hanifahsule17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is the best way to start my personal statement, I was thinking of using a quote, but I don't know if that is too unoriginal or cliche. I really want to make my personal statement stand out and make it unique. Could you also advise me on how to structure my personal statement to efficiently use the allocated word count. I am also aiming for Cambridge university as my aspiration as University
Thank you very much
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hanifahsule17)
What is the best way to start my personal statement, I was thinking of using a quote, but I don't know if that is too unoriginal or cliche. I really want to make my personal statement stand out and make it unique. Could you also advise me on how to structure my personal statement to efficiently use the allocated word count. I am also aiming for Cambridge university as my aspiration as University
Thank you very much
Don't use a quote. You need to use that word count for your own words, not someone else's.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Short,sweet and powerful summary of why you want to study medicine
check some out here but be warned some are absolutely atrocious here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nal-statements
this from oxford medicine example ps
"
Choosing to study medicine is not a decision I have taken lightly. It isn't a career I have wanted to do since a particularly young age, nor did a life changing event prompt my choice. I have thought very long and hard before deciding to apply.
Admissions tutors may be sceptical of exaggerated descriptions of a revelatory moment or lifelong desire to become a doctor."
My own one was similar to the one above- dont go for the classic cliche i always wanted to be a doctor because science fascinates me and i like helping people.
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very much
Start of with your personal circumstances. Why is medicine your preferred choice? Pretend it's like an essay, meaning start with a very broad statement and work your way down to more detail.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Think about why you want to do Medicine - not as a degree but as a career - and when you actually realised that was what you wanted to do - why/when/what was that moment. In two sentences, that is your opening section.
PsychopathOrally
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't ramble or waste the words unnecessarily on quotes. Let it be short, to the point yet demonstrating your passion for the subject. I personally started with a few lines about what is required in medicine and how I have demonstrated that I have those skills.
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have completed mine - would you like to read it?
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by reality check)
don't use a quote. You need to use that word count for your own words, not someone else's.
i strongly agree with you.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
Dont post your ps until the end of this ucas cycle just to be safe, that is, till results day
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
NEVER share your PS!

Any sharing, here or anywhere else, means anyone can copy your PS.
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dwarf-Shortage)
Dont post your ps until the end of this ucas cycle just to be safe, that is, till results day
(Original post by returnmigrant)
NEVER share your PS!

Any sharing, here or anywhere else, means anyone can copy your PS.
Thanks for your advice guys, I was just joking around
JamesElliman1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The advise that I got a few years from a junior doctor was to think of all of the aspects that make a doctor great. Think about compassion, empathy, leadership, teamwork, communication etc. then you want to cover all of those points in your PS. For example: "whilst on an work experience programme in hospital 'x', i learnt how important communication is in making the patient feel comfortable as doctors calmly explained their plan of treatment to them and their families."

In terms of standing out and uniqueness. Your experiences will drive your application for medicine. Applying for Cambridge, you must have done quite a lot of work experience programmes and long-term voluntary positions. Your reasons for choosing hospital 'a' over 'b' ward 'c' over 'd' will make the difference when someone is reading it - this will make you stand out - if your reasons are solid, consistent and meaningful. For example (my personal motivations): "I wanted to understand the differences between a civilian surgeon and a military surgeon. I have had a major interest in joining the Army since a young child. I attended a 5 day work experience programme at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham as they used to be the major trauma centre for military personnel in the Midlands, for which they still hold a tri-service presence today. I decided to focus my experience on the Trauma & Orthopaedics theatres as I believe that through this observation experience I could better understand the role of surgeons and surgical support staff in field hospitals and get a first hand perspective of the role and responsibilities of this career etc."
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JamesElliman1993)
The advise that I got a few years from a junior doctor was to think of all of the aspects that make a doctor great. Think about compassion, empathy, leadership, teamwork, communication etc. then you want to cover all of those points in your PS. For example: "whilst on an work experience programme in hospital 'x', i learnt how important communication is in making the patient feel comfortable as doctors calmly explained their plan of treatment to them and their families."

In terms of standing out and uniqueness. Your experiences will drive your application for medicine. Applying for Cambridge, you must have done quite a lot of work experience programmes and long-term voluntary positions. Your reasons for choosing hospital 'a' over 'b' ward 'c' over 'd' will make the difference when someone is reading it - this will make you stand out - if your reasons are solid, consistent and meaningful. For example (my personal motivations): "removed"
Have to disagree to an extent. Naming hospitals is not necessary - yes, some are more "prestigious" than others but for 6th form work experience this doesn't matter in the slightest, as geography, contacts and finances mean that not everyone has the same opportunities to go to a famous name place, so it would be unfair for med schools to discriminate on that basis.

Would also recommend you don't post large chunks of your PS on here. And I could slash the word count on that piece hugely!
Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Given the sheer number of medical applications universities receive, I highly doubt they commonly come across a personal statement that is truly "unique". The most important thing is to justify your application with the use of practical experience and be honest as why you're deciding on becoming a medic. If your reasons are appropriate then you should be fine. I find people spend so much time trying turn their statements "unique" by all sorts of weird and wonderful methods. In reality, the real uniqueness of your personal statement can come from the fact your life experiences are most probably the most unique thing about you and from my experience, that is usually not utilised as best it can be when it comes to writing a personal statement etc. I remember when I had started my personal statement for university, I had started much later than everyone else who had spends literally days on it, I sat down for about 2 hours and after having wrote what I thought was a 'cheesy' description of my life experience and reasons for my application, I was surprised with how impressed the head of my course was with it. His words were ' If I was deciding who to interview, I would definitely offer you an interview". Don't underestimate the power of self reflection. Self reflect as to why you truly want to do something and you can be left surprised with the outcome.
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
. Applying for Cambridge, you must have done quite a lot of work experience programmes and long-term voluntary positions. ."
I disagree with this. If anything, it is Cambridge University that wouldn't be too fussed about a lack of work experience and/or voluntary placements in comparison to other universities.
AlphaWolfZ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I disagree with this. If anything, it is Cambridge University that wouldn't be too fussed about a lack of work experience and/or voluntary placements in comparison to other universities.
X
Second this, I got an interview at Cambridge for Medicine with 0 Work experience and volunteering. Yes, absolutley nothing. Do I recommend it? Hell no but for Oxbridge, it doesn't really matter much as they are more sticklers for academia
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very much
I started my personal statement with the reasons of why I want to become a doctor
OsamaTheLlama
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes please
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OsamaTheLlama)
yes please
I was joking bro...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.72%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.37%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.67%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (71)
27.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.15%

Watched Threads