Gabriela.K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm thinking about doing the IB and I am quite sure I want to study medicine, but still, I would like to keep my options more open just in case I change my mind. Bear in mind that I have always loved science (bio, chem and physics) and history, politics, literature etc.

My subject choices would be:

HL Bio
HL Chem
HL History/ Psychology

Sl Math
Sl History/ Psychology
Sl language (probably French)

Should I go with History HL or Psych HL? I know history has nothing to do with medicine but I like the subject and would like to have, as I said before, more options open. On the other hand, I heard psych is very interesting and it is related to medicine.
I´m considering taking on HL the least time consuming subject out of those two so I can concentrate more on getting a 7 on Chem and Bio.

The main question is, which is more time consuming?
smallhedge
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe someone else can help you out with psychology, but I can at least speak to History HL. At SL, you learn about four topics- 2 for paper 1 and 2 for paper. In HL, you will take an extra 3. I would say on average, the HL topics have much more information than SL. To put this into perspective, I had my IB exams this past May and most of my studying was concentrated on Biology and History (I took HL Bio, History, and English and SL Physics, French, and Math). History HL is a lot of information and studying. However, you would need a second opinion on the amount of info on psychology.
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by quinnthequail)
Maybe someone else can help you out with psychology, but I can at least speak to History HL. At SL, you learn about four topics- 2 for paper 1 and 2 for paper. In HL, you will take an extra 3. I would say on average, the HL topics have much more information than SL. To put this into perspective, I had my IB exams this past May and most of my studying was concentrated on Biology and History (I took HL Bio, History, and English and SL Physics, French, and Math). History HL is a lot of information and studying. However, you would need a second opinion on the amount of info on psychology.
Thanks for the reply! Btw, what was more challenging for you? HL Bio or History?
smallhedge
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hmm History HL was really hard in terms of having to memorize so much but I was so interested in the topics, I didn't hate it. On the other hand, Biology HL was a ton of memorization - I would say a big chunk more than history- and I wasn't always interested in the topics (I hated genetics...) so I would say biology was more challenging in that respect. I think if you really love your subject, it won't be super challenging- I mean it will be hard (like in history), but not painful to memorize stuff.
Zippy.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gabriela.K)
So I'm thinking about doing the IB and I am quite sure I want to study medicine, but still, I would like to keep my options more open just in case I change my mind. Bear in mind that I have always loved science (bio, chem and physics) and history, politics, literature etc.

My subject choices would be:

HL Bio
HL Chem
HL History/ Psychology

Sl Math
Sl History/ Psychology
Sl language (probably French)

Should I go with History HL or Psych HL? I know history has nothing to do with medicine but I like the subject and would like to have, as I said before, more options open. On the other hand, I heard psych is very interesting and it is related to medicine.
I´m considering taking on HL the least time consuming subject out of those two so I can concentrate more on getting a 7 on Chem and Bio.

The main question is, which is more time consuming?
Sorry! Maybe I should have read the full title. I read Help! And thought it was a Beatles related thread...
ConfusedTurtle3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want to do medicine, Psychology HL definitely!!! It can be quite a good asset for medicine and History HL is just way too much (paper 3 is 3 essays, you need to know all the nitty gritty details and even an SL student learns like 12 topics, so imagine the work for HL). I did History SL and had to use 11 textbooks.... it's a very extensive, demanding course.
jjaye99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did SL history and HL psych this year. I found SL history the absolute worst as there is so much content and hardly any lesson time to cover everything. I found it really hard to revise... however, if you enjoy history then I'd say do it at higher definitely! The content is pretty similar to that of standard (other than the extra paper 3), and you get SO much more time to go over it. I loved HL psych but it's not really that different to SL. For me, history was definitely the most time consuming and I spent so much time on even as a standard! Good luck, hope I could help
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by ConfusedTurtle3)
If you want to do medicine, Psychology HL definitely!!! It can be quite a good asset for medicine and History HL is just way too much (paper 3 is 3 essays, you need to know all the nitty gritty details and even an SL student learns like 12 topics, so imagine the work for HL). I did History SL and had to use 11 textbooks.... it's a very extensive, demanding course.
Thanks for the reply! And wow, 11 textbooks is a lot :eek:
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjaye99)
I did SL history and HL psych this year. I found SL history the absolute worst as there is so much content and hardly any lesson time to cover everything. I found it really hard to revise... however, if you enjoy history then I'd say do it at higher definitely! The content is pretty similar to that of standard (other than the extra paper 3), and you get SO much more time to go over it. I loved HL psych but it's not really that different to SL. For me, history was definitely the most time consuming and I spent so much time on even as a standard! Good luck, hope I could help
Thanks for the reply
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just chiming in to say, I'm quite certain the History students in my IB had more work than us Psychology ones did

Also your subject choices are incorrect as you're missing your Group 1 (literature/language) subject (unless they've changed this? xD ) which would presumably be English Literature (possibly, and Language).
myh18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I took both History and Psychology at SL, but I still think I'll be able to provide you with some insight here. For reference, I received a 6 in both subjects.

History HL has pretty similar course content to History SL. You learn the same things, and you could draw from the same information in a HL or SL paper. That being said, History paper 3 is difficult - it's 3 essays in 2.5 hours, and it's more to study for when it comes to the finals. ALSO: unlike one of the commenters above, my SL course only required me to use 3 textbooks (you only need to learn 1 prescribed subject and 2 topics but we did 3 topics). I used a lot more resources for my IA (a historical investigation), but that doesn't really count as course textbooks.

I'm not as familiar with Psychology HL, but from what I've seen, there seems to be a little more course content, particularly on qualitative and quantitative research methods. The HL Psychology students also learn 2 options, rather than 1 like the SL students. The HL IA, for example, appears to be much more demanding than the SL IA. However, the HL Paper 3 isn't substantially harder - again, just more to know on research methods. If you're into sciences, Psychology actually may be the way to go because there's biology components in psychology (like neurotransmitter functions, hormone functions and genetics) and because you learn more about scientific methods.

So what's more time-consuming? Probably History. But studying for history felt more fulfilling to me than psychology. To me, history 'clicked' more easily since I found it easier to remember the narrative of certain events, the rise of certain leaders and the aftermaths/significances of the events. The information just weaves together more nicely. Being able to critically think in History was also easier (but really, you should be doing that in every subject, according to IB). Psychology ended up being a bit more tedious for me because all I really did was memorize a bunch of theories, studies and outlines for the topics. But learning those psychological theories and studies are super cool!

That being said, there's no way that you'll be able to take History and Psychology if you want to take both Biology and Chemistry. You need two language subjects to complete the IB Diploma (Groups 1 and 2). Hopefully this helps you a little in deciding between the two courses.
tchaikovskyed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! I did both History & Psychology at HL and received a 7 for both so I'm just gonna chuck my two cents in here as well.

Both subjects are equally hard. History HL has a massive amount of content to cover and requires a lot of wider reading because they want a lot of historian viewpoints and evidence that you can absorb a large amount of knowledge and then apply it to the question. Psychology HL, on the other hand, requires a deep understanding of the core concepts and application, and has less to cover.

However, one thing you might like to know is that the Psychology HL course is going through a complete rehaul next year, and unlike our year, where we basically just had to memorise studies and apply them to the question as needed, I was told by my psychology teacher that next year's course will be more than just memorisation, but a lot more understanding and brain-work will be needed, so to speak. The advantage of doing History HL in this situation would be that you won't be the first year to take the course (like we were, ugh), and your teacher may be able to provide more support as grade boundaries and commentaries will be out.

BUT, you've mentioned that you are pretty set on doing Medicine at uni, so I would recommend the Psychology course for sure. It would be a useful addition to your other two science subjects and gives you a more social insight into biological and cognitive processes. History would be a slightly irrelevant subject, and added on to Bio HL, one of the courses notorious for having the most content ever, it would be an almost life-threatening combination.

To give you an idea of the History course, here are the amount of textbooks we used for each paper. Paper 1: 2 textbooks ; Paper 2: 2 textbooks ; Paper 3: 3 Textbooks. And that's not counting the amount of reading outside the subject you'll need to cover in order to get a 7. Psychology has a much lighter load, and honestly, is less of a head ache.

Hope this helped.
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by tchaikovskyed)
Hey! I did both History & Psychology at HL and received a 7 for both so I'm just gonna chuck my two cents in here as well.

Both subjects are equally hard. History HL has a massive amount of content to cover and requires a lot of wider reading because they want a lot of historian viewpoints and evidence that you can absorb a large amount of knowledge and then apply it to the question. Psychology HL, on the other hand, requires a deep understanding of the core concepts and application, and has less to cover.

However, one thing you might like to know is that the Psychology HL course is going through a complete rehaul next year, and unlike our year, where we basically just had to memorise studies and apply them to the question as needed, I was told by my psychology teacher that next year's course will be more than just memorisation, but a lot more understanding and brain-work will be needed, so to speak. The advantage of doing History HL in this situation would be that you won't be the first year to take the course (like we were, ugh), and your teacher may be able to provide more support as grade boundaries and commentaries will be out.

BUT, you've mentioned that you are pretty set on doing Medicine at uni, so I would recommend the Psychology course for sure. It would be a useful addition to your other two science subjects and gives you a more social insight into biological and cognitive processes. History would be a slightly irrelevant subject, and added on to Bio HL, one of the courses notorious for having the most content ever, it would be an almost life-threatening combination.

To give you an idea of the History course, here are the amount of textbooks we used for each paper. Paper 1: 2 textbooks ; Paper 2: 2 textbooks ; Paper 3: 3 Textbooks. And that's not counting the amount of reading outside the subject you'll need to cover in order to get a 7. Psychology has a much lighter load, and honestly, is less of a head ache.

Hope this helped.
Thank you! This helped a lot
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by myh18)
Hi! I took both History and Psychology at SL, but I still think I'll be able to provide you with some insight here. For reference, I received a 6 in both subjects.

History HL has pretty similar course content to History SL. You learn the same things, and you could draw from the same information in a HL or SL paper. That being said, History paper 3 is difficult - it's 3 essays in 2.5 hours, and it's more to study for when it comes to the finals. ALSO: unlike one of the commenters above, my SL course only required me to use 3 textbooks (you only need to learn 1 prescribed subject and 2 topics but we did 3 topics). I used a lot more resources for my IA (a historical investigation), but that doesn't really count as course textbooks.

I'm not as familiar with Psychology HL, but from what I've seen, there seems to be a little more course content, particularly on qualitative and quantitative research methods. The HL Psychology students also learn 2 options, rather than 1 like the SL students. The HL IA, for example, appears to be much more demanding than the SL IA. However, the HL Paper 3 isn't substantially harder - again, just more to know on research methods. If you're into sciences, Psychology actually may be the way to go because there's biology components in psychology (like neurotransmitter functions, hormone functions and genetics) and because you learn more about scientific methods.

So what's more time-consuming? Probably History. But studying for history felt more fulfilling to me than psychology. To me, history 'clicked' more easily since I found it easier to remember the narrative of certain events, the rise of certain leaders and the aftermaths/significances of the events. The information just weaves together more nicely. Being able to critically think in History was also easier (but really, you should be doing that in every subject, according to IB). Psychology ended up being a bit more tedious for me because all I really did was memorize a bunch of theories, studies and outlines for the topics. But learning those psychological theories and studies are super cool!

That being said, there's no way that you'll be able to take History and Psychology if you want to take both Biology and Chemistry. You need two language subjects to complete the IB Diploma (Groups 1 and 2). Hopefully this helps you a little in deciding between the two courses.
Thanks for your response, it was very useful And regarding the last paragraph you wrote, ("you need two language subjects") yes you are right, I just got mixed up a little.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads