The Student Room Group

University advice, pls help

I have offers to study Computer Science at Imperial College London and UCL each with requirements of A*AA with Imperial specifying the A* in Maths. Imperial also required a 2 in STEP 2.

I am panicking because I feel like I have not met the requirements for either of my universities and don't really want to do a gap year because I don't want to be left behind, plus there are a tremendous number of things I have to organise in order to have a successful gap year. Furthermore, I have heard that Imperial and UCL look down on people who have to do re-takes to get into uni?

In the case that I am not able to get into my two universities, if I am able to switch my course to Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, should I?

I am looking to persue a job in Management Consultancy or Investment Banking.
Reply 1
Original post by ArafatQ
I have offers to study Computer Science at Imperial College London and UCL each with requirements of A*AA with Imperial specifying the A* in Maths. Imperial also required a 2 in STEP 2.

I am panicking because I feel like I have not met the requirements for either of my universities and don't really want to do a gap year because I don't want to be left behind, plus there are a tremendous number of things I have to organise in order to have a successful gap year. Furthermore, I have heard that Imperial and UCL look down on people who have to do re-takes to get into uni?

In the case that I am not able to get into my two universities, if I am able to switch my course to Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, should I?

First things first, this is all speculation ATM, you might have a nice surprise come results day. I think that taking a gap year is no bad thing. I personally did one - and it didn't take a huge amount of organising. I did a bit of work experience, a paid job, and then travel. I would recommend it to anyone, if nothing else, going to uni with a bit of spare cash can be really helpful while settling in. I have no idea if they look down on retakes. Maybe someone else has more experience with that.

But I guess that's besides the point. Only you can choose the course. I assume you aren't 'married' to Compsci if you are considering going into investment banking, etc. In which case, doing engineering or compsci makes no difference. Both are Stem and both will get you to where you want to be (although I don't know a huge amount about management consultancy ).

That said, your primary concern seems to be whether or not you have gotten the grades you need. Top universities for engineering (on a par with Imperial/UCL) are undoubtedly going to have the high grade requirements. A*AA is common - certainly in the top 10. I think you would be lucky to switch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ArafatQ

Switch at Imperial? Given the requirement is higher (A*A*A) I doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Switch at Imperial? Given the requirement is higher (A*A*A) I doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally think STEP is far more prestigious a qualification than A Levels. Regardless, I haven't spoken to them about this yet.
Reply 4
Original post by Surf
First things first, this is all speculation ATM, you might have a nice surprise come results day. I think that taking a gap year is no bad thing. I personally did one - and it didn't take a huge amount of organising. I did a bit of work experience, a paid job, and then travel. I would recommend it to anyone, if nothing else, going to uni with a bit of spare cash can be really helpful while settling in. I have no idea if they look down on retakes. Maybe someone else has more experience with that.

But I guess that's besides the point. Only you can choose the course. I assume you aren't 'married' to Compsci if you are considering going into investment banking, etc. In which case, doing engineering or compsci makes no difference. Both are Stem and both will get you to where you want to be (although I don't know a huge amount about management consultancy ).

That said, your primary concern seems to be whether or not you have gotten the grades you need. Top universities for engineering (on a par with Imperial/UCL) are undoubtedly going to have the high grade requirements. A*AA is common - certainly in the top 10. I think you would be lucky to switch.

This is fantastic! How did you organise your job placement?
Reply 5
Original post by ArafatQ
I personally think STEP is far more prestigious a qualification than A Levels. Regardless, I haven't spoken to them about this yet.

Except, it's not a qualification, and it's not generally that relevant for engineering. Even at Cambridge only 1 or 2 colleges routinely include it in their Engineering offers.

But the point is if you aren't achieving the typical requirements for the course you want to switch to it's extremely unlikely they will entertain the idea.

It's very likely though you will find other London universities with CompSci in clearing; QMUL (ABB) perhaps.
There are a few other unis which are targets for IB and require AAA e.g. Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham
Original post by Helloworld_95
There are a few other unis which are targets for IB and require AAA e.g. Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham

Warwick is only one of the 6 targets if the student does Maths/Economics/MORSE. Other subjects would make it a semi-target. Manchester and Nottingham are semi-targets, too.
Original post by asmuse123
Warwick is only one of the 6 targets if the student does Maths/Economics/MORSE. Other subjects would make it a semi-target. Manchester and Nottingham are semi-targets, too.

I'd bear in mind that the lines between targets, semi-targets, and non-targets have been blurring in recent years. I've seen quite a few classes which have had just as many people from Cambridge and LSE as they've had from e.g. Brunel

Quick Reply

Latest