" - how much you can lift just once, then training with 80% of that.

Women don't seem to work like that. A woman might lift 30 pounds and be able to do it over and over again seemingly getting more bored than tired. Then she tries 35 pounds and can't lift it once. Since vast majority of material on training is written for men (because most women are not into it), the women who try following the techniques may fail, get discouraged or achieve no results. This is not because female body is useless, but because they're not using the right approach! Good news is you're not the only woman out there doing it. There are other lady lifters out there sharing their tips.

Not everyone can run - whether it's lungs, knees or cramps, lots of people just can't do it. Have you tried swimming? It's easier on your body, but gives you a great workout, makes you strong and might actually help you get a body shape you like (broad shoulders and if you wear a sports bra, your breasts just go missing). You can also try cycling, roller skating, skateboarding - anything that keeps you active.

If you can't afford any extra equipment or you would really like to run, try HIIT training instead of jogging. That involves doing high intensity sprints followed by walking/ mild jogging. You can get a better workout from it never going a full mile. You can also break up runs into smaller periods (do a quick spring in the morning, then another one in the evening). If you think dehydration is your problem, try drinking more throughout the day before you run and record your results. When I do long runs, I need water, but trying to drink more than a sip while running makes me feel weird/sick. I've been advised to drink as much as I can a few hours earlier and it works for me. I can complete my run without shriveling to a raisin (but then drink a giant bottle of water).

There are forums for lady lifters all over. Fitocracy used to have an active strength training community, also try reddit. Barely anyone ever is perfectly happy with their bodies, but luckily for you muscle is something you can gain with hard work. Just make sure you are staying safe and healthy before attempting new dietary or fitness regimens.
Reply 6
Original post by psuspark
While female body hoards fat like it's intending to survive off it for years, it's not disadvantaged when it comes to strength and athletics. Many women can lift more weight "pound for pound" than men who train. Women also advance faster in their training and have better stamina. I am generalizing to a fault here, but men can, for example, lift 30 pounds 10 times, 35 pounds 8 times, 40 pounds 4 times and so on. This is what all the popular training techniques are based on - figuring out your "one rep max" - how much you can lift just once, then training with 80% of that.

Women don't seem to work like that. A woman might lift 30 pounds and be able to do it over and over again seemingly getting more bored than tired. Then she tries 35 pounds and can't lift it once. Since vast majority of material on training is written for men (because most women are not into it), the women who try following the techniques may fail, get discouraged or achieve no results. This is not because female body is useless, but because they're not using the right approach! Good news is you're not the only woman out there doing it. There are other lady lifters out there sharing their tips.

Not everyone can run - whether it's lungs, knees or cramps, lots of people just can't do it. Have you tried swimming? It's easier on your body, but gives you a great workout, makes you strong and might actually help you get a body shape you like (broad shoulders and if you wear a sports bra, your breasts just go missing). You can also try cycling, roller skating, skateboarding - anything that keeps you active.

If you can't afford any extra equipment or you would really like to run, try HIIT training instead of jogging. That involves doing high intensity sprints followed by walking/ mild jogging. You can get a better workout from it never going a full mile. You can also break up runs into smaller periods (do a quick spring in the morning, then another one in the evening). If you think dehydration is your problem, try drinking more throughout the day before you run and record your results. When I do long runs, I need water, but trying to drink more than a sip while running makes me feel weird/sick. I've been advised to drink as much as I can a few hours earlier and it works for me. I can complete my run without shriveling to a raisin (but then drink a giant bottle of water).

There are forums for lady lifters all over. Fitocracy used to have an active strength training community, also try reddit. Barely anyone ever is perfectly happy with their bodies, but luckily for you muscle is something you can gain with hard work. Just make sure you are staying safe and healthy before attempting new dietary or fitness regimens.

Thanks, maybe females do have more stamina but i personally find i have more power/strength yet really struggle with stamina. Like last year after a bit of training i could do 14 pullups and beat lots of men at sprinting but when it comes to running 3 miles or maintaining plank i really struggle. I do incorporate interval training too but i do need to drink a lot more so will remember what you said about hydrating. I'l have a look at Fitocracy as ive not heard of it, thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, maybe females do have more stamina but i personally find i have more power/strength yet really struggle with stamina. Like last year after a bit of training i could do 14 pullups and beat lots of men at sprinting but when it comes to running 3 miles or maintaining plank i really struggle. I do incorporate interval training too but i do need to drink a lot more so will remember what you said about hydrating. I'l have a look at Fitocracy as ive not heard of it, thanks.

Stamina isn't something you have, it's something you develop. On average, knowing nothing about you, if you spend 100 hours training, you'd probably have better stamina than a guy who started at the same level as you. He'd be able to run faster / lift more, but you could go on for longer - and be more flexible and have fewer injuries. Or not. That's probability for you. My point was, being female is not a disadvantage when it comes to training.

When I was in school, I could not run 500 m. I'd be completely out of breath after a third of a lap, with a sharp pain in my lungs, I couldn't make deep breaths and I got side cramps. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me, but my mother had life threatening asthma as a child and everyone just assumed it was my lungs, so I got a note saying I am excused from any kind of running and that was the end of it.

The weird thing is, I could go for a 2 day hike and keep up, I could ride a bike for hours and walk the entire day if I needed to, but the moment I tried running, I'd be instantly out of air. I decided to try C25K running on a whim a few years after school and I completed it! It was the craziest thing. I didn't think I'd be able to do that ever in my life. Then I kept going and now I can run 6.2 miles in one go. Yes, yes, other people run marathons, but this is amazing for me. The trick to C25K is running slower. By slower I mean I ran it slower than I could walk it. I believe my first successful run was at 4.3 MPH. It looked stupid. My best time for a 3 mile run used to be 47 minutes.

I just kept going at it and I got better. My best time for 3.1 miles is now 25:42. I feel like I achieved the impossible. Every C25K guide says - speed will follow. If you can't do it, you're going too fast. Then, when I couldn't go any faster any more, I reduced the speed back to a nearly walking speed and I was able to run 6 miles and then just kept going at it until my speed improved.

Look up 30 day planking challenge. Then do it. you'll be able to maintain a longer plank. That's all.
Reply 8
If I was given the choice Id have been male but I dont feel low or anything being female I just kind of accept it. If I was male Id lap it up though lol Id hit the weights like crazy and aim to achieve what i could. Lets be honest there would be more incentive to since 'resources/ achievements' apparantly make men attractive whereas these things wouldnt do much to make me more attractive (apparantly). Around females i do feel masculine but around men i feel more feminine. I dont have a problem with my body I have more of a problem with gender expectations for example im more of a tomboy than feminine and have always had interests that a male would have (weight training/boxing). With traditional gender roles I view femininity as weak and masculinity as strong but of course in reality it depends more on the individual. I suppose Im happy being 'tomboy' I guess I have the best of both worlds then i can follow my masculine interests but then I can be more feminine now and then if i feel like it lol.
Original post by Anonymous
If I was given the choice Id have been male but I dont feel low or anything being female I just kind of accept it. If I was male Id lap it up though lol Id hit the weights like crazy and aim to achieve what i could. Lets be honest there would be more incentive to since 'resources/ achievements' apparantly make men attractive whereas these things wouldnt do much to make me more attractive (apparantly). Around females i do feel masculine but around men i feel more feminine. I dont have a problem with my body I have more of a problem with gender expectations for example im more of a tomboy than feminine and have always had interests that a male would have (weight training/boxing). With traditional gender roles I view femininity as weak and masculinity as strong but of course in reality it depends more on the individual. I suppose Im happy being 'tomboy' I guess I have the best of both worlds then i can follow my masculine interests but then I can be more feminine now and then if i feel like it lol.

Totally agree with this :five:
Original post by psuspark
Stamina isn't something you have, it's something you develop. On average, knowing nothing about you, if you spend 100 hours training, you'd probably have better stamina than a guy who started at the same level as you. He'd be able to run faster / lift more, but you could go on for longer - and be more flexible and have fewer injuries. Or not. That's probability for you. My point was, being female is not a disadvantage when it comes to training.

When I was in school, I could not run 500 m. I'd be completely out of breath after a third of a lap, with a sharp pain in my lungs, I couldn't make deep breaths and I got side cramps. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me, but my mother had life threatening asthma as a child and everyone just assumed it was my lungs, so I got a note saying I am excused from any kind of running and that was the end of it.

The weird thing is, I could go for a 2 day hike and keep up, I could ride a bike for hours and walk the entire day if I needed to, but the moment I tried running, I'd be instantly out of air. I decided to try C25K running on a whim a few years after school and I completed it! It was the craziest thing. I didn't think I'd be able to do that ever in my life. Then I kept going and now I can run 6.2 miles in one go. Yes, yes, other people run marathons, but this is amazing for me. The trick to C25K is running slower. By slower I mean I ran it slower than I could walk it. I believe my first successful run was at 4.3 MPH. It looked stupid. My best time for a 3 mile run used to be 47 minutes.

I just kept going at it and I got better. My best time for 3.1 miles is now 25:42. I feel like I achieved the impossible. Every C25K guide says - speed will follow. If you can't do it, you're going too fast. Then, when I couldn't go any faster any more, I reduced the speed back to a nearly walking speed and I was able to run 6 miles and then just kept going at it until my speed improved.

Look up 30 day planking challenge. Then do it. you'll be able to maintain a longer plank. That's all.

Thats a really inspiring story thanks for sharing it :smile: Its a great thing you gave the C25K a go or else you'd have never have thought you could run which would have been a shame, so well done. . I suppose thats the good thing about distance, training plays a major role in improvement whereas with sprinting it is more you can either sprint or you cant. I'l probably try the plank challenge actually as i go to a circuit session once a week and am one of the first to collapse they take the micky (not in a nasty way) so I might train for it then turn up one evening with a 5 min plank hold so i can laugh as each one of them collapses lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending