When should I begin making notes and revising for GCSES? Watch

abbbbb2809
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When should I begin making notes and revising for GCSES? I am doing them in 2018! Thank you for all the help!
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abbbbb2809)
When should I begin making notes and revising for GCSES? I am doing them in 2018! Thank you for all the help!
There isn't really an ideal time to start revising, but in my opinion, the sooner the better as there would be more time to discover topics you are not sure about and you would have time to research about it/practice it, but realistically whenever you're ready.

When I did my GCSE's, I revised from October till May (So 7 months) however, from October to January it was light revision i.e doing some past papers, going over notes, making posters, then from January to May it was hardcore revision i.e creating revision cards, attempting to complete ALL revision guides, writing sample essays etc.
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"If you don't want to be disappointed on results day, you must work consistently hard throughout the year."

Advice from my GCSE Science teacher :P
Silhouette_A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I started revising in August by making notes and flashcards till September and from September till may which is 9 months I was going through my notes everyday and memorising them. From about march till May on top of going through my notes, I did past papers. By the time May came I was sooo prepared for my exams and I feel confident now that I've done really well.

Just make sure you start early and trust me it would be worth it.
username1801813
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
right this second. if you dont start now you'll fail all ofyour GCSE's and be destined to a life of utter failure and misery.
Spoiler:
Show

lol only joking. honestly, relax and enjoy summer. dont stress about them now. Feb-May is when i did my solid revision.

Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try and make all your year 10 notes during the summer holidays and for year 11 notes February or April, but start revising in January.
milliew284
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm taking my GCSE's in 2019, I'm going to start revising this summer, as I don't want to cram it all in year 11
Daydreamer3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by milliewindram)
I'm taking my GCSE's in 2019, I'm going to start revising this summer, as I don't want to cram it all in year 11
You're wasting your time, you will soon realise that when your GCSE's are finished.
You dont need to revise if your only in year 9, seriously, gcse's dont take that long to revise for.

You haven't even learnt the content yet, you should only make notes in Year 10 summer holidays and then revise them from January onwards in 2019.

I feel year 9's and year 10's get so stressed on knowing when to start revising, but honestly after year 11 you will see these people and laugh because you was exactly them.

The only thing you could be doing now is learning vocabulary like 'better' words and synonyms as that is a long term process and something you need to get higher grades in English.
Student2416
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say that I wrote up class notes in the autumn and spring terms of year 10 and other than that i just stayed on top of homework and didn't do much else. In the summer term of year 10 i didn't do any revision or class notes because I was doing all my coursework and controlled assessments in that term so it was all done in class apart from extra research and outside reading. I then didn't do anything over summer year 10. When i went back in year 11 i decided to revise a little bit every night for the autumn term and then a bit more in january, bit more in february and so on until Easter when i was revising a lot.
idontknow9
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let me tell you HONESTLY. Do your homework, turn up to class & don’t make notes, you already get all your notes. Start revising 1-2 weeks before the exams and do it intensely and you’ll be fine. I started revising 3 days before exams ans got 5A*’s & 5B’s. It really isn’t as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Just revise intensely.
Lexie16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my GCSEs last summer and the best advice I can give you is pace yourself with revision and just keep on top of work as others have suggested. If you have some spare time where you feel you’d like to do some work, then I suggest looking through past papers and seeing where you’re struggling and then revising that topic. But seriously, don’t stress!! If notes are a good method of revision for you then writing up notes of what you’ve studied in class as you study it is a really good thing to do so then when it comes to Easter you’ll have all your notes completed and ready to revise from.
When I was revising for my GCSEs I focused on subjects that I knew I needed to learn a lot for such as history and subjects that I struggled with which was French and created a revision timetable that gave these subjects more time than others. I also had intense revision in the few days before each exam and completed loads of past papers so I knew what to expect and how to answer the questions. I ended up with 7 A*s and 3 A’s and I couldn’t have been happier with my results but the main thing for me was the fact that I tried to keep my stress levels to a minimum and gave myself some ‘me’ time.
Hope this helps!!
username3753020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Silhouette_A)
I started revising in August by making notes and flashcards till September and from September till may which is 9 months I was going through my notes everyday and memorising them. From about march till May on top of going through my notes, I did past papers. By the time May came I was sooo prepared for my exams and I feel confident now that I've done really well.

Just make sure you start early and trust me it would be worth it.
How did you do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads