I don't want to go to uni, help! Watch

aieshacaitlin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I will be the first in my family NOT to go to uni. That is, extended family, each of my 5 elder cousins went, each of my 5 aunts and 5 uncles and both parents. My grandparents really want me to go.
But I don't. I have a plan and 5 back up plans of apprenticeships.
How can you explain to your family that uni isn't for you?
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aieshacaitlin)
I will be the first in my family NOT to go to uni. That is, extended family, each of my 5 elder cousins went, each of my 5 aunts and 5 uncles and both parents. My grandparents really want me to go.
1. Maybe bring up the point that it isn't guranteed that you would have a job at the end of the degree and many people "nowadays" leave university unemployed as the job market is competitive.

2. If you show them a well structured plan of the alternative route that you're going, I believe they will most likely understand why you don't want to go to University as it implies to them that you've planned ahead and know exactly what you're doing.

These are the two things I did with my parents when I told them I was off to do an Apprenticeship instead of going to uni this September and it only worked with my Mum and a few of my aunts but at least it worked with some.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aieshacaitlin)
Explain to them that it isnl always needed and that Uni is a different proposition than it was in their day.

Explain that in three years you could easily have £50,000 worth of debt and you think its wise that you only spend that if you know its exactly what you want. In their day it was free or substantially cheaper.

Explain a good apprenticeship can get you food work experience and the possibility to make a career. You can even do degree apprenticeships.

If you want to go to uni later, then you can, but you only really get one set of funding so best to spend it wisely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.3%
No (271)
75.7%

Watched Threads