Economics at uni without taking it at A level?

Watch
mathsforeverhelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I was just wondering whether it is possible or advised to apply for E&M or PPE without taking the relevant subjects at A level if I can show independent reading of the subject(s)? I'm also aware that I have no essay subjects. Currently, I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Is it really rare for people to apply without it, and would I be severely disadvantaged?

Also, for experimental Psychology, do people apply without Psychology and is it advised?

Thank you.

Think I have tagged an admissions person but if anyone else has any insights, please help!

Edit: GCSEs were 9A*s, 3As and A level predicted 4A*s if that's any help
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mathsforeverhelp)
Hi,

I was just wondering whether it is possible or advised to apply for E&M or PPE without taking the relevant subjects at A level if I can show independent reading of the subject(s)? I'm also aware that I have no essay subjects. Currently, I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Is it really rare for people to apply without it, and would I be severely disadvantaged?

Also, for experimental Psychology, do people apply without Psychology and is it advised?

Thank you.

Think I have tagged an admissions person but if everyone else has any insights, please help!

This isn't an official opinion, but I think an essay subject would be preferable for PPE. E&M is definitely possible without economics A-level, though, especially since you're doing further maths and maths is very important for university economics. You just need to be clear about why you're interested in studying economics if you haven't had any previous experience with it.

Psychology is not a highly-regarded A-level; your two sciences should be perfectly fine for experimental psychology, but again it's important to be clear about your interest for the sake of interviews/personal statement etc..
mathsforeverhelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
This isn't an official opinion, but I think an essay subject would be preferable for PPE. E&M is definitely possible without economics A-level, though, especially since you're doing further maths and maths is very important for university economics. You just need to be clear about why you're interested in studying economics if you haven't had any previous experience with it.

Psychology is not a highly-regarded A-level; your two sciences should be perfectly fine for experimental psychology, but again it's important to be clear about your interest for the sake of interviews/personal statement etc..
Thank you for your help! Ah glad to hear that, I just want to see what options are open to me at this point, I'm so indecisive!
JickDee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The vast vast majority (90%+) of A level applicants for Econ at oxbridge and LSE have taken Econ A level. If your school doesnt offer Econ A level then they wont mind but if they do then unless you really show indepth further reading of econ in yiur personal statement, it will be hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure why this question is bandied about so much on here, since it's answered on almost every course entry requirements page.

Every single major university offering an Economics course, including the London School of Economics itself, do not state any requirement for A-level Economics, nor do they even that often indicate a preference for it. In fact PPE at Oxford specifically states it considers History the best preparation for the course (they also highly value Maths). If you have the option to take it, it's helpful, but as long as you have a strong quantitative background and keep up to date on economic affairs to demonstrate an awareness of and interest in the subject beyond "I want to be a banker because I'd like to be rich".

Maths and if applicable Further Maths is much more valuable to universities in assessing a candidates aptitude for undergraduate level Economics.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mathsforeverhelp)
Hi,

Thank you.

Think I have tagged an admissions person but if anyone else has any insights, please help!

Many thanks for the tag.

Here are links to the course requirements for E&M and Psychology.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...agement?wssl=1
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...imental?wssl=1

In our experience, there has been a rise in the numbers of applicants studying Economics or Psychology at A-level. We don't think, however, you would be at a disadvantage not studying these subjects since they are not essential requirements. Selectors will look at other factors, including the TSA results, when shortlisting.

Brasenose Admissions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.32%
I don't have everything I need (94)
38.68%

Watched Threads