The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

the truth about government and history at LSE?

hello there folks,

anyone with any knowledge of the subject know how good LSE really is with regards to these subjects as a joint degree? More importantly, what are the job prospects if you graduate from there with a good degree (2.1 or higher)?
Also, i know im asking a good few questions here, but what are the chances of getting in with:
GCSE's: english lit A*, english lang A*, religious studies A*, History A*, Spanish A, science dual award AA, maths B art B
AS levels: Spanish A, english lang/lit A, History A, PolItics A, general studies B

all with UMS scores of between 280-300.
I know that the standard offer is ABB, but the IB-38 points is quite worrying as thats roughly equal to AAA or something. Also, 157 applications for 14 places??!!

Thanks,
Reply 1
arranque
Also, 157 applications for 14 places??!!

Yep, that is a typical LSE rate.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
arranque
hello there folks,

anyone with any knowledge of the subject know how good LSE really is with regards to these subjects as a joint degree? More importantly, what are the job prospects if you graduate from there with a good degree (2.1 or higher)?
Also, i know im asking a good few questions here, but what are the chances of getting in with:
GCSE's: english lit A*, english lang A*, religious studies A*, History A*, Spanish A, science dual award AA, maths B art B
AS levels: Spanish A, english lang/lit A, History A, PolItics A, general studies B

all with UMS scores of between 280-300.
I know that the standard offer is ABB, but the IB-38 points is quite worrying as thats roughly equal to AAA or something. Also, 157 applications for 14 places??!!

Thanks,

1/ The standard offer is deceptive, it's usually much lower than the grades of those actually accepted, which vary from AAB-AAA, especially in popular subjects.

2/LSE tends to be a cutting edge place in all the subjects it teaches, with the possible exception of geography.

As for jobs, the more international and cosmopolitan the profession is the more doors the LSE name will open. If you want to sell cars in Yorkshire it doesn't really matter: your bosses will probably have heard of LSE, but only Oxbridge will really make them sit up and take notice.
On the other hand if you want to join a leading city law firm, a major newspaper, or a foreign ministry or if you want to be an academic, virtually anywhere in the world, then the chances are that the LSE brand on your CV will make a real difference.
Reply 3
I'm starting LSE to do History in October. I'm not too sure about the joint degree, but straight History is very well regarded. A History degree is always a bit dodgy on the employment statistics, but i'm hoping the fact that it is from LSE will aid my cause. It really depends what you want to do; I think a History (and Government) degree will be useful for law firms, but I haven't really researched anything else.
You really need to think about what kind of History you are in to, LSE only really does modern history (i.e. post 1900). The department seemed friendly enough when I visited.
I don't think LSE are anal about grades. By the looks of it they go by a good personal statement, and interestingly enough, an interest to study languages further. Hope it helps, but it is all subjective.
Reply 4
thanks to both of you, you've certainly helped. Yes, i am generally more interested in the post-1900 area of history, it also seems to tie in nicely with the 'government' part of the joint degree. If you dont mind divulging this information, may i ask what GCSE and A level grades you obtained and what your standard offers were? Lastly, it is convenient for me that LSE seems to favour those who wish to study modern languages as i wish to continue studying spanish and possibly begin another, perhaps Russian?
thanks,
Reply 5
arranque
thanks to both of you, you've certainly helped. Yes, i am generally more interested in the post-1900 area of history, it also seems to tie in nicely with the 'government' part of the joint degree. If you dont mind divulging this information, may i ask what GCSE and A level grades you obtained and what your standard offers were? Lastly, it is convenient for me that LSE seems to favour those who wish to study modern languages as i wish to continue studying spanish and possibly begin another, perhaps Russian?
thanks,

I got six a*'s and four a's at GCSE, and four A's and a merit in AEA History this year. My AS' weren't great though, I got an A and four B's, but the A was in English Lit-not History. I'm not really sure what they are after, people were rejected with much better grades than those. I am looking to pick up French again, from GCSE level, but might start Russian or German instead because i'm interested in 'communist' and secret services history. Hope your application goes well, i'm sure it will :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending