The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2018 University Applicants

Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying:
What subject(s) are you applying for:
Which universities are you applying to:
Any other info you feel like sharing:

Scroll to see replies

I am currently trailing around open days and looking to start applying in September this year

What are you currently studying: Im currently doing Access to HE with the education pathway through Learndirect

What subject(s) are you applying for: I am applying for Primary Education and Education Studies

Which universities are you applying to: Bradford collage, Leeds Trinity, Leeds Beckett and Leeds University ( can you tell where im from :biggrin:)
Moving my post from the 2017 one to this!

What are you currently studying: Starting an Access to Science course in September!
Was meant to be studying A-levels but my college sixth form has closed, and I don't fancy the idea of completely self studying them. :frown: Does mean that I'm applying to uni this year and not next though, which is terrifying.

What subject(s) are you applying for: Neuroscience

Which universities are you applying to: Bristol, KCL, Sussex and Cardiff. Also applying to Experimental Psychology at Oxford, as their course is actually pretty biological too, and secretly I love straight psych too :lol:

Any other info you feel like sharing: I AM REALLY EXCITED and terrified BUT MOSTLY EXCITED :woo:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Starting Access to HE Science in September (along with an English GCSE) after a very unconventional education experience (got ill in year 10 in school, then went from homeschooling for a year to a 4 year break from education and right now i just finished a part time course in Human Health and Physiology GCSE)

Zoology though I can change to any Biology related subject in the first year so who knows! :tongue:

Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield, Swansea and Lincoln most likely but it could change

Does anyone know what the process for applying to uni with an access course is like? Do you start ucas immediately or nearer the deadline? I'm worried about missing out on offer holder open days :s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lil-Elf
Does anyone know what the process for applying to uni with an access course is like? Do you start ucas immediately or nearer the deadline? I'm worried about missing out on offer holder open days :s-smilie:

We started our UCAS applications pretty early into the Access course, but not all of them were processed at the same time. It all depends on when you're being able to get your Personal Statement completed and approved (I ended up writing five different versions until my tutor was happy with it!), and how quick your tutors are to write a reference for you. I had mine completed and sent off mid October, but some people on my Access course didn't send theirs off until a couple of days before the January 15th deadline. There should be a lot of different offer holder and open days throughout the year though so don't stress too much about it. If I were you and in your position all over again, I would start figuring out what exactly I plan to put in my P.S and maybe try to organise some work experience before the Access course started as it's a very intensive course!

Best of luck - aim high and keep yourself motivated. It will all be worth it in the end. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
What are you currently studying: Nothing, completed a L6 Business Qual in March 2017

What subject(s) are you applying for: Applied for Applied Management

Which universities are you applying to: Off to Sunderland for a 1 year top up to full degree, unconditional

Any other info you feel like sharing: Looking forward to the challenge whilst working full time !
Reply 6
Original post by TJay.
Best of luck - aim high and keep yourself motivated. It will all be worth it in the end. :smile:

Thank you so much!! I'll get right on drafting my personal statement so fingers crossed I can get it sent as early as possible.
Original post by Lil-Elf
Thank you so much!! I'll get right on drafting my personal statement so fingers crossed I can get it sent as early as possible.

It's a good idea to work on your personal statement now so that it distracts you less when the deadlines start to pile up. However, there's no advantage to getting your application off early. Your tutors will need time to get to know you so that they can write your reference and predict your grades. Also, an early application just extends the amount of time that you will spend impatiently checking for UCAS updates every hour!
What are you currently studying: Due to start an Access to HE Science course this September
What subject(s) are you applying for: Mining Engineering, possibly Geology and Geotechnics
Which universities are you applying to: Tremough Campus Cornwall
Any other info you feel like sharing: Leaving the comfort of an enjoyable and well paid job, and working with friends and a great boss (who has been super supportive, while still trying to make me stay with various offers!) but have always found mining and the industry surrounding it really interesting and see it as an investment into what I want to do long term, so looking forward to applying myself and getting started, despite being a bit worried about it all and questioning if making the right choice ALL THE TIME!
Reply 9
What are you currently studying: starting access to HE science in Septemeber at salford city college,
What subject(s) are you applying for: Diagnostic Radiography
Which universities are you applying to: Salford, Liverpool and Bradford
Any other info you feel like sharing: after leaving school 12 years ago and going straight into work I've finally realised what i want to be when i'm older.

maths, chemistry phys

Electrical and Electronic Engineering/Mechatronics Engineering

Manchester, Bath, John moores

Waiting on AS Maths which id like an A in. A B is acceptable but makes things harder to get an A overall (I need AAB but maths is my strongest subject).

I honestly feel really excited about the degree, I can't wait. I sound like a cheeky mf but I really want this.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Also, an early application just extends the amount of time that you will spend impatiently checking for UCAS updates every hour!

This happened to me! After submitting the application in late November, I checked it several times a day including over weekend. I rationally understood that the application deadline isn't for another month and nothing is going to happen to it. Luckily I got an offer less than a week after submitting the application - way before application deadline, so I guess there was a benefit to applying early.
What are you currently studying: mathematic!
Hi everyone. I'm a 29 y/o mature student and a hopeful Optometry student next year.

What are you currently studying: Foundation Degree in Applied Medical Sciences

What subject(s) are you applying for: Optometry

Which universities are you applying to: Ulster, Glasgow, Plymouth, Portsmouth

Any other info you feel like sharing: Keep ploughing through and chipping away at all the hard work ! Hard work always pays off ! Anyone welcome to message me for a natter with regards to uni :-)

What are you currently studying: Access to Social Sciences

What subject(s) are you applying for: Social Work

Which universities are you applying to: Plymouth, Southampton Solent and UWE I think....

Any other info you feel like sharing: 23yo feel like it's the right time for me to carve out a career!

Hi everyone,

What are you currently studying: Start an Access to Social Sciences end of August
What subject(s) are you applying for: Still haven't ultimately decided, but interested in History/Archaeology/Celtic Studies/Philosophy/Latin American Studies focusing on History
Which universities are you applying to: Stirling & Glasgow
Any other info you feel like sharing: Dead nervous about writing my personal statement.
Original post by rosemadder
Hi everyone,

What are you currently studying: Start an Access to Social Sciences end of August
What subject(s) are you applying for: Still haven't ultimately decided, but interested in History/Archaeology/Celtic Studies/Philosophy/Latin American Studies focusing on History
Which universities are you applying to: Stirling & Glasgow
Any other info you feel like sharing: Dead nervous about writing my personal statement.

Interesting choices, how will you decide which to take? If you decide on Latin American Studies with a focus on History then you might like UCL's new 'History and Politics of the Americas' degree.
It will depend on whether I want to commute or not, Stirling uni offers history, Latin American studies and philosophy and is 10 minutes away from me. Glasgow offers archaeology, Celtic Studies and history but is 45 minutes drive no traffic. UCL course looks good but a little too far away :-) I have a family so won't be moving or living on campus :-)
Just completed my undergraduate degree with the Open University.
BA(Hons) Humanities with Religious Studies and Philosophy

MA Ancient Religions

University of Wales Trinity Saint David

I've never been to uni before and I'm super scared...and very excited.
Original post by Lord_Azael
Just completed my undergraduate degree with the Open University.
BA(Hons) Humanities with Religious Studies and Philosophy

MA Ancient Religions

University of Wales Trinity Saint David

I've never been to uni before and I'm super scared...and very excited.

Congrats on completing your degree. Ancient religions looks really interesting, good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest