The Student Room Group

What can I do with a Masters degree in pharmacy ...obtained 4 years ago

I want to remain anonymous as there are quite a few drug dealers (pharmacists) on TSR and I know some BS about their employment situation IRL so i dont want to compromise my ID as a lot of people i know IRL use TSR.

So i am a registered pharmacist and have been for a while, I got a 2:1 masters froma respectable uni in the UK yet despite that I have had no work come my way despite networking, being registered with multiple employment AND locum agencies, as well as giving my business card and physically turning up to pharmacies in my area in suit and tie to let them know who I am and my availabilyt.

In the last 4 years, excluding my pre-reg, I have only worked for less than 3 months. I cant claim any financial support be it benefits or credits as I have savings and what I get in 1 day of work is more than 2-3 weeks of benefits.

I wouldnt mind moving to another location to find work but the only problem is that I live witha disabled person so have to be relatively close (<30 miles) in case god forbid Iam needed at home. To a lot of people anything more than 2-3 miles seems like a lot but reality is that within 40 miles of me, I cant get anything due to the rampant nepotism prevalent in independent pharmacies and large chains a) only want their own people; b) only want to get you on a relief / zero hour basis and c) have very dodgy agendas and too much politics.

In terms of permanent work / fulltime work, I keep being told I need additional qualifications, yet the universities which ofer said qualifications say I need to be in regular empolyment to do it, which cannot happen as I havent got the qualification. For those which do not have as stringent requirements, I would have to move at least 133 miles from home and for reasons I specified, this would not be an option.

Im in my mid 20s and want to go to medical school but am slightly annoyed as my A levels were naff and sadly a lot of 2018 GEM schools want good A levels, which I do not have so I have to consider whether I should redo them (fyi I struggled getting CCC in A levels, argued with my uni why I should be doing the main course instead of foundation (I argued due to extenuating circumstances, which can no longer be backed up, I was affected) and somehow averaged in the mid 80% region during 1st year at uni (2nd year 70s; 3rd year back to 80s, 4th was lowest and got low 60s, although this was due to freak circumstances re the final year otherwise that would ahve been a first as well).

Additionally I want to develop a few things (health / tech) which I do not want to discuss without a non-disclosure agreement but have been advised to approach NHS accelerators, advanced health science networks and accelerators such as seedcamp and techstars to develop, however I do not have much in the way of savings or income (Since January, I have only had 10 days of work, cant rely on familia and friends for financial support (dont want to ask you guys for crowdfunding tbh until I have a prototype which people can use in betas).

I read somewhere about pharmacists being employed in health journalism and medical writing (both of which would be useful to fund me for the foreseeable future) the financial sector, as well as working for big 4 companies consulting / auditing companies but have no idea how to apply for any of these.

So yh, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I want to remain anonymous as there are quite a few drug dealers (pharmacists) on TSR and I know some BS about their employment situation IRL so i dont want to compromise my ID as a lot of people i know IRL use TSR.

So i am a registered pharmacist and have been for a while, I got a 2:1 masters froma respectable uni in the UK yet despite that I have had no work come my way despite networking, being registered with multiple employment AND locum agencies, as well as giving my business card and physically turning up to pharmacies in my area in suit and tie to let them know who I am and my availabilyt.

In the last 4 years, excluding my pre-reg, I have only worked for less than 3 months. I cant claim any financial support be it benefits or credits as I have savings and what I get in 1 day of work is more than 2-3 weeks of benefits.

I wouldnt mind moving to another location to find work but the only problem is that I live witha disabled person so have to be relatively close (<30 miles) in case god forbid Iam needed at home. To a lot of people anything more than 2-3 miles seems like a lot but reality is that within 40 miles of me, I cant get anything due to the rampant nepotism prevalent in independent pharmacies and large chains a) only want their own people; b) only want to get you on a relief / zero hour basis and c) have very dodgy agendas and too much politics.

In terms of permanent work / fulltime work, I keep being told I need additional qualifications, yet the universities which ofer said qualifications say I need to be in regular empolyment to do it, which cannot happen as I havent got the qualification. For those which do not have as stringent requirements, I would have to move at least 133 miles from home and for reasons I specified, this would not be an option.

Im in my mid 20s and want to go to medical school but am slightly annoyed as my A levels were naff and sadly a lot of 2018 GEM schools want good A levels, which I do not have so I have to consider whether I should redo them (fyi I struggled getting CCC in A levels, argued with my uni why I should be doing the main course instead of foundation (I argued due to extenuating circumstances, which can no longer be backed up, I was affected) and somehow averaged in the mid 80% region during 1st year at uni (2nd year 70s; 3rd year back to 80s, 4th was lowest and got low 60s, although this was due to freak circumstances re the final year otherwise that would ahve been a first as well).

Additionally I want to develop a few things (health / tech) which I do not want to discuss without a non-disclosure agreement but have been advised to approach NHS accelerators, advanced health science networks and accelerators such as seedcamp and techstars to develop, however I do not have much in the way of savings or income (Since January, I have only had 10 days of work, cant rely on familia and friends for financial support (dont want to ask you guys for crowdfunding tbh until I have a prototype which people can use in betas).

I read somewhere about pharmacists being employed in health journalism and medical writing (both of which would be useful to fund me for the foreseeable future) the financial sector, as well as working for big 4 companies consulting / auditing companies but have no idea how to apply for any of these.

So yh, what should I do?

I used to work in finance and I'd either expect somebody like you to come through a graduate training programme (just google to see if your chosen companies run one)or I'd get a CV applying for a job where you're vastly over qualified in a non-related field. In these cases I'd be looking for transferrable skills and reasons why they want this particular role or feel that they're suited for it.

Make a shortlist of companies you can access and then see what kind of programmes/entry requirements they have.
I have just finished my pharmacy degree and not doing pre reg. Im doing a graduate scheme in consulting. there are many options available if you truly have the will.

The graduate schemes application for big 4 should be opening up around August time (2018 entry). Keep looking at their website and and apply as early as you can. I got an offer from 1 an got the the final interview stage with another so your exp doesnt matter. Just make sure you personally do the application and practice verbal/numerical reasoning for the tests in your spare time.
(edited 6 years ago)
You need to ditch the pharmacy and start from the bottom, sounds harsh but that's the way things go sometimes. I'd get applying to retail/admin/warehouse/call centre type jobs ASAP, with some voluntary positions (i.e. charity shops) as back up. Chop chop, the world is your oyster.
Bit of an update regarding my situation - currently still no luck getting a job despite multiple interviews in hospital, general practice and consulting positions (also failed PWC and EY applications). additionally, my workload has massively decreased all the while (to the point where I have had 4 days of work this year so far). I have officially decided I do not want to work in community anymore (not like id be missing much :lol: but have no idea how to progress into consulting or other fields. (would appreciate advice @Friffinghell @sachinisgod )

I do volunteer work but that honestly doesnt offer any career opportunities.

Im curious to know
Bit of an update regarding my situation - currently still no luck getting a job despite multiple interviews in hospital, general practice and consulting positions (also failed PWC and EY applications). additionally, my workload has massively decreased all the while (to the point where I have had 4 days of work this year so far). I have officially decided I do not want to work in community anymore (not like id be missing much :lol: but have no idea how to progress into consulting or other fields. (would appreciate advice @Friffinghell @sachinisgod )

Im curious to know

*im curious to know how I should progress with my career as pharmacy is clearly a field which doesnt want me at all (despite all my best intentions)
Reply 6
dude, did you just highjack my thread?

Im curious to know

*im curious to know how I should progress with my career as pharmacy is clearly a field which doesnt want me at all (despite all my best intentions)
oops, sorry I did. So im curious to know, did you end up in medicine?
Reply 8
no comment :lol:. but your situation does seem a bit grim (and worryingly not too uncommon for MPharm graduates). In anycase, best of luck for the future.
oops, sorry I did. So im curious to know, did you end up in medicine?
Hi Annonymous. What's your situation now. Have you found employment now? I am planning to study pharmacy and I am wondering if I will struggle to get work.Thanks.
Reply 10

Im curious to know

I know it is several months ago, but the fact you have had multiple interviews suggests you are nearly there. Perhaps just get some more tips on improving your interviewing skills and also tips on passing AC's.
hi, so in terms of situation, didnt get a finance job (no idea if id still be eligible for grad schemes as I graduated in 2013), worked for a while as a flexible / relief clinical pharmacist at a foundation trust (foundation trust = teaching hospital).
passed an interview for a top tech consulting job a few months ago which would have included a funded MBA enrolment after a year of work), passed background checks, signed a contract only for them to rescind their offer due to my employers being aholes and not wanting me to leave my then current job as they were very short staffed ( because so many people kept leaving the position due to incompetent mangement are horrific work conditions) and went back on their word about giving me a good reference with an absolutely horrible one (the worst thing is that following this, they asked me to work overtime without extra pay and the saturday shifts I was working, i had no other staff members there as nobody wanted to work on saturdays...despite being an NHS institution which requires staff members and rotas).

was offered a medical affairs role with a top pharma company but due to covid (and being unable to relocate as I was identfied as a vulnerable individual), they resicnded their offer.

Since march, i have been stuck at home shielding (which will continue as my area may or may not have enteed another lockdown) but due to my idiot former employers refusing to let me go, they ended up paying 3 months gardening leave whilst i was jobsearching :lol: as soon as gardening leave finished, I started working for public health england as a covid19 clinician, which pays decently and involves addressing concerns about symptoms with COVID19 patients, following them up and identfiying people they may have been in contact with - its pretty dull but work is work. in the meantime, im continuing looking for jobs and have plans on upskilling but for now, Im doing this temp job from home.
hi, so in terms of situation, didnt get a finance job (no idea if id still be eligible for grad schemes as I graduated in 2013), worked for a while as a flexible / relief clinical pharmacist at a foundation trust (foundation trust = teaching hospital).
passed an interview for a top tech consulting job a few months ago which would have included a funded MBA enrolment after a year of work), passed background checks, signed a contract only for them to rescind their offer due to my employers being aholes and not wanting me to leave my then current job as they were very short staffed ( because so many people kept leaving the position due to incompetent mangement are horrific work conditions) and went back on their word about giving me a good reference with an absolutely horrible one (the worst thing is that following this, they asked me to work overtime without extra pay and the saturday shifts I was working, i had no other staff members there as nobody wanted to work on saturdays...despite being an NHS institution which requires staff members and rotas).

was offered a medical affairs role with a top pharma company but due to covid (and being unable to relocate as I was identfied as a vulnerable individual), they resicnded their offer.

Since march, i have been stuck at home shielding (which will continue as my area may or may not have enteed another lockdown) but due to my idiot former employers refusing to let me go, they ended up paying 3 months gardening leave whilst i was jobsearching :lol: as soon as gardening leave finished, I started working for public health england as a covid19 clinician, which pays decently and involves addressing concerns about symptoms with COVID19 patients, following them up and identfiying people they may have been in contact with - its pretty dull but work is work. in the meantime, im continuing looking for jobs and have plans on upskilling but for now, Im doing this temp job from home.

* i was working at a non-foundation trust (I wish it was a foundation trust)
Original post by divine0624
Hi Annonymous. What's your situation now. Have you found employment now? I am planning to study pharmacy and I am wondering if I will struggle to get work.Thanks.

regarding struggling for work, it depends on geographical location and whether your willing to relocate (as well as how good your grades are, extra-curricular stuff at uni etc etc).

Original post by 0le
I know it is several months ago, but the fact you have had multiple interviews suggests you are nearly there. Perhaps just get some more tips on improving your interviewing skills and also tips on passing AC's.

hi see the above comments.
Original post by divine0624

might be late but will you be studying pharmacy ?
Hello, I’m glad you’ve found some new options once you come out of shielding. Hope you don’t mind me asking but I’ve been looking to move out of hospital pharmacy with the NHS into one of the careers you’ve mentioned (medical affairs / consultancy). I was mainly interested in being a medical science liaison but have since realised there is a very wide range of fields within the pharmaceutical industry. May I ask how you were able to get interviews because I have contacted some recruiters and they’ve said I don’t have the right sort of experience as an hospital pharmacist (3 years)?Many thanks in advance
Original post by J.paisley
Hello, I’m glad you’ve found some new options once you come out of shielding. Hope you don’t mind me asking but I’ve been looking to move out of hospital pharmacy with the NHS into one of the careers you’ve mentioned (medical affairs / consultancy). I was mainly interested in being a medical science liaison but have since realised there is a very wide range of fields within the pharmaceutical industry. May I ask how you were able to get interviews because I have contacted some recruiters and they’ve said I don’t have the right sort of experience as an hospital pharmacist (3 years)?Many thanks in advance

Hi, I havent found work for when shielding finishes but am still searchign whilst I work the covid 19 clinician job (most likely this job will finish when cvoid19 becomes a non-threat).

so with medical affairs, it in itself is quite massive and I had applied for an MI role (which is more or less the same as MI in hospitals). with MSL roles you need to apply for a lower role in pharma industry based on MSLs i spoke to (so stuff like MI) as new MSL roles are very hard to come by and essentially network/brown nose your way. Also for some reason, pharma companies like locum work (I have been a registered pharmacist for 5 years, broad experience across multiple geographical location) which to them seems appealing as MSLs essentially have to travel a lot. Personally, I will admit I am interested in applying for MSL as well but ideally would like to do something that doesnt require anywhere as much travelling.

the consultancy 1 was a bizarre opportunity which I thought to apply for the sake of it and somehow managed to get an interview (I think asking to meet the person who posted the interview, corresponding and physically meeting them, picking their brain and selling myself to get shortlisted for the interview helped) and was offered a job within 6 hours of my interview (sadly, we all know what happened thanks to the manager at the hospital I was working at). not all employers would do this (cough pharma companies and big audit companies but tech companies can be surprisingly friendly) but you wont know unless you try.
Hi, I havent found work for when shielding finishes but am still searchign whilst I work the covid 19 clinician job (most likely this job will finish when cvoid19 becomes a non-threat).

so with medical affairs, it in itself is quite massive and I had applied for an MI role (which is more or less the same as MI in hospitals). with MSL roles you need to apply for a lower role in pharma industry based on MSLs i spoke to (so stuff like MI) as new MSL roles are very hard to come by and essentially network/brown nose your way. Also for some reason, pharma companies like locum work (I have been a registered pharmacist for 5 years, broad experience across multiple geographical location) which to them seems appealing as MSLs essentially have to travel a lot. Personally, I will admit I am interested in applying for MSL as well but ideally would like to do something that doesnt require anywhere as much travelling.

the consultancy 1 was a bizarre opportunity which I thought to apply for the sake of it and somehow managed to get an interview (I think asking to meet the person who posted the interview, corresponding and physically meeting them, picking their brain and selling myself to get shortlisted for the interview helped) and was offered a job within 6 hours of my interview (sadly, we all know what happened thanks to the manager at the hospital I was working at). not all employers would do this (cough pharma companies and big audit companies but tech companies can be surprisingly friendly) but you wont know unless you try.

Thanks for your reply. I suppose you can look into MI positions again and use your covid clinician job as a reference. I think you need to ask HR for a reference at the hospital you were working at as they are not allowed to give you a poor reference by law.

I have looked up MSLs on LinkedIn to see the path other people took and it is quite varied, many don’t have a pharmacy degree at all.

Hi there mate. I'm in a similar / slightly worse situation to you atm - graduated in 2020 from MPharm, same as you got a 2.1. Did my pre-reg with Boots for 6 months, absolutely hated it due to terrible staff treatment. I've since left the place and currently planning on restarting my pre-reg year with an independent (for which I'm volunteering for 2x a week atm XD).

Ngl, I still don't find the prospects of doing pre-reg / working as a pharmacist appealing for in the next coming year / the rest of my life. I really wanted this role as a CTA at IQVIA, but they demanded previous training experience (which begs the question how else do I get experience without first being hired). Everywhere I looked I've been getting rejected....I dunno what else to do. I've even sent my CV off to an official organisation with gov.uk and the employment officer told me that it's an excellent C.V.

Do you have any tips / advice you can give?
Original post by scaphrax
Hi there mate. I'm in a similar / slightly worse situation to you atm - graduated in 2020 from MPharm, same as you got a 2.1. Did my pre-reg with Boots for 6 months, absolutely hated it due to terrible staff treatment. I've since left the place and currently planning on restarting my pre-reg year with an independent (for which I'm volunteering for 2x a week atm XD).

Ngl, I still don't find the prospects of doing pre-reg / working as a pharmacist appealing for in the next coming year / the rest of my life. I really wanted this role as a CTA at IQVIA, but they demanded previous training experience (which begs the question how else do I get experience without first being hired). Everywhere I looked I've been getting rejected....I dunno what else to do. I've even sent my CV off to an official organisation with gov.uk and the employment officer told me that it's an excellent C.V.

Do you have any tips / a

Hi do you know what happens if you leave the pre reg, I have concern about fundings but I also want to quit because of the work environment is not good at my store at tte moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending