Pegeek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically, my life is a mess. I don't have a social life. In all honesty, I don't have any friends at all and this is the reason I don't leave the house during the day. I have a job but I only work evenings but I don't have any friends at work and it makes me anxious when people bully me about some things (I can handle banter but it is beyond banter). I've started seeing someone but he lives far away and he is always busy, he has an amazing social life, this makes me feel insecure because I really don't. I start uni in September and I'm scared I won't make any friends the people in my flat take drugs and I'm the complete opposite. I'm scared I'm not gonna fit in with them. I'm only going to uni because I don't know what else to do with my life and it's an opportunity to make friends because if I don't I'm just gonna be stuck alone living with my family which I hate. I just feel stuck and I genuinely hate my life and I don't know what to do anymore.
2-99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in the same position, but I'm hoping that the change of environment will make me change. There will probs be lots of people like you who'll understand you. Don't worry!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
University is very different to anything you'd have come to experience at school. The workplace can be pretty hit and miss when it comes to whther you will get on with your colleagues or not. More than anything there is a very large variety of people at university so it could be a good idea to join a society of something you like to meet people with similar interests. It doesn't sound like you have a tonne of self-esteem so try and find a way to improve that as you may find that you get better at making friends too. More than anything, it can make you more approachable (which can sound a bit backwards, I know).

There's no guarantee about who you could meet at uni and what your flatmates will be like. Hopefully you'll enjoy the course you're going on.

I used to feel similar to you. But after some therapy (which really helped my self-esteem) and a change in my environment, I no longer have those same worries about making friends or not there, or what my flatmates will be like. It'll get better, but it will help if you see the positives in you and believe that too. Take some chances, even if it's baby steps, and you should find your footing and put those worries to rest

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads