The Student Room Group

Need advice! Should I continue taking 4 A-levels?

At this moment in time, I'm finishing off year 12, studying Maths, Politics, Economics and History. It is my goal of studying Economics at LSE.
I'm really stuck in making a decision for next year however. My dilemma is if I take 4 subjects next year, that I'll been too spread out and won't be able to achieve my aspirations (A* Maths, A, A). I'd be dropping History.
Because most of my subjects are linear, I have only sat my Maths and Politics exams, which I think I have achieved well in. But even with these exams, I felt I was panicked and stressed with the workload.
Is it really worth doing 4 A-levels? Do universities really recognise the achievement, or am I better off dropping History and focusing on my 3?
Drop history.Whats better A*,A,A or B,B,B,C
Reply 2
hi mate,

i would recommend that you take 3 A-levels rather than 4 because the final year of college is a total headache.
Original post by wilsonfowler
At this moment in time, I'm finishing off year 12, studying Maths, Politics, Economics and History. It is my goal of studying Economics at LSE.
I'm really stuck in making a decision for next year however. My dilemma is if I take 4 subjects next year, that I'll been too spread out and won't be able to achieve my aspirations (A* Maths, A, A). I'd be dropping History.
Because most of my subjects are linear, I have only sat my Maths and Politics exams, which I think I have achieved well in. But even with these exams, I felt I was panicked and stressed with the workload.
Is it really worth doing 4 A-levels? Do universities really recognise the achievement, or am I better off dropping History and focusing on my 3?

Just saying that if you keep 4 they are gonna make you an offer for 4, they will want A*AAA most likely. You're far better off dropping a subject and getting an A*AA offer which is hard enough in itself if you don't revise from the start

On the other hand, the link im about to post is for Cambridge economics but you could expect a similar situation for LSE. The second to last page shows just how many of their students have 4 A levels (and which ones). I think only 14 or 15 students had 3 A levels, rest had 4 to 7

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/410856/response/999794/attach/2/FOI%202017%20266%20Briscoe%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf
Wow, thank you. With this in mind, I think I'm going to contact LSE and see what information I can get from them (without filing a FOI request). Thanks again.
Original post by addingishard
Just saying that if you keep 4 they are gonna make you an offer for 4, they will want A*AAA most likely. You're far better off dropping a subject and getting an A*AA offer which is hard enough in itself if you don't revise from the start

On the other hand, the link im about to post is for Cambridge economics but you could expect a similar situation for LSE. The second to last page shows just how many of their students have 4 A levels (and which ones). I think only 14 or 15 students had 3 A levels, rest had 4 to 7

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/410856/response/999794/attach/2/FOI%202017%20266%20Briscoe%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf
Wow, thank you. With this in mind, I think I'm going to contact LSE and see what information I can get from them (without filing a FOI request). Thanks again.

infact someone probably already did it, if you scan through these you might find something to do with admissions

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/lse/successful?#results
I've been recommended by Oxford and Warwick to take four a levels. Different subject matter (Ancient and Modern History), but maybe a similar situation. However, if you've been stressed and overworked this year it might be worth dropping history.
Reply 7

I'd say drop one!

Quick Reply

Latest