The Student Room Group

My working out in Maths Exams: How many marks?

In the Maths GCSE, there were a couple of questions which I got wrong, but the working may or may not be good enough for me to gain marks. Is anyone willing to have guess as to how many marks I achieved for each question? (you can only help out on a few or one question if you want) Please put my mind at rest. Thanks!

-> Questions asking about events
Something similar to:

"why is daisy wrong? (lists 2 independent events) 12/23 and 2/23 chance respectively of happening. Daisy does 12+2 = 14, so 14/23 chance of both happening"

For a question like this in Paper 2, I said "because the events are independent"
For a question like this in paper 3 I said "because you have to multiply the probabilities, not add them"

Will only one get the mark, will both, or none at all?

->Some of my ****** in Paper 1 (including digital working out! woo!):

Spoiler

Spoiler

-> An inequalities question on Paper 3: worth 4 marks. "Give the 3 equations which satisfy these inequalities".
I give 3 equations, but instead of "less than or equal to" I simply put "less than". All 3 equations had the numbers correct - only that my signs did not include the 'or equal to'. Would that be no marks, or 1 mark?

I understand that this is a demanding topic and I might not get any replies. But it's worth a shot to see if I really have a chance at a Grade 9 or not. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Gabzinc
In the Maths GCSE, there were a couple of questions which I got wrong, but the working may or may not be good enough for me to gain marks. Is anyone willing to have guess as to how many marks I achieved for each question? (you can only help out on a few or one question if you want) Please put my mind at rest. Thanks!

Something similar to:

"why is daisy wrong? (lists 2 independent events) 12/23 and 2/23 chance respectively of happening. Daisy does 12+2 = 14, so 14/23 chance of both happening"

For a question like this in Paper 2, I said "because the events are independent"
For a question like this in paper 3 I said "because you have to multiply the probabilities, not add them"

Will only one get the mark, will both, or none at all?

->Some of my ****** in Paper 1 (including digital working out! woo!):

Spoiler

Spoiler

-> An inequalities question on Paper 3: worth 4 marks. "Give the 3 equations which satisfy these inequalities".
I give 3 equations, but instead of "less than or equal to" I simply put "less than". All 3 equations had the numbers correct - only that my signs did not include the 'or equal to'. Would that be no marks, or 1 mark?

I understand that this is a demanding topic and I might not get any replies. But it's worth a shot to see if I really have a chance at a Grade 9 or not. :smile:

I can have a look at these for you. But tor the independent events question, why are you referring to Paper 1, 2 and 3? I don't really understand that.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
I can have a look at these for you. But tor the independent events question, why are you referring to Paper 1, 2 and 3? I don't really understand that.

It's because there were questions on independent events on both papers 2 and 3. For Paper 2 I believe it was something to do with scoring goals... on paper 3 it was something to do with Zoe's calculations. I reasoned differently for both papers, and I'm wondering if they warrant marks.

Also, thank you very much for offering to look at these! I greatly appreciate it.
Reply 3
Original post by Gabzinc

Starting with the vectors question : I predict you will get 1/4 for this since your working after finding XD was incorrect. You may get a process mark for setting your XD equal to their XD. So I'll say the maximum you could get for this question is 2/4.
Reply 4
Original post by Gabzinc

Looks like you'll get 2/3 for the cone question - one mark dropped for not rounding 98.
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
Starting with the vectors question : I predict you will get 1/4 for this since your working after finding XD was incorrect. You may get a process mark for setting your XD equal to their XD. So I'll say the maximum you could get for this question is 2/4.

Original post by Notnek
Looks like you'll get 2/3 for the cone question - one mark dropped for not rounding 98.

Yeah I thought my working seemed a bit off in the exam, no time to reconsider it though. And I'm pleased with the cone question, although I thought I would only get 1 as I lose one for not rounding 98, and lose another for not getting a final answer of 4.

Thanks for your help!
Reply 6
Original post by Gabzinc
And I'm pleased with the cone question, although I thought I would only get 1 as I lose one for not rounding 98, and lose another for not getting a final answer of 4.

None of my predictions are guaranteed but I think the marks will be laid out so that you would only lose 1 mark for this.
Reply 7
Original post by Gabzinc

I think you'll get full marks for this. In old exams you would have definitely got full marks. Since these are new 9-1 exams and this type of question hasn't appeared in any specimen exams, I can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty confident.
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek
I think you'll get full marks for this. In old exams you would have definitely got full marks. Since these are new 9-1 exams and this type of question hasn't appeared in any specimen exams, I can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty confident.

OMG WHAT?
That's a pleasant surprise. Was ready to get no marks for this... this pretty much made my day. Sorry for the live commentary on your thoughts, but my emotions can't hold back. Wow! Time to calculate a new overall mark.
Reply 9
Original post by Gabzinc

Something similar to:

In paper 2 the question (1 mark) asked you to explain what was wrong with Mr Slater adding the probabilities. The correct response is to say that he should have multiplied them instead. Mentioning independence here would not have given you a mark.

The paper 3 question was nothing to do with independence or multiplying probabilities so you'll also get no marks for this question. The correct response would have been to mention that the events might not be "mutually exclusive" or say something that means the same thing. I'm predicting that this question will have been done very badly by most students.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek
In paper 2 the question (1 mark) asked you to explain what was wrong with Mr Slater adding the probabilities. The correct response is to say that he should have multiplied them instead. Mentioning independence here would not have given you a mark.

The paper 3 question was nothing to do with independence or multiplying probabilities so you'll also get no marks for this question. The correct response would have been to mention that the events might not be "mutually exclusive" or say something that means the same thing. I'm predicting that this question will have been done very badly by most students.

That's understandable I guess. Although I'm not quite sure what the difference is between 'mutually exclusive' and 'independent'. I'm pretty sure this is my first time hearing about 'mutually exclusive', ha ha.

Taking your predictions into account, I can say that I've increased overall by about 5 marks, which has a positive impact on my self esteem. Thank you a whole lot!

Quick Reply

Latest