The Student Room Group

I need some help deciding...

Hi people of the Student Room,

Whenever my parents and I have a discussion about which 6th form I'm going to, we always end up arguing. This is because I have very strong opinions on staying at my current school, an outstanding free school which offers Mandarin (the subject I'm desperate to do and which the teacher has offered to have me as her only student for 😅). My parents, on the other hand, would like me to attend a private school and do an IB as I'm not sure what I would like to do in the future. Although I understand why an IB may be a good idea, this school doesn't offer Mandarin and as you may know, forces me to do English and science (as IBs do) which I'm not very willing to do.

I know this may be the longest post on here, but what do you suggest I do? Please respond honestly, I will not be offended. Thank you,
- E
Original post by Help_Pls
Hi people of the Student Room,

Whenever my parents and I have a discussion about which 6th form I'm going to, we always end up arguing. This is because I have very strong opinions on staying at my current school, an outstanding free school which offers Mandarin (the subject I'm desperate to do and which the teacher has offered to have me as her only student for 😅). My parents, on the other hand, would like me to attend a private school and do an IB as I'm not sure what I would like to do in the future. Although I understand why an IB may be a good idea, this school doesn't offer Mandarin and as you may know, forces me to do English and science (as IBs do) which I'm not very willing to do.

I know this may be the longest post on here, but what do you suggest I do? Please respond honestly, I will not be offended. Thank you,
- E

If you went to the private school you could do Mandarin on the side in your free time, this would look good on your personal statement for uni as you'd have 3 a-levels and a language, also you wouldn't have to the Mandarin exam(s) and can stop learning it whenever.
Reply 2
Original post by imHannah
If you went to the private school you could do Mandarin on the side in your free time, this would look good on your personal statement for uni as you'd have 3 a-levels and a language, also you wouldn't have to the Mandarin exam(s) and can stop learning it whenever.

Thank you for replying!

My parents suggested the same thing however, my issue with it is the fact that if I went to the private school, I'd be doing the IB which is where I have to take 6 subjects and taking Mandarin on the side would be quite intense for me but it is something I definitely want to do. Any other suggestions? Thank you very much for your answer though, much appreciated.
- E

Quick Reply