The Student Room Group

Paracetamol

I've been taking 16 paracetamol a day for the last two weeks..purely accidental due to being taken with other medication. Will my liver/kidneys be compromised. I've only just realised today so have now.gone back down to 8 a day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You've been taking it 8 times a day? You're supposed to have at least 4 hour breaks in between. It's probably not done you any good but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Original post by Bluemoon45
I've been taking 16 paracetamol a day for the last two weeks..purely accidental due to being taken with other medication. Will my liver/kidneys be compromised. I've only just realised today so have now.gone back down to 8 a day

There are a lot of factors with Paracetamol.
You would not notice until to late as is shuts your organs down.

But as It is short term may be not. But you cannot tell for sure.
Go see your G.P immediately. Given that you've been taking twice the normal dose for 2 weeks, you need to see a doctor. Make sure from now on, you carefully check whether medicines you're taking contain paracetamol or not so you're not doubling up on the dose.
Original post by Mr Optimist
Go see your G.P immediately. Given that you've been taking twice the normal dose for 2 weeks, you need to see a doctor. Make sure from now on, you carefully check whether medicines you're taking contain paracetamol or not so you're not doubling up on the dose.

Or maybe 111 and talk to doctor
Original post by Rooster11366
Or maybe 111 and talk to doctor

Agreed, if they cannot get a hold of their G.P, they need to ring 111.
That is potentially a significant overdose of paracetamol that will at the very least require blood tests. My advice would be to attend A&E. There isn't much a GP could offer in this situation.
Original post by Etomidate
That is potentially a significant overdose of paracetamol that will at the very least require blood tests. My advice would be to attend A&E. There isn't much a GP could offer in this situation.

I would also agree with that.
Reply 8
If you ever take too much Paracetamol you should go to A&E immediately. You might not have any symptoms at first but it could be serious.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Painkillers-paracetamol/Pages/Introduction.aspx#overdose
(edited 6 years ago)
It is very bad for your liver so you could well have done damage. I would stop taking it for a while. Give your liver a rest. 8 a day is still a lot.
(edited 6 years ago)
I had no indicator that this individual is being dishonest. Such paracetamol overdose (accidental) do occur and can be fatal. Regardless, your comment is out of line. Don't make such encouragements with drugs, even as jest to someone you think is a troll.
Lmao!

Dude joins TSR and has only made one post about overdosing on paracetamol.

Funny that people are taking this crap seriously.
Original post by Lord_Mediocre
Lmao!

So just because this is their first post, it means we should automatically assume the thread starter is being dishonest? What type of logic is that? How many posts should they have before we can take their words for it? Like I said earlier, such issues with regards to medical overdose are not extremely uncommon. It doesn't matter if this is their first post on this forum, if people raise such issues, it's the job of those of us with some experience to aid/advice them. If they're doing this as a "joke", then the shame is on them.
Original post by Lord_Mediocre
Lmao!

Maybe that's why they made the account? Because they wanted to ask about it... ?
If us trying to advice people with seemingly important issues makes us a "noob" then I gladly be a "noob" instead of making childish comment encouraging further overdose.
If this is genuine,then go and see a doctor immediately.Thats way too much paracetamol.
I dont really believe though,since you should be dead if that was true.
Original post by ClearSky
Maybe that's why they made the account? Because they wanted to ask about it... ?

Joins a student forum seeking medical advice.......

The logic is strong with this one.
Reply 17
Thank you all for your advice. I'm actually at the doctors on Monday for all of you who do not believe me. I have a suspected slipped disc. I was admitted to a&e last Monday and put on morphine. So have now been put on tramadol, diazapam and naproxen. Due to the different dosages on each tablet, I got a bit confused and genuinely took the wrong dosage of paracetamol. But thank you to those who took the time out to reply.
If you don't have any experience within the healthcare setting, then I highly advice you do not get involved in such discussions because you are doing nothing constructive. It is more than possible people take multiple medicines containing paracetamol. Some branded medicines contain paracetamol but you may simply not be aware of it. That's why those of us working in a pharmacy always remind patients taking paracetamol to make sure the other products they purchase with multiple active ingredients also do not contain paracetamol. This way they may not accidentally overdose. The reason we go through the effort of reminding them is because such accidental overdose do happen.
8gm of Paracetamol would not do anything in three days. Long term is very different for Organ problems.

It would be a very slow and painful.

Quick Reply

Latest