The Student Room Group

Thinking of getting into IT

Hi,
So I'm thinking of getting into IT however I need to take certain exams to get started such as comptia a+ and CCNA and maybe Microsoft servers however these exams are very expensive. Therefore I want to get into an apprenticeship. However my situation is very bad.

I took alevels in September 2015, retook them in September 2016 but now I want to get into an IT apprenticeship which covers those exams, however, I am already 18 now and have no experience or qualifications required for an apprenticeship (no btec lvl3 IT). Also to apply it has to be way before September but the year has finished and would I still be able to find a place if I apply now for September 2017. Also which apprenticeship level covers Comptia A+ and CCNA and are there entry requirements for it. Also is it too late since I am 18 and the apprenticeships start in September

Thanks

Also, I don't know what field of IT i want to specifically go into, but I was told that Comptia A+ and CCNA is the starting point to a route into IT, whether it is software engineering or network engineerig.
[list="1"]

Original post by mnc61

There are a number of IT apprenticeships available. Have you looked on the government website and at specific companies you are interested in/that are local to you?

A few companies I know of don't have an upper age limit on apprenticeships so this won't be an issue for you, however, applying for one in time for September is a big ask, as a lot of deadlines are around Easter time. Is there no other way you could get the experience and qualifications, maybe through self-teaching?

Is it essential to have it as a qualification or could you just present a portfolio of work to a prospective employer and a knowledge of the subject/language? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
There are a number of IT apprenticeships available. Have you looked on the government website and at specific companies you are interested in/that are local to you?

A few companies I know of don't have an upper age limit on apprenticeships so this won't be an issue for you, however, applying for one in time for September is a big ask, as a lot of deadlines are around Easter time. Is there no other way you could get the experience and qualifications, maybe through self-teaching?

Is it essential to have it as a qualification or could you just present a portfolio of work to a prospective employer and a knowledge of the subject/language? :smile:

What part of IT are you interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Got Milk
What part of IT are you interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've quoted the wrong person :tongue: (@mnc61)
You are not too late for an apprenticeship! You can study an apprenticeship until 24. Apply to various colleges near you.

If you enjoy networking: Take the A+, N+, then volunteer for network admin roles then after a few months take the CCNA and then apply for network engineer roles.

Take the A+, then do some help desk, IT support roles and work your way up.

For programming, software development: Pick a two languages, develop projects in those languages (software, websites, web apps, mobile apps), learn TDD, OOP, JavaScript & frameworks, SQL databases and apply for those jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending