The Student Room Group

Sussex or Leeds

I want to study international relations in uk, and I come from Hong Kong.

I found that the Sussex reached a higher ranking in this field, however, other aspects are lower than Leeds, such as employer reputation.

If I more emphasis on work experience and job, which one should I choose ?
And, if I more emphasis on quality of education, which one should I choose?
Original post by ken523698741
I want to study international relations in uk, and I come from Hong Kong.

I found that the Sussex reached a higher ranking in this field, however, other aspects are lower than Leeds, such as employer reputation.

If I more emphasis on work experience and job, which one should I choose ?
And, if I more emphasis on quality of education, which one should I choose?

Leeds University is a Russel Group University which basically means their research quality, student facilities and teaching is deemed to be at a high standard compared to other UK universities. Recently, Leeds University received a Gold rating in the TEF (Teaching Excellence framework) - which basically recognizes universities which have outstanding teaching.

According to this article https://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/3796/leeds_ranks_third_best_in_uk_for_student_employability
Leeds is apparently the 3rd best university to attend in the UK for student employability and Top 30 in the world for employability.

Sussex university only managed to receive a Silver rating in the (TEF) which is still good but lower than Leeds. However, in the UK rankings for International relations Sussex is 15th yet Leeds is 21st which isn't low at all. Additionally, in 2016, 96% of Sussex grads were either employed or went on to further study and only 4% left unemployed.

You can find more statistical information on employment rates of Sussex grads here:
http://m.sussex.ac.uk/careers/whatourgraduatesdo

So which ever one you go for, you would be going to a good university regardless, but, in theory Leeds tops Sussex.
(edited 6 years ago)
Disagree, I'd argue that Sussex has a superior IR department, and this is reflected by its reputation among academics in the field. I'd be cautious about trusting league tables (I'm sure you could find one that puts Sussex above Leeds, for example).

Also, given the politics surrounding the TEF, I would be sceptical of that too - I believe Sussex boycotted the National Student Survey, which feeds into the aggregate Teaching Excellence Framework score, possibly negatively affecting it whilst not necessarily being a good indication of teaching quality.

Furthermore, these stats about '96% employed' or whatever are pretty much useless unless they're gradated by level of employment. I'm sure I contributed positively to the University of Bristol's vital statistics whilst working in a call centre and for Deliveroo.

I appreciate that as an overseas student, you don't have much to work with besides rankings and scores and league tables, but they are not generally that trustworthy.

You need to look instead at the course content - what do you want to learn about? What is the department's research profile? Are there any particular academics who you want to learn from? Ask them to send you indicative reading lists so you can find out what kind of literature you'll be working with. In short - if you want an accurate picture, you'll need to do a bit of digging, and not relying on pre-packaged, massaged, political statistics.

As the above poster pointed out, these are both good choices and you'll do well with a degree from either of them - the difference in 'value' of their respective degrees in the job market is probably negligible. However, all other things being equal, I'd suggest that Sussex is a better place to study IR - although you'd need to look into this further to decide if this is true for you.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by tomv46
Disagree, I'd argue that Sussex has a superior IR department, and this is reflected by its reputation among academics in the field. I'd be cautious about trusting league tables (I'm sure you could find one that puts Sussex above Leeds, for example).
Also, given the politics surrounding the TEF, I would be sceptical of that too - I believe Sussex boycotted the National Student Survey, which feeds into the aggregate Teaching Excellence Framework score, possibly negatively affecting it whilst not necessarily being a good indication of teaching quality.

Furthermore, these stats about '96% employed' or whatever are pretty much useless unless they're gradated by level of employment. I'm sure I contributed positively to the University of Bristol's vital statistics whilst working in a call centre and for Deliveroo.

I appreciate that as an overseas student, you don't have much to work with besides rankings and scores and league tables, but they are not generally that trustworthy.

You need to look instead at the course content - what do you want to learn about? What is the department's research profile? Are there any particular academics who you want to learn from? Ask them to send you indicative reading lists so you can find out what kind of literature you'll be working with. In short - if you want an accurate picture, you'll need to do a bit of digging, and not relying on pre-packaged, massaged, political statistics.

As the above poster pointed out, these are both good choices and you'll do well with a degree from either of them - the difference in 'value' of their respective degrees in the job market is probably negligible. However, all other things being equal, I'd suggest that Sussex is a better place to study IR - although you'd need to look into this further to decide if this is true for you.

Good luck!

Seconded. I'd pick Sussex over Leeds definitely for IR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending