Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone thought of doing a second UG degree after they finish uni. I'm thinking about it. Is it a popular move or do most people go on to Masters etc?

ReputationRep:
    If you are totally loaded and have lots of time to waste then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    Has anyone thought of doing a second UG degree after they finish uni. I'm thinking about it. Is it a popular move or do most people go on to Masters etc?

I've got a BSc and a D.Phil and am about to do a second UG degree. I can't go into the area I want to base my career in without it though.

What are you thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I've got a BSc and a D.Phil and am about to do a second UG degree. I can't go into the area I want to base my career in without it though.

What are you thinking of doing?
    Medicine is a bit of a special case though - there's funding available for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Medicine is a bit of a special case though - there's funding available for it.
    Not a lot of it - and also only for the GEP in years 2, 3 and 4. For the 'full' courses you get a bursary in year 5 (and 6 if you have one).

I'm on a 5 year course - no funding. 25% of my year are graduates. They get no funding.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a 5 year course - no funding. 25% of my year are graduates. They get no funding.
    I thought you were on GEP?

WTF is the point in making wait so long to become a (medical) doctor ?

Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I thought you were on GEP?

WTF is the point in making wait so long to become a (medical) doctor ?

Idiots.

No - I applied to 2 GEPs (Barts and GKT) and 2 5 year (Barts and St Georges).

I got 'randomised' by Barts GEP, after passing the PQA exam, and I passed the GKT GEP exam (MSAT) well enough to have gotten an interview based on the advertised 40 places. However they decided they could only take 23 (as one of their campuses fell through), and based on that no interview I did get an offer of an interview for their 5 year course though, which I turned down as Barts 5 year course was my first choice, followed by Barts GEP.

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean that you are going to get long vacs again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Does this mean that you are going to get long vacs again?

2 weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, so no

Get a bit more of a summer though. Barts have longer terms in years 1-3 so that you get holidays in your clinical years, which is good. Most schools don't give you holidays in years 4 and 5.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, so no

Get a bit more of a summer though. Barts have longer terms in years 1-3 so that you get holidays in your clinical years, which is good. Most schools don't give you holidays in years 4 and 5.
    That's OK. I thought you were just going to doss around like ordinary undegrads again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    That's OK. I thought you were just going to doss around like ordinary undegrads again!
    I wish

ReputationRep:
    Like Fluffy im wanting to do a degree in a health related course nursing, occupational threapy something along those lines, not medicine though im not that clever (hope it goes well fluffy)... so I will need another degree and will hopefully get some help towards the cost financially.

I was just wondering if it was popular for people to do. Im currently studying sociology so im hoping that with a good degree in it (2.1 or 1st) I should be ok as some courses offer accelerated options as it is classed as a science.

ReputationRep:
    its do-able although they will probably expect you to have a pretty good reason for doing so.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.