Turn on thread page Beta

sikhs and interfaith relationships / marriage watch

hi
    i am a 18 year old sikh who's in love with a 22 year old who is not of the sikh background . i'm deeply struggling with what to do . i love him and know i want to be with him we have talked about marriage and kids etc
    although there are a few things i am weary about with him and potentially being married etc but that will come in the long run

my only issue is , being if a different faith my parents don't know so how do i tell them
    they are quite strict and having a bf let alone will set them off
    how do i tell them?

does anyone have any experience about things like this or is anyone in any relationships that have been successfull that can help
    it can be anything from having a successful relationship to telling parents etc

a bit more about my relationship
    it is sexual which i know is a big sin , but i felt ready to lose my virginity to him and it was comfortable although i wish i was older and ideally married . i'm not the type of girl to show off etc , i'm quite shy and geeky , love to study i have a bit of a low self esteem
    my family are not super religious but not at the end of the spectrum either many of my parents families have individuals who are baptised

i love being a sikh and i do love my boyfriend but in order to move on and know him better and be happy i need to let my parents know

i know sikhi doesn't allow an annad karij between a non sikh and a sikh but my bf says he wants to get married the sikh way because it's what i want etc and he's happy to do it

i don't think i'll ever want him to convert and i'll never force him to . i think i'd just get a court marriage or something but idk

but as the times going on i'm thinking it's better to leave the relationship idk i'm stuck there's religion and my parents then me overthinking about my relationship like i said i have low self esteem i love myself but not that much and recently that's been plaguing my mind making everything difficult for me personally .

please help
    any advice sikhs and on sikhs will be appreciated
    anyone in an interfaith relationship of any kind any tips
    any advice on telling my parents
    any advice in general please help
    any links or organisations or contacts that i could use

thank you

ReputationRep:
    What can you do really? If it's against your religion you're kinda screwed. :dontknow:

(Original post by cbreef)
    What can you do really? If it's against your religion you're kinda screwed. :dontknow:
    well it sort of is but i be seen loads of sikhs marry people of other colours and hindus etc

i'm just not sure interfaith
    i knwo many sikhs who have married white back and chinese women but idk if it would be the same for me and i'm just confused tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well it sort of is but i be seen loads of sikhs marry people of other colours and hindus etc

i'm just not sure interfaith
    i knwo many sikhs who have married white back and chinese women but idk if it would be the same for me and i'm just confused tbh
    What religion is your partner?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    My entire family are Sikh (I myself am more an atheist), girlfriend is Christian. My family have all been perfectly fine, but then they're definitely not as traditional as some Sikh families can be. How strict do your family consider their faith/people who aren't Sikh? Is there no leeway at all?

ReputationRep:

(Original post by cbreef)
    What religion is your partner?
    he is a sufi but his family are very relaxed his aunties and cousins have all married people outside of their faith and ethnicity

he is a sufi but his family are very relaxed his aunties and cousins have all married people outside of their faith and ethnicity
    I'm a Sikh and I wouldn't like if a Sikh married a Muslim, especially based on how our religion started. Also, please be careful. There are hundreds of cases of Muslim men taking Sikh girls.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...exual-grooming

I'm a Sikh and I wouldn't like if a Sikh married a Muslim, especially based on how our religion started. Also, please be careful. There are hundreds of cases of Muslim men taking Sikh girls.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...exual-grooming
    hi i completely understand your concern i have already been told about grooming etc
    remember watching sikh chanel with my mom on the grooming cases and special s that they had

this is where i'm torn
    i would hate the idea of my child getting into an interfaith relationship and would hate the idea of any of my siblings going into one
    i would be devasted and hurt
    but i'm in one
    i don't k ow what to do

hi i completely understand your concern i have already been told about grooming etc
    remember watching sikh chanel with my mom on the grooming cases and special s that they had

this is where i'm torn
    i would hate the idea of my child getting into an interfaith relationship and would hate the idea of any of my siblings going into one
    i would be devasted and hurt
    but i'm in one
    i don't k ow what to do
    You are only 18 years old. You've got your whole life ahead of you, why are you thinking of marriage now?

However, our religion is not compatiable with Islam, no matter how religious you are or he is. I think you need to have a very honest look at yourself and not think about the now, but think about the long term, which you are. As for children, there is no solution. Your children will probably be Muslim. Just think to yourself this may just be an infatuation and not real love.

Also, as Indians there is a position in society we all have. It's just the way our society works. By marrying a Muslim, your family is likely to suffer consequences as well. I know this may sound like the typical bull you hear but it's true and it's a limitation of the way we live.

All in all, at 18 you are far too young to be considering marriage and I would break up with your boyfriend if I were you. At the end of the day, this relationship just doesn't affect you but affects siblings and parents as well.

ReputationRep:
    whore , dont beg off our religioun when you dont even believe it you clown

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.