mnc61
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
So I'm thinking of getting into IT however I need to take certain exams to get started such as comptia a+ and CCNA and maybe Microsoft servers however these exams are very expensive. Therefore I want to get into an apprenticeship. However my situation is very bad.

I took alevels in September 2015, retook them in September 2016 but now I want to get into an IT apprenticeship which covers those exams, however, I am already 18 now and have no experience or qualifications required for an apprenticeship (no btec lvl3 IT). Also to apply it has to be way before September but the year has finished and would I still be able to find a place if I apply now for September 2017. Also which apprenticeship level covers Comptia A+ and CCNA and are there entry requirements for it. Also is it too late since I am 18 and the apprenticeships start in September

Thanks
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
IT (administration, networking, support etc) or Development?
mnc61
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Hanvyj)
IT (administration, networking, support etc) or Development?
I don't know what field of IT I want to get into yet, whether its network engineering or software engineering but I was told that Comptia A+ and CCNA is basically the starting point into any IT route. So can you answer my question?
littleswany
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mnc61)
Hi,
So I'm thinking of getting into IT however I need to take certain exams to get started such as comptia a+ and CCNA and maybe Microsoft servers however these exams are very expensive. Therefore I want to get into an apprenticeship. However my situation is very bad.

I took alevels in September 2015, retook them in September 2016 but now I want to get into an IT apprenticeship which covers those exams, however, I am already 18 now and have no experience or qualifications required for an apprenticeship (no btec lvl3 IT). Also to apply it has to be way before September but the year has finished and would I still be able to find a place if I apply now for September 2017. Also which apprenticeship level covers Comptia A+ and CCNA and are there entry requirements for it. Also is it too late since I am 18 and the apprenticeships start in September

Thanks
Hey,

IT is quite a big field so it might help if you could narrow it down, if you enjoy problem solving and stuff maybe a software engineer or other kind of coding role could work for you, or there are other roles like network management.

I have not seen any apprenticeships that offer work towards those qualifications but there are some degree apprenticeships out there that give you a degree. Also when doing an apprenticeship the company will often fire you after completion giving you crucial work experience.

What grades did you get in A Levels, most of the apprenticeships I have seen required 3Cs or £Bs I seem to recall.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions
Hanvyj
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mnc61)
I don't know what field of IT I want to get into yet, whether its network engineering or software engineering but I was told that Comptia A+ and CCNA is basically the starting point into any IT route. So can you answer my question?
I don't know about IT, but Software Development is a bit of a mish-mash. About 70% of software engineers have degrees and only about 60% of those are Computer Science/Programming degrees.

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017

A lot of software developers are self taught (I am).

I don't think apprenticeships are a big thing, but they are definitely out there. I think you've got a better chance teaching yourself to program. Web development is a good field to get into, because you can create a portfolio and display it online, and there's a very active Open Source culture you an contribute to and show employers your skills.

If you find programming fun, teach yourself. It takes a lot of discipline and drive though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (8)
4.62%
Confident (17)
9.83%
Indifferent (16)
9.25%
Unsure (40)
23.12%
Worried (92)
53.18%

Watched Threads