The Student Room Group

Germany votes IN FAVOUR of same-sex marriage!

The German parliament just voted on whether to allow same-sex marriage in Germany (literally just, so I can't post a news article yet) and they have voted like so:

In favour: 393
Against: 226
Abstain: 4

Congratulations Germany :-)

Edit: I believe this bill also finally allows same-sex adoption in Germany!

Some nice images from today:

This was a gay couple in the parliament right after the results were announced

This is Volker Beck, a politician who campaigned vehemently for same-sex marriage for a very long time, being showered with confetti.

And this amusing tweet:

Die Fahrkarte zum Bundestag: 2,70€ (Bundestag ticket: €2.70)
Der Cappuccino im Besucher-Café: 3,50€ (Price of a cappuccino in the visitor's café: €3.50)
Das Gesicht von Beatrix zur #Ehefüralle Abstimmung: unbezahlbar (Beatrix's face after the results: priceless)

[Beatrix von Storch is a member of the far-right party AfD who oppose same-sex marriage, but have no seats in parliament.]

Love wins

For anyone who knows German and gets this reference I hope you find this amusing

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yet another country gone down the pan. The Bible states that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, I thought that Merkel's CHRISTIAN Democrats of all people would respect that.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
Yet another country gone down the pan. The Bible states that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, I thought that Merkel's CHRISTIAN Democrats of all people would respect that.

Oh piss off, Dot.

:nopity:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's about time
Reply 6

Ik you're a troll, but the 220-something who opposed it were part of the CDU/CSU and Merkel herself voted against it. Even if every single member of the CDU/CSU had voted against it still would have passed as she does not have a majority government.

Actually the words of Jesus from the bible can be used to justify gay marriage so...
Honestly can't believe that they've only just got round to doing it, but bravo nonetheless. Shame on Merkel for voting against, but I guess I should've expected as much, since she leads the 'Christian' Democrats, after all.
Its a surprise so many voted against it tbh,but its no surprise it got passed.
Reply 10
Original post by Mathemagicien
I guess it was mainly Merkel's party that voted against it, surprised though that so many did.

Yeah I cannot think of anyone else from any other party who would. I too was a bit surprised that so many still rejected it, but not overly because I'd been listening to the debate and you could tell a lot of the CDU/CSU members were still in a very conservative mindset about it.

Merkel herself also voted against it. (oh Count Bez already said that sorry)
Original post by Guru Jason
Actually the words of Jesus from the bible can be used to justify gay marriage so...

There is nowhere in the synoptic gospels where Jesus endorses gay marriage, he specifically says that marriage was to be between a man and a woman only (Matthew 19:4-6)
Reply 12

Aww, jealous that we can now get married, yet you will remain forever alone?
Reply 13
Original post by Asolare
Ik you're a troll, but the 220-something who opposed it were part of the CDU/CSU and Merkel herself voted against it. Even if every single member of the CDU/CSU had voted against it still would have passed as she does not have a majority government.

What a *****. So she's sooo open minded that she doesn't mind taking in millions of immigrants from a totally different cultural background...... but when gays want to get married she suddenly has a problem with it?
When are people going to be allowed to marry fish? I demand an end to this injustice.

You think a human is superior to a fish just because you're higher in the food chain? That's racist.
(edited 6 years ago)

Out of interest, can you please point me towards examples of countries where legalising gay marriage has resulted in a negative effect on that country?
Original post by bobby147
Its a surprise so many voted against it tbh,but its no surprise it got passed.

You shouldn't underestimate the backwards-thinking mentality and the capability of resistance to progress that some humans show. Intelligence is a normal distribution curve after all, and some people lie towards the far-left of it...

However, surely it isn't much to expect the person declared 'leader of the free world' to vote for gay marriage in 2017, rather than against it. Appalling.
Original post by Ciel.
What a *****. So she's sooo open minded that she doesn't mind taking in millions of immigrants from a totally different cultural background...... but when gays want to get married she suddenly has a problem with it?

She isn't open minded, she is religious and has been blocking this vote for 12 years.
Germany, yes!
Original post by Correctthink
When are people going to be allowed to marry fish? I demand an end to this injustice.

You think a human is superior to a fish just because you're higher in the food chain? That's racist.

i love it when homophobes conflate it with bestiality they;re so stupid

Quick Reply