The Student Room Group

is buying designer clothing a waste of money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cecelia Tallice
Whereby an Indian workforce has been exploited to achieve the end product at such a small price.

Because label brands don't do the exact same thing lmao what a joke
Original post by study beats
ok primark peasant

John Smedley, Givenchy is what I usually wear.
£37 for an Armani polo isn't much it's a steal

No I don't think it's a waste of money I love my Versace clothing more than anything else I could find
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hirsty97
£37 for an Armani polo isn't much it's a steal

i saw it on offer mate, i quickly grabbed it

good choice i suppose ?
Fit, style and quality, in that order: label only insofar as it signifies the above.

With the exception of hip-hop subculture, where ostentatiousness is venerated and audacity considered tantamount to virtue, visible branding on garments simply advertises the designer's ego and the wearer's insecurity in more or less equal measure.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by usualsuspects
At that low price it probably wasn't good so it was a waste of money. Armani has different collections and some are **** (in my opinion).

I only buy designer clothes. Most of my friends would be very uneasy talking with someone wearing primark. Unless, as you say, it doesn't look from Primark (cheap etc.), which I doubt.

I'm sorry, but wtaf. You would feel uncomfortable talking to someone because they decided to save money or couldn't afford to buy expensive clothing or smply prefered Primark's clothes? Really, how? Why? Why on Earth should someone's clothing brand choice play any role?
Original post by study beats
i know you could but i still wanted ea7

So: not Armani, then. Don't forget to wear it while collecting your equally third-rate 'Computing Studies' degree.
Original post by Profesh
So: not Armani, then. Don't forget to wear it while collecting your equally third-rate 'Computing Studies' degree.

ea7 is armani you deluded ****

i might get a third rate computing degree, but i am glad i am not a moron like you
Original post by Kravence
Because label brands don't do the exact same thing lmao what a joke

Haha take it you've never bought anything exactly designer. Because if you ever buy anything Armani, Prada or Versace... Take a look at the label, its unlikely to say "made in Taiwan". Most Ralph Lauren merchandise is made in England.
Afterall wearing designer brands has got to be better than wearing cheap Primark tat. Whereby an Indian workforce has been exploited to achieve the end product at such a small price.

They all use sweatshops around the world, it is just the designer brands prefer using former soviet union sweatshops so they can put "Made in Europe" on theirs.
Haha take it you've never bought anything exactly designer. Because if you ever buy anything Armani, Prada or Versace... Take a look at the label, its unlikely to say "made in Taiwan". Most Ralph Lauren merchandise is made in England.

Actually, you'll find that Armani, Prada, D&G etc. manufacture products in china and other parts of Asia. You're naive if you genuinely believe they create everything Europe/USA. They would barely make any profit.
The items you see with the label 'made in Italy' was likely imported over from Asia without it being completed for it to be finished in Italy so it can legally state in was done there to fool sheep like yourself
If u don't get branded clothing how will u show ur fellow scum in the estate how much benefits u get?
Most Ralph Lauren merchandise is made in England.

So why is it that the Ralph Lauren shirt I am wearing which was purchased in England says "Made in Philippines" on the label?
I never buy expensive clothes but doesn't stop other people getting me them as gifts :teehee:
Reply 54
I haven't seen any mainstream designer brands made in European countries. I have a hoodie and a raincoat that are not branded and aren't as expensive, without the fancy logos and labeling but they're made in Germany.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Kravence
Actually, you'll find that Armani, Prada, D&G etc. manufacture products in china and other parts of Asia. You're naive if you genuinely believe they create everything Europe/USA. They would barely make any profit.
The items you see with the label 'made in Italy' was likely imported over from Asia without it being completed for it to be finished in Italy so it can legally state in was done there to fool sheep like yourself

If I recall correctly about 30% of the process must me made in the country for it to be labelled "Made in Italy". I know (from people in the industry) about some high fashion, traditional, high-quality Italian pieces being made in Africa. This specific case is one of the best regarded "made in Italy" brand and piece of cloth. As for other things, such as suits and coats, even if they make them in Italy they still employ only Chinese overworked slaves.
Reply 56
£37 for a designer polo is really nothing. They usually cost more.
Reply 57

I'm sorry to prove you wrong because I support designer (=good) clothing, but:
[see attachments]

I can assure you that all the rest of my ralph pieces are made in China, Vietnam and Indonesia as well, apart from suits, scarves and ties, which, as well as the Armani ones, are labelled "Made in Italy".
(edited 6 years ago)
Luxury brands are very overrated imo.

£37 is actually nothing. Look on Mr Porter and you will see plain cotton T Shirts for £200. Ridiculous.

I don't respect people who buy clothing simply because of brand or logo. I see plenty of young men who dress like pimps.

Having said that I'm not gonna pretend Primark is my favourite place to buy clothes. Obviously buying designer gear is more original and interesting.

My favourite brand is probably Scotch and Soda - a Dutch brand. Not exactly cheap but they do have very generous end of season sales. It tends to fit me perfectly and has absolutely no visible logos (yuck).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Fit, style and quality, in that order: label only insofar as it signifies the above.

With the exception of hip-hop subculture, where ostentatiousness is venerated and audacity considered tantamount to virtue, visible branding on garments simply advertises the designer's ego and the wearer's insecurity in more or less equal measure.

Couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending