marinacalder
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Attachment 670358Attachment 670358670360Attachment 670358670360Hey guys, sorry I am new to step and am finding myself confused even with the marking in front of me... D:

I am really stumped over this projectile question in the step handbook by Steven Skilos, is my diagram correct? can anyone please explain how i would draw the second diagram and what is going on? whats with all the ls and the vt in the final part for tan(theta) ? I think I'm approaching it wrong... Ive been struggling for a few days nowName:
Anabolic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
>Attatchment not found.
marinacalder
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinacalder)
Attachment 670358Attachment 670358670360Attachment 670358670360Hey guys, sorry I am new to step and am finding myself confused even with the marking in front of me... D:

I am really stumped over this projectile question in the step handbook by Steven Skilos, is my diagram correct? can anyone please explain how i would draw the second diagram and what is going on? whats with all the ls and the vt in the final part for tan(theta) ? I think I'm approaching it wrong... Ive been struggling for a few days nowName:
Name:  image1-3.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  508.6 KBAttachment 670362670364
Attached files
marinacalder
Rep:
?
sorry
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You seem a bit confused about theta and the triangle required. As the ball falls down on its parabolic path, draw a tangent at the relevant point. Make a triangle.

Theta lies in the bottom right corner, tangent = hypoteneuse, opposite = y and adjacent = d - x (the length between point x and point d forms the adjacent of theta's triangle).

For the second bit, point d isn't stationary, it's moving left towards point x. Distance moved is vt. Their difference forms your adjacent side: (d - vt) - x.

Where me and the markscheme differ is they have a +L. Regardless, derivative of tan(theta) is constant.
marinacalder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Physics Enemy)
You seem a bit confused about theta and the triangle required. As the ball falls down on its parabolic path, draw a tangent at the relevant point. Make a triangle.

Theta lies in the bottom right corner, tangent = hypoteneuse, opposite = y and adjacent = d - x (the length between point x and point d forms the adjacent of theta's triangle).

For the second bit, point d isn't stationary, it's moving left towards point x. Distance moved is vt. Their difference forms your adjacent side: (d - vt) - x.

Where me and the markscheme differ is they have a +L. Regardless, derivative of tan(theta) is constant.
Ok, so in doing these questions what am I actually doing? Am I working with a co- ordinate system in terms of different variables for the same point? (sorry I'm self taught in mechanics)
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by marinacalder)
Ok, so in doing these questions what am I actually doing? Am I working with a co- ordinate system in terms of different variables for the same point? (sorry I'm self taught in mechanics)
Just sketch parabolas on the same x-y grid from (0, 0). I was pointing out theta on the way up is bottom left /_ but on the way down bottom right _\

In both parts the hyp of the triangle for @ is tangent to the curve and in the velocity's direction.

For the last part, ball's landing point moves left over time. So range is (d - vt) instead of d. So [(d - vt) - x] is the adjacent of our triangle for @.

But the markscheme has a +L, unsure why. I haven't looked much into the Q though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (98)
27.76%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (135)
38.24%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise