What to include in personal statement? Watch

cotkhd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im planning to do aeronautical engineering and this is all the relevant stuff I have done; which ones should I include?

-DofE bronze*
-DofE silver*
-Cambridge headstart course for materials science engineering
-UCL James Dyson summer school of engineering
-A month of experience (not work experience) with a precision engineering firm
-Work experience with a precision engineer/welder
-Ex ATC air cadet for two years, have learnt about flight dynamics
-EPQ- building a remote control plane
-Have been attending a local garage every week to learn about cars with tools
-Part of the Cambridge autonomous underwater submarine team, I have tackled various electrical engineering problems
-Have attended a Cambridge open day where I was given the task to design a house (due in next month)
-RSPCA volunteer

**All the sections for my DofE awards have been completed however I just have the expeditions to do for both of them. I will be doing it but the only available dates are after the personal statement deadline, so in the personal statement am I able to write that I have completed them?

Also is this enough for a personal statement for Cambridge and Imperial? What else could I do?
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cotkhd)
Im planning to do aeronautical engineering and this is all the relevant stuff I have done; which ones should I include?

-DofE bronze*
-DofE silver*
-Cambridge headstart
-UCL James Dyson summer school
-Part of the Cambridge autonomous underwater submarine team, I have tackled various electrical engineering problems
-Have attended a Cambridge open day where I was given the task to design a house (due in next month)
-RSPCA volunteer

**All the sections for my DofE awards have been completed however I just have the expeditions to do for both of them. I will be doing it but the only available dates are after the personal statement deadline, so in the personal statement am I able to write that I have completed them?
I would add as much as possible but try not to make it sound like a list. Explain why the things you do shows your interest in the course. I applied for medicine and only had space to write about 3 things I did so you need to be careful of the character limit as well.
HeyImKate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

-DofE bronze*
-DofE silver*
-RSPCA volunteer

Also is this enough for a personal statement for Cambridge and Imperial? What else could I do?
I'd say focus on the things which are most relevant to you course, like the work experience or summer schools. Also unis like to see that you are prepared for them so include anything about the open days or projects you've undertaken for any uni, especially as it looks like you've done a lot for Cambridge, which will look pretty impressive. I'd say you probably won't be able to fit all this in, so be selective, and also don't forget to talk about stuff other than the academic side of things, like your hobbies or stuff you do out of school, because they like to see that you're a well rounded and interesting person, as well as having a passion for their subject
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely quality over quantity. Talk about the most relevant stuff that you can talk about your interests
cotkhd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by HeyImKate)
I'd say focus on the things which are most relevant to you course, like the work experience or summer schools. Also unis like to see that you are prepared for them so include anything about the open days or projects you've undertaken for any uni, especially as it looks like you've done a lot for Cambridge, which will look pretty impressive. I'd say you probably won't be able to fit all this in, so be selective, and also don't forget to talk about stuff other than the academic side of things, like your hobbies or stuff you do out of school, because they like to see that you're a well rounded and interesting person, as well as having a passion for their subject
Should I even mention stuff like DofE and volunteering?? They are completely irrelevant :s
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Should I even mention stuff like DofE and volunteering?? They are completely irrelevant :s
Prioritise your engineering experiences over voluntary work. I would put the relevant engineering projects in your "why I'm good for the subject section". Then in your skills section talk about your EPQ first as its further interest in engineering. Mention the DofE and voluntary work briefly later. Voluntary work tends to just be mentioned to boost someone's skills when its lacking. You have a hell of a lot of stuff to mention.
That 36 Boy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey this might be very late but I'm a bit curious. So which uni have you ended in?

-DofE bronze*
-DofE silver*
-RSPCA volunteer

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (219)
12.46%
Excited (165)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.52%
Terrified (388)
22.07%
Meh (180)
10.24%
Confused (38)
2.16%