The Student Room Group

Vegans view on abortion

Are vegans against abortion? Or do they believe killing a human life isnt the same thing as a chicken or cow etc and therefore are hypocrites who shouldnt be taken any notice of?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand how veganism correlates to abortion.

It doesn't.
Reply 2
Original post by Babyoleg
I don't understand how veganism correlates to abortion.

It doesn't.

Vegans dont like killing animals and ending life needlessly

Abortion is killing a life needlessly.

Its not that hard to understand :facepalm:
Reply 3
Original post by MeYou2Night

I agree on your view of abortion, but technically plants too are a life like animals, so ending their lives are just as needless and cruel.

Animals are sentient, fetuses are not
Reply 5
Original post by TheDuo
I agree on your view of abortion, but technically plants too are a life like animals, so ending their lives are just as needless and cruel.

Yeah, it is.

I'm not a hypocrite about it though. I dont have the typical vegan self-righteous attitude of "Do as I say, not do as I do"
Original post by TheDuo
Vegans are just a joke and pro-abortionists are just cold, unloving and selfish

Pro-choice*
Reply 7
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Pro-choice*

whatever, the fact remains the same.
Original post by TheDuo
whatever, the fact remains the same.

Lets agree to disagree (Not on the vegan part though, I'd agree that they are indeed a joke).
Reply 9
Every person has their own view.

I am vegan and I am pro choice. Often when a discussion on abortion is taken place I ask the girls what would you do if you discover on early stages of your pregnancy that your future child will have so many abnormalities that her/his life would be a suffer. Do you think that suffering the entire life and causing others to suffer is a good thing?
*I am not talking about physical abnormalities you can learn to live with. I am talking more about people who will need machinery and constant care.
I'm in an interesting position here to comment.... I am a vegan, christian, and I am training as a midwife in september (where I will be dealing with abortions to some degree and having placements in the clinics).
Personally, I could never get an abortion myself as I believe that the baby is alive. However, as a vegan I understand why this question is posted because we all believe so strongly that every living thing should have rights. Howeve,r many people don't exactly consider a foetus as 'living' as legally they have no rights over the mother.
I think it's important to remember though, that we don't know individual situations of women who do have the abortions. I know a few people who have had them, and I know that if they felt like they had another option, they wouldn't have gotten the abortion. That's not to say that some women use it as a method of contraception and abuse the system because a few people do.
However, I strongly believe it is not our right to judge what any women chooses to do as we don't know and where does passing judgement get us? Removing the ability to have an abortion would just cause back street abortions and it's always the best option to not judge!
It's not going to be my right o judge in any situation! When i begin my training, I will be there to support the women no matter what and I believe that is what is most important!
Some of you may be thinking that it contradicts with my christian and vegan beliefs but who has the right to judge? it just makes us judgemental! We should all be loving and judging a woman who gets an abortion could cause more emotional distress than they are already in! Remember we want to be kind to all living things including animals and people :smile:
My ethos= love and respect for everyone!
Original post by TonyStark98

Eggs are not sentient. Why don't vegans eat eggs?

BTW fetuses can still feel things...
Original post by TonyStark98

Are you really sure? http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-and-respond

The fact that we cannot see them struggling does not automatically means that they are insensate.

No because that's automatically assuming that just because something has been conceived then it's life when 1/3 pregnancies actually end in miscarriage anyway. For me a foetus is not living.

Some vegans will be for abortion, whilst others against. There is no correlation here
Original post by Babyoleg
No because that's automatically assuming that just because something has been conceived then it's life when 1/3 pregnancies actually end in miscarriage anyway. For me a foetus is not living.

Some vegans will be for abortion, whilst others against. There is no correlation here

Vegans dont eat eggs - there is no difference.
Original post by ClearSky
Eggs are not sentient. Why don't vegans eat eggs?

Because it supports industries that do harm to sentient things.

Spoiler

Original post by Retired_Messiah
Because it supports industries that do harm to sentient things.

Spoiler

A vegan still wouldnt eat an egg from my mates chickens who roam free range in the massive piece of land they own though either even though his chicken experience no harm whatsoever.

Its a sad fact that vegans perpetuate they care about all life but dont mind killing baby humans.
I would never be able to have a child aborted... but not because I'm vegan - just because I wouldn't be able to make myself do it. I think it really depends upon the situation though... and no vegans aren't a joke,No need to be rude just because someone doesn't have the same opinions as you
Reply 18
Why do people care what vegans do? I know vegans who are total *******s, but that's because those people are *******s -- not vegans (as a group)!

And plants do not have a nervous system and are not capable of feeling emotions like suffering and happiness. I would even go so far as to extend that to insects (bees with their honey etc). That's why it's not the same as killing plants as animals. There is also the fact that we need plants to survive and not animals.

Fetuses are bundles of cells. They are not conscious (until a certain stage of pregnancy) and aren't independent forms of life yet. A sperm cell and an egg cell is as much of a potential life as a zygote, and I'm pretty sure nobody believes that using condoms is murdering future babies.
A vegan still wouldnt eat an egg from my mates chickens who roam free range in the massive piece of land they own though either even though his chicken experience no harm whatsoever.

That's something that's confused me about some vegans, might be a concern that if they like it they might be too tempted to buy eggs? Alternatively, if you were raised vegan as a kid like a few are you probably won't even like eggs 'cause your palette's gonna be ****ed. Otherwise idfk

Its a sad fact that vegans perpetuate they care about all life but dont mind killing baby humans.

I mean you've still not argued against the main point that that statement depends on where you think life begins. Alternatively you can claim killing that baby can be necessary whereas eating animals and animal products isn't as you can technically live without and eat something else.

There's no real hypocrisy going on in the case of a pro-choice vegan 'cause the two issues have some very different arguments surrounding them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending